One from Ole #6 - The Noiseless Care of a Blue Violet (1 Viewer)

I recently hooked up a scanner/printer that had been sitting under my office desk for the past five years. I figured I'd learn how to use the scanner and what better way than scanning an uncollected poem or two to post here.

Buk_Noiseless_Care.jpg

There is one other Buk poem in #6, but it is collected in Bone Palace Ballet. In comparing the two, there was only one edit made: a single word change. Guess which one:

Buk_Nature_Poem.jpg

So much for the thought that at least Bone Palace Ballet avoided the hamfistery.

[Edit]: I see mjp posted The Noiseless Care... back in 2006. In that case, I would like to announce that I have learned how to use my scanner. ;)

Bone Palace Ballet has always been on the list of posthumous titles to avoid. Betting on the Muse is the last one that was relatively untouched, but even that has some unfortunate "edits."

Since we're using these scans as a learning experience - ;) - I'll just say that a 300 dpi scan is for printing. For the web you should use 72 (or 75) dpi. The higher the resolution is better for print, but your browser shows a 300 dpi and 72 dpi image in the same resolution, so all the 300 dpi file does is use up a lot more space with no increase in quality.

For what it's worth, as far as web browsers are concerned.

Hardly anyone scans at 72 dpi though, so I usually knock down the resolution myself for images posted here.

Well, add this to my list of erroneous material: I meant Betting on the Muse, not Bone Palace Ballet. I'm 0 for 3 at least, with runners in scoring position. Did I mention that I got my scanner hooked up?

Thanks for the advice on dpi resolution. I was not aware, but I did notice a pull-down in my scanner window for resolution, so one more thing to be aware of. I should be able to remember 72 dpi, since that's my favorite year of Grateful Dead. You didn't need to know that, but I don't care. I'm 0 for 3. At least.

'73-'75 were no slouch years. After that, I can take 'em or leave 'em. But I take your point. '73-'74 are quite different from '70-'72 and '75 was an entirely different kettle of fish.

Anyway; back to my batting average. mjp: is there any vehicle other than slogging through the search feature and the poem database to figure out what scans we need and don't need? I'm game to fire this thing up and I'm sure I have at least some poems we need. Perhaps I could scan some of the poems I took photos of for starters, but any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Changes to titles are more difficult since you have to check the book contents, but usually the titles aren't changed much. Usually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back