Original Sketch Art? (1 Viewer)

Hi All - I am 100% new to this forum and by no means a Bukowski novice. I have - what I believe to be - an original piece of sketch art and I was wondering if anyone can help me authenticate this or point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance for your input and wisdom!

bukowski sketch art.jpg

There are things that say 'no,' for sure. Not the least of which are all those dots in the sketches - those are typically signs of stop points that show up when someone is copying something.

But you didn't tell us anything about where or who it came from, what kind of paper that is, or how old it's supposed to be. Without knowing some of those things everything else is speculation.

Thanks Hannah - I appreciate the constructive input. Unfortunately, I have almost no information about this piece myself. Bought it about 15 years ago from a fellow collector who said that he had bought several pieces of sketch art from someone who claimed to have been close to CB. In the early 2000s it wasn't common to have a COA (or ask for one). I realize a lot has changed since. Anyway, it is on standard sketch paper and measures approximately 8 1/2 x 11 inches. If it's a fake, it's a fake - I won't loose sleep over it but I was just wondering if there was an expert (or widely accepted authentication company) with a specialty in authenticating Bukowski artwork.

Apologies for coming across like an asshole on my previous message. Truth is, the community here is the foremost expert on authenticating Bukowski.

Fair enough.

I'm not a big fan of signed items unless you receive them in person; or unless the provenance is unquestionable. I did a bit of research and saw that there's a couple companies that have authenticated CB signed items, but I just question their expertise. One such company is PSA / DNA: they seem to do outstanding work on sports memorabilia but I just wonder what made them qualified to give an authentic CB piece the thumbs up or down. I respect this forum and if the general consensus is that this is not an authentic piece, then I'm OK with that.

The older it is, I mean the further back you can trace it, the less likely it is to be fake. There was no money in faking Bukowski until the internet blew up.

For what it's worth, the writing and signature look beleiveable to me.

And you can apply a bit of logic to these things as well. Meaning if you were going to fake a sketch, would that be the one you'd fake? Or would it be a man with a jug, Bukowski's "signature" sketch?

All goods points and certainly something to consider. I'm trying to track down the seller to see if he can offer some more insights. Thanks again for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back