• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

Notes of a Dirty Old Man - City Lights (2 Viewers)

I'm pretty sure they're all wrong, but they might be genuinely mistaken.

The page that says "First City Lights Edition published: October 1973" might be misconstrued as indicating that this particular book is that first CL edition, when in actuality that statement is only there as a reference. The way its written is a little misleading, to me anyway.

i think the sellers are usually genuinely mistaken. the statement of reference on title page seems misleading to me too, marina...

of course...its only a misunderstood phrase:

"first city lights edition published:....."

that's when the first one was published. It believe its got something to do with complying with certain academic bibliographical standards.

Orange? Hell, I've never seen an orange cover on that title. I have seen the first printing, which has a black and white cover, as do many printings thereafter. I'm guessing the orange cover is a much later printing, or a Canadian issue, or some oddball bookclub issue (I know: probably not that).

It is a first edition, later printing.....

The true first is black and white. Try telling that to the sellers on ebay. They do not want to hear about it. They try to hold on to any hope that it is a first/first and worth more than it is.

Bill

Just pulled out my "orange" copy and above the "First City Lights Edition..." It states: Copyright (C) 1969 by Charles Bukowski. Being a collector, that would immediately make me raise an eyebrow, and ask question or two. The price on the back is $7.95, so $25 bucks on eBay doesn't seem that bad, if, as Bill states, this is a first, sort of...

And the color isn't really orange; it's more like a muddy tangerine...

I also found a "blue" copy with magenta edging. Same "First..." on the inside. Does anyone know how many flavors this book came out in??? Here's a pic of both of 'em.

Attachments

• BukNET-Notes-OADOM.jpg
    BukNET-Notes-OADOM.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 370
Opening Bid Changes

It's multiple magic boxes. But the cheesecake is in an antique book shelf.

Looks like the seller at eBay came here and read the posts, as the opening bid is now $9.99 or so. Methinks it was $24.99 earlier. Hmmm.

Looks like BUKnet strikes again for the consumer! :D

Hi,
I wrote him and he thanked me for the info. I guess that he realized that it was better to list it at $9.99 and ell it than to not sell it for $24.99.

Bill

I also found a "blue" copy with magenta edging. Same "First..." on the inside. Does anyone know how many flavors this book came out in??? Here's a pic of both of 'em.

I've seen a couple copies of the orange-ish cover... mine is the same flavor, but all blue... Then the white first edition and the blue with red border one in your photo... And the one that's for sale now that is tan with a brownish border... we're up to 5 so far.

I wonder if they're published with different covers to indicate printing? Its just strange that they don't indicate the number anywhere on the items (I too thought the blue covered one I bought about a year ago was a first edition paper because of the copyright info, so... its easy to get confused).

... I have seen the first printing, which has a black and white cover, as do many printings thereafter...

I really must have been asleep when I wrote that. I bought the book when it first came out, so I know it had a B&W cover, and I have a later copy now, a stated fourth printing from 1978, with the 1969 copyright dated and "First City Lights Edition published: October, 1973." And that has a B&W cover.

Of course any City Lights edition is not really a first edition. Even their "first" is a reprint, coming four years after the first edition published by Essex House.

So what is the value of a reprint pseudo first? I paid $7.95 plus tax for mine, back in the day. Are they worth $10, $20, $30, more? They are interesting, and not a bad price-point for the beginning collector. And the stories are great, recycled or not...

Pax

Of course any City Lights edition is not really a first edition. Even their "first" is a reprint, coming four years after the first edition published by Essex House.

True. Someday soon (already?) collectors will be chasing the Ecco "first printings" which as we all know are reprints of the Black Sparrow editions, excepting the recent posthumous collections.

Did Essex House publish both the first "Notes.." and the first "Erections.."?

I'm pretty sure that Essex House only had the true first of Notes.... I think that City Lights first published Erections.... I'm not very good on value of all these variants, to address Homeless Mind's question.

Here are some guesstimates....

1st Essex Notes is worth about $75-$150 depending on the condition.
1st City Lights Notes is worth about $35-$75 depending on the condition. (true first has $3 price on reverse)

1st City Lights Erections is worth about $75-$200 based on the condition. (true first has $3.95 price on reverse)

Bill

Bill's range includes "very good" condition on the low end.

But there's kind of a steep drop off between "very good" and "good" as I understand it. "Good" condition in book collecting terms means virtually worthless. "Good" basically means all the pages are there, but the actual real-world condition can be horrible.

I don't think you are going to find even a near fine first printing of Erections for under $250. Very tough. Also the true first printing should have the 4-72 on last page.

But if just after any old copy $75 should do it - just make sure first printing.

Bill - maybe Erections deserves a clam shell!!

My Erections "” eek!

I'm still not totally in the loop on the "definitions" of a book's condition status; Fine, Near Fine, etc. I have read most of the descriptions here and elsewhere, but don't totally get it - yet. I have always bought for the titles, as many rare ones are extremely hard to get; and a bunch of mine were purchased prior to eBay "” from a dealer I trusted (posted prior, Gotham).

From what I've read, my Erections is probably, "near fine" to "very good." But I can't say for sure, and it's not for sale, so it's irrelevant, sort of. I would probably lean toward the "near fine," but couldn't say for sure. It looks great, to me. :D

Bottom line, I just dig owning a copy with 4-72 on the last page. Thanks for pointing that out, PBBUK. Appreciated. ;)

Pax

Last edited by a moderator:
Resurrect an Old{man}Thread! :D .. I can't beleive I got this book, b/w cover -$3 on the back - City Lights..yada yada.. I'm just so happy to have it. The wayy I got it, it already had a clear protective' I guess cover... I mean this thing is like BRAnd FUKKEN nEWW..OPPS..CAPS.. :P gahh... I bought the very recent ones.. .to read! I did collect comics as a kid... finally..I have something..& it feels great!... I'm telling you..I think it's like new basically... I sorta quit smoking..but it alwayz makez me want one!.. l0ven'peAce-Johny. I can put foto's if anyone wants... She's a BeAut!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back