Mueck to my ears (1 Viewer)

I went to the Ottawa National Gallery on the weekend (free tickets) and saw the baby and old woman sculptures of this guy.
I never knew he existed until Sunday.
I don't claim to know what art is-but this is it for me.
http://images.google.ca/images?hl=en&q=mueck&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2
Stumbling on to this guys work was like reading Bukowski for the first time or hearing Husker DU New Day Rising for the first time-WTF??
So I thought that perhaps a cool thread may be great firsts-moments when you saw heard tasted touched smelled read something that changed your perception of peception.
And apologies if this thread exists but I've forgotten.

Thanks Jimmy Snerp, this photo was very bizarre from the link.
284772718_f0938e0c38.png

I remember seeing his 'Boy' when it was part of the exhibition at the Millennium Dome in London - really made an impact when seen in the 'flesh'.

I never knew he existed until Sunday.
Stumbling on to this guys work was like reading Bukowski for the first time or hearing Husker DU New Day Rising for the first time-WTF??
So I thought that perhaps a cool thread may be great firsts-moments when you saw heard tasted touched smelled read something that changed your perception of peception.
And apologies if this thread exists but I've forgotten.

I can't recall the first time I saw Mueck's
(rhymes with Buick) work, but it wasn't in person. I envy
you that.

I recall finding out about Banksy for the first time.
I was rather tickled. If you have never seen his
leopard film, really - it's not to be missed.

I recall watching Ernie Kovacs for the first time.
Chris Angel, Buster Keaton. I still have a love
affair with Buster Keaton.

There are a few firsts. Mueck is among them.
I'll think of more later.

Thanks Jimmy Snerp.

Thank you to Father Luke for reminding us of the direction of Jimmy Snerp's 1st post.

Body Worlds changed a few things in perception for me. It's not that bad but a lot of people cannot handle it.
Buster Keaton is another one I will agree with the Father on.

Hi,
We went to Body Worlds in Baltimore. I found it not only disturbing, but exploitive. I doubt that people would have donated their bodies for medical research if they knew that they would be sculpted into a guy swinging a bat with cock and balls in full view. It would be one thing if there were a cock here and there, but I swear I saw more genetals than i'd expect to see at an AVN convention.

It would be one thing if it was really to advance science, but I looked around and found that most people there seemed to view it as a freak show.

Much like the Mutter Museum in Philly that bills itself as a serious medical museum, but also has haunted halloween tours where you can see their hundreds of dead fetuses in jars, dwarf/giant skeletons, 6 foot long human colons, etc....

Bill

Regarding Mueck; It wasn't so much the enormity of the baby but that blew me away, though it did, it was the 18 inch sculpture the old women placed beside. Together it seemed to imply (or I imposed this perspective) the LARGE potential of life and the smaller reality at death. Heck I was just walking around a museum and now I'm contemplating my place in the cosmos type of thing
http://helwillem.net/pictures/2002_0917_104111AA.jpg

I never saw Kovacs FL but I do remember being in a pizza joint where a Keaton film with him rising and falling on the gears of a train was playing.
I went to the library the next day and borrowed all the films with him in them I could.
Criss Angel and David Blaine deserve credit for helping you look at the same thing a different way.

Like Velcro

Jimmy Snerp the Buster Keaton piece you mentioned is in this clip which has most of his greatest stunts. I did not see the Buster Keaton stunt with him being flushed off of the water tower. He got hurt very bad and it bothered him for the rest of his life. I met his widow and his son, very nice people. His son was instrumental in getting Eleanor Keaton to buy a bigger car than she had by creating an illusion the new car was smaller. It was not. That made me a bigger fan of Buster Keaton.

I got chills.

Any back story?

cool! glad you liked it - yeah, the back story as follows - i was surfing ebay and came across it as the auction was ending or had just ended - i almost wept i was so upset i missed it. i assumed it was a one of a kind but sometime later another came up and i made sure i got it. only paid about $20 for it and realized he listed them regularly as well as a bunch of other great casts. i started buying them directly from him and then from another seller from hollywood who was a nightmare to deal with - i have a pretty cool group of them now but the buster is by far my favorite - i sold my comic book collection to buy them! maybe i'll post them and see who can identify them first just for fun. i've been a keaton fanatic since i first saw 'the general' at a rep theater in toronto and 'sherlock jr. is my all-time favorite film - have you seen that one? an hour of magic. when i opened the box and saw the cast i got chills too. it feels like he's gonna pop open those huge eyes and not smile! the great stoneface indeed. anyways, glad you liked it - i don't often get a chance to share it as you can probably tell by this ramble.

yeah, that was from sherlock jr. here's the scene leading up to it with an interesting analysis of how it was filmed

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nmgDcUkj0bk&feature=related

the most amazing thing about that for me is that he finishes the scene - waits for the two guys to crash and then sprints full speed out of the scene - with a broken neck! one tough mofo...

This is why I love this site.
I'm reading that FL likes Keaton so that gets me to thinking about Keaton and the scene in the General.
Then D gray sends the Sherlock link and I find a video clip of Johnny Depp and Chaplin doing the roll dance-but here's where it gets cool-then I find out the roll dance is an Arbuckle creation not a Chaplin creation. Then I start reading about Arbuckle and realise his story is tragic-and realise I wouldn't have found this out had I not shared the Mueck thing-you give you get-lifes that simple

Yes sir! I have spent easily 2 maybe three hours on things associated with this thread. I read the whole bio about Buster Keaton in his fan club page plus all of the You Tube clips and most of the Mueck photos. Like seeds that grow.

Very good thread. I even found out one of my customers died in 1998. Now I need to find out if Buster Keaton had any more kids after his Talmadge wife. I met a man who was with his widow and said he was Buster Keaton's son but I cannot find anything to verify that. ( he didn't lie to a carsalesman did he?);)

And kept right on working. Didn't even realize until a few years later when a doctor was examining him and asked, "When did you break your neck?"

Buster Keaton? Punk rock!

very interesting. it reminds me of reading about harold lloyd blowing off his thumb and index finger with a prop bomb while filming a movie. he would wear a glove on that hand to cover the missing fingers. he's most famous for the image seen here...
haroldlloyd.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back