Most Significant Books/Poems (2 Viewers)

What do you think were the most significant books in Bukowskis Career?

In my opinion, fame wise I think Ham on Rye, Post Office and Women impacted Bukowski's career the greatest. I don't think these are his best works (well, actually I do think Ham on Rye is definitely top five) I just think that they had the most impact for Bukowski.

Barfly.

It made Bukowski a recognizable name.

Movies, and Carl Weissner, helped make
Bukowski who he was.

Oh.

And John Marin.

Did I spell that right?
Marin? Marlin? Marten?

John Maritn?

In my opinion, fame wise I think Ham on Rye, Post Office and Women impacted Bukowski's career the greatest. I don't think these are his best works (well, actually I do think Ham on Rye is definitely top five) I just think that they had the most impact for Bukowski.

Your opinion pretty much sums up my picks, but you need to add all of his books of poetry.

Interesting opinion. I don't know about sales figures of those novels versus the many books of poetry, but I imagine that Post Office has probably sold more than most, despite it not being his best work. And generally novels sell better than poetry, as I think JM would have pointed out to Bukowski in 1970 :rolleyes:

Carl Weissner's translations? Certainly made Bukowski's name in Germany, and other parts of Europe.

And Barfly (the movie), definitely caused a huge leap there in the fame stakes - for a while at least. Factotum (movie) to a lesser extent.

What about Notes of a Dirty Old Man, the column? The original City Lights edition of Erections?

Really it depends how you want to define significant? Obviously It Catches and Crucifix were very significant to Bukowski himself. Burning In Water would be up high on his list too I'd imagine. In his introduction he clearly draws lines in his history.

So how would you like to define significant?

Barfly.

It made Bukowski a recognizable name.

Movies, and Carl Weissner, helped make
Bukowski who he was.

Oh.

And John Marin.

Did I spell that right?
Marin? Marlin? Marten?

John Maritn?

Total "K" with Padre. The world was exposed beyond subculture. (And the Marlins are a team playing the Phillies tonight, but that's another thread -- lol.)

In short:

The Roominghouse Madrigals just about ruined every other writer for me. I know that may sound harsh, as I dig Poe, PBS, Shakes, JK, DT, HST, and some others. But good God, read, "Old Man Dead In A Room." If it doesn't move you, stare up at your gravestone. It will read, "Tried."

And BTW: if I ever put my numbered copy up for sale, don't turn to page 53, as there are a few thumbprints...

Strike that thought. I have two copies. Neither of which will ever be for sale.

Pax,

HM

women

great as buks poetry was/is
he woulda never had this site ie made it big
iffin he hadnta writ post office.
both he and john martin knew it was gonna take a novel
to make the leap.
post office, factotum , the black sparrow poetry of the time and
city lights la press stories created a buzz
but it was still way underground
and then women appeared
with just enough sex drugs and rock and roll
to interest everybody

that was the book!

and black sparrows john martin deserves massive credit
before black sparrow, trying to find buk books was tough.
enter black sparrow & all of a sudden buk was in all the hip bookstores
and even some hipper chainstores
and with books that stayed in print and went thru editions

it always comes down to

women

of course
what else?

This depends, of course, on how one defines "significant" in this context. For me it was always the short stories that gave me a clear view of who Bukowski was. The poems tell you about his life, and, sometimes, very rarely, his feelings. The short story compilations like Tales of Ordinary Madness or The Most Beautiful Woman in Town gives one a sense and a picture of the caliber of his life, what he was all about.

If your speaking in a fame sense, I'd say Ham on Rye and Post Office, hands down. That's what people are always talking about when you mention Bukowski right, "the guy who wrote Ham on Rye?". Household names - are they significant? What makes something significant? How can you say something is significant if significance is subjective? Why do I keep saying 'significant' over and over?

I do however agree that Barfly gave him a name. Barfly is a piece of art that the the film adaptation of Factotum didn't touch. Factotum was great, sure. Factotum was the poem, Barfly was the story.

I would humbly disagree - and throw this into the mix. I think the poems were more in line with his inner self, his noir - the black and white of his existence. His short stories were fun, exaggerations of existence, playing with the world and the words. And Barfly perhaps didn't give him a name (already had one), it gave him a soap box. An alter for those who didn't understand (or know) his preaching to listen and observe. All hell had already broken loose; now, just on an international stage (already, part II) -- which was well deserved, in my mindset.

Am I allowed to contradict myself over and over again (lol)

Am I allowed to contradict myself over and over again (lol)

Do you contradict yourself? Very well then, you contradict yourself. ;)

I would humbly disagree - and throw this into the mix. I think the poems were more in line with his inner self, his noir - the black and white of his existence. His short stories were fun, exaggerations of existence, playing with the world and the words. And Barfly perhaps didn't give him a name (already had one), it gave him a soap box. An alter for those who didn't understand (or know) his preaching to listen and observe. All hell had already broken loose; now, just on an international stage (already, part II) -- which was well deserved, in my mindset.

Some poems were and some poems weren't. Bluebird is a big example of his "inner self" his "noir" if you choose to call it that... but for example, his various poems about the racetrack, his day-to-day perspective and doings. Sure, that has a lot to do with a person, it has a shitload to do with it. But the short stories, particularly Tales of Ordinary Madness was the first thing I ever read by Buk, and I felt it to the core. So I guess I'm somewhat biased in feeling a special bond to the short stories. That's where I met Bukowski. I've understood and well-liked literature before. But no author before Buk has ever spoke to me like that.

/end sappy here.

I agree with Father Luke that Barfly made Bukowski known in a wider audience...Also I think that many people(at least in Europe) know his novels especially Women and Ham on Rye but ignore many of his poetry which is a shame because Buk considered himself a poet after all.But also I think that it isn't very important which books made him well known really.It's a fact that many great writers became well known with their most weak works while their masterpieces were left in shadow.I believe that the really important issue is in fact which of Buk's novels or poems made an impact on us personally...And there are many of them...!

Do you contradict yourself? Very well then, you contradict yourself. ;)

Contradickt? Yes; in threads from some of the other clothes I've haphazardly worn and written - not worrying aobut spelinlg or content. Most times I type; very rarely rite. I'm homonym phobec.

coorrect me if i'm wrong, but hcb was on the dime when he was writing many of the short stories: entertainment. and most of the poems (early ones that i dig) were written for other reasons: like trying to ignite "would in a fireplace."

but wtf do i know; i'm not an aexpert. just a buk junky. a collecotr or the remeants of pepele.

that is my mirror.

pax,

Well. Everything Buk writes is entertaining to me, haha. In one capacity or another. In the short stories, I feel like I'm there with him. The poems make me feel what he felt, or recognize that someone else has felt that, too. The novels, I'm just a raptured observer. All 3 are excellent, however.

lolgi: i started a writing career in albany, ny, that somehow lead to where i am now. i still don't have a compass, and the words are gone. i've replaced vowels and consonants with old holland hues and pigments. but i do remember where i purchased one of my first BUK books. it was an indie on central avenue, albany, ny. just curious if it is still there; however, i am on my fourth doberman pinscher since then...to give you a time parable....homeless mind

Shit man. I grew up in Albany, then later East Greenbush, now I'm in Troy. Started the writing in East Greenbush in an inherited house from my grandparents - the place was like the money pit, but it was home, y'know? I can't write since I've been sober, at least I don't think I can. That place is still there, man :). I purchased my first in the Borders on Broadway in Saratoga, during track season. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back