Norman Mailer (1 Viewer)

hank solo

Just practicin' steps and keepin' outta the fights
Reaper Crew
Founding member
Just heard on the news that Norman Mailer is dead. He was 84.

yeah, I've been thinking about Mailer this morning. I never finished one of his novels, although I started many. maybe I started the wrong ones.
but I read a bio on him by a female writer whose name I can't recall and enjoyed it.
he knew how to live his way, and rode the fuck out of his 84 years.
maybe I'll try his stuff again.

apparently he didn't deny threatening to kill one of his wives, he just objected to the literary style with which she chose to describe the incident. I kid you not.

I never thought much of him, but I suppose I'll find out in the next few days that he was a "literary giant" or somesuch.

I think he once challenged hemingway to a head-butting contest, so you have to respect him for that at least.

don't bother to read his books, because they're awful. maybe "Armies of the Night" if you happen to aged less than 25.

I rate "The Naked And The Dead" as among the better of most 20th Century American novels I've read. Not sure I could call Mailer a genius, but I liked his style. Though he never saw battle himself, critics and vets alike praised the authenticity of his voice in that book. The story has great character sketches, a single WWII Pacific battle narrated by each character, and it dared to follow the arc all the way.
Down to the end which is always
"Fuck patriotism - We are ALL animals"
Very dark stuff, but entertainingly told.

On the other hand, he was a talk-show slut like Capote.
And Dick Cavett kicked his ass.

So....I dunno.....

R.I.P. Mailer

I don't care about the other stuff.
I judge a writer by his writing only.
Thanks for the tip #6horse. Naked/Dead sounds like my kind of book... I'll check it out.

My favorite author by far, on Friday afternoon I was at the beat museum in North Beach having a discussion about him. RIP Mailer, the genius.

here is part of an article in the Montreal Gazette.

Untitled 4.jpg

here is part of an article in the Montreal Gazette.

East or West of Boulevard St-Laurent?

My favorite author by far, on Friday afternoon I was at the beat museum in North Beach having a discussion about him. RIP Mailer, the genius.

And I was at Joe Dimaggio's in August, also in North Beach, discussing Bukowski. Not that it means anything.

Ahem. Now here's a story about Mailer and Buk. As you all probably know, Buk and Norm hung out a little during the BARFLY days. It's in HOLLYWOOD and a few others also describe their 'friendship'. At some point during one of their drunken evenings together the subject turned to boxing and their relative prowess at fisticuffs. Buk's back-alley brawls are sprinkled throughout his work. Mailer took boxing lessons and fought some carefully selected palookas who knew better than to win. Vanity and all that. A suggestion was made that they fight. Mailer is recorded as having felt an overwhelming sense of power and exhaltation at the thought of beating Bukowski to a pulp. Bukowski - an older man. A dissolute wreck. An out-of-shape slob.

This is Mailer, the tough guy? Eager to beat up a much weaker foe? Salivating at the thought of punching out a dissipated alcoholic?

The fight never took place.

Mailer: Great writer and lesser human.

Bukowski: Greater writer and greater human.

Rosemont, St-Leonard, C.D.N., N.D.G., etc.

Huh?

East-End Montreal. Near the Olympic Stadium.

don't bother to read his books, because they're awful. maybe "Armies of the Night" if you happen to aged less than 25.
The Naked and the Dead was actually a very good novel for a 25 year old---if you can get past the "fugs". Damn good war novel.

His best book is probably The Executioner's Song. If you like true crime, this is superior stuff. May be a bit of overkill as far as length, that was a flaw about Mailer's books. (Shows insecurity. Little penis and all that.) Still, you can tell why the book won the Pulitzer. Excellent writing and in-depth research.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Executioner's_Song

Users who are viewing this thread

Back