Notes of a Dirty Old Man - NOLA Express (1 Viewer)

mjp

Founding member
I went through the known NOLA Express issues and updated the database.

See the list below.

There are many holes here, as you can see. And the 1973 issue - that seems incorrect, coming as it does almost a year after the previous column. But it comes from one of David's books, so I'm assuming it's correct and just some kind of outlier.

The first issue listed is also seems too early. Unless we're just missing everything between numbers 36 and 51...

There were 9 or 10 NOLA Express entries in database that we had no contents for, so I deleted them. If we can't see them or link them to a work, then there's not much use having them in there.

Ah, well, that explains that. Not much specific info out there about NOLA Express. But the Los Angeles Free Press started running the column early in 1972, so the overlap there with the missing NOLA Express issues should fill in the blanks.

It does hurt.

From the December 14, 1973 issue of NOLA Express.

Am I somewhat blind or is there no download-button on the site to get a whole issue as a PDF?

What's the reason if you deliver something anyway, to not deliver it in a pleasing data-format?

Last edited:
Right-click on a page in the archive and you'll be able to download it in a PDF format (only that page, not the whole issue, sorry). If you want to pull a scan (a JPG image or such) out of a PDF file you can use Adobe Acrobat or a similar program.

thanks zobraks. I really am not a huge fan of downloading page per page.
I don't see why these people can be so kind to give away all the data but then refuse to do it in one rush (just like the user-friendly Internet Archive for example).

I don't see why these people can be so kind to give away all the data but then refuse to do it in one rush...
I doubt it's an ideological thing (but who knows), more likely it's for technical reasons. That "viewer" is very old technology, and I wouldn't be surprised to find that when you click that pdf link the file is generated on the server. So it might be a server resource issue to generate a pdf for an entire issue all at once.

Any way they want to present it, it's still a minor miracle that someone has archived those old alternative papers. My hat is off to them. Whoever they are.

they want to present it, it's still a minor miracle that someone has archived those old alternative papers. My hat is off to them. Whoever they are.
Ditto.

That archive is one of the greatest gold mines I've stumbled across since I've set my foot in this place. Or even since I've started using the Internet.
I don't mind the digging, I LOVE it.

The first issue listed is also seems too early. Unless we're just missing everything between numbers 36 and 51...

There were 9 or 10 NOLA Express entries in database that we had no contents for, so I deleted them. If we can't see them or link them to a work, then there's not much use having them in there.
Here's something from way back when (November 30, 2012 from my records):

And "the present" listings from that same spread sheet:

And the University of Michigan's (I think it's them) dating of those issues. Thanks to some hard work by someone to sort things out. My only defense for not having got it correct back then is blindness, laziness and loch ness.

I went through every NOLA available in your copies, then on that site, and I think it's all straightened out now. I'm in the process of getting the database updated.

Two (almost) down, one to go.

Looking at the zip file on an external hard drive I see the gaps myself. I wonder when I got more of my shit together? Not today apparently.

Hey mjp,
I'm curious about two things:
1. Is there any existing print of NOLA Express Issue NO. 61 featuring "All the Pussy We Want?" Or is this lost forever?
2. Was "The Fuck Machine" originally published in NOLA Express? Or somewhere else?
Thanks! Fantastic resource you've created here.

Everything I know is in the database.

Is there any existing print of NOLA Express Issue NO. 61 featuring "All the Pussy We Want?"
Well I'm sure there is. Somewhere.

But I'm also pretty sure it would be exactly the same as the version in Erections, Ejaculations and General Tales of Ordinary Madness (or The Most Beautiful Woman in Town and Other Stories).

I was hoping for the original illustration. Some of them are pretty good.
Thanks again for all the great resources. I was curious too if "The Fuck Machine" was originally printed in NOLA Express.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back