need the source of two quotes (1 Viewer)

Gentlemen,

I need the source of the two following Bukowski quotes. I've tried several different search methods and went through a few interviews but i just can't find the source.

Any help would be much appreciated.

"The difference between a democracy and a dictatorship is that in a democracy you vote first and take orders later; in a dictatorship you don't have to waste your time voting."

and

"People who believe in politics are like people who believe in God: they are sucking wind through bent straws."

Last edited by a moderator:
Second is from "hug the dark" in Play the Piano Drunk...:

people who believe in politics​
are like people who believe in god:​
they are sucking wind through bent​
straws.​

Which also includes the great lines:

stay away from god​
remain disturbed​

Note the lower case 'g' in "god." You have capitalized it in your quote.

25 hours nine minutes. emergency bukowski assistance (eba) response time needs to be better than that. stat. the man already tried several search methods!!!
a democracy and a dictatorship
there's some more stuff on democracy and dictatorship in the pivano interviews too but i don't have it in front of me (laughing with the gods)

the typing was okay, it was the facts and numbers that fouled my line. if i hadn't made fun of you guys for being fast, i would have made fun of you for being faster. but it's cute. don't change a thing.

It is cute, isn't it. Like your increasingly limited time here. Cute in a tragic sort of way.

This "I'm more antagonistic than thou" shtick is getting old, no?
Not as old as your Looking Down My Nose From On High schtick.

Imagine a party where people are enjoying themselves, but every few minutes one or two pretentious, self-important cunts burst in and flit around sniffing dismissively at everything. The people at the party, who were having a fine time without you, might become antagonistic, no?

You are one of those pretentious, self-important cunts. This can't be the first time anyone has pointed that out to you (if it is, trust me, it's been whispered behind your back many times).

That is your cross to bear, not ours. Enjoy yourself. But don't expect everyone to love you.

Selah.

If I thought myself better than people on this forum I wouldn't be soliciting advice, feedback and resources much less sticking around here. Sorry to have inadvertently crashed your party.

Do you all write poetry with the word "fuck" in it a lot too?

hey, how did you know?

here's my latest. I'm violating board policy by posting it here, but I'm feeling mischievous!

untitled (for Synonymist)

Erica, Erica!
∞ why so hysterica?
////fuck.

if you edit a lit mag there at your community college, feel free to use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back