P.J. Harvey track from album due in February (1 Viewer)

I love PJ Harvey.

Don't love that.

Wait, I do love it when it becomes the song Blood and Fire, because that's a classic old tune.

So, I am confused.

all weak heart shall leap out and split up
all righteous shall stand
hail Rasta
hail and wail
blood blood blood blood and fiyah
let it burn

the song relies too much on the Niney the Observer sample (had to look that up). I'm not against sampling, but I expect more from PJ. she lets me call her The Peej, but that's a long story, and totally false.

anyway, hope the album is a grower, not a show-er.

but I thought some people might be interested in the track. I'm not looking at you Purple Stickpin. heh.

I'm sure it will be interesting even if I don't love it all. Polly is just a little bit crazy, which makes for good entertainment any way you slice it. All the best musicians (and writers and artists) are restless and fearless, it's a necessary combination. And it doesn't always please the faithful who latched on to one period in the artist's history.

well that's just it, the above song lacks the tension that most of her songs have: you always get the feeling that at any moment she could snap and go apeshit and wreck the joint. it doesn't always happen, but she usually leaves room for that possibility. this song lacks that quality.

yup, that's more like it.

I like the use of horns in these two.

is that an Eddie Cochrane sample in the second one? which is kind of a coincidence. I watched a movie last night, Radio On (1980) and Sting has a small part playing a Cochrane worshiper.

She may not have played it before. She taught herself how to play the piano for White Chalk, which is primarily a piano record. Apparently she enjoys a challenge.

Aside form guitar (and that god damned autoharp) I know she plays viola...now piano and saxophone, and probably a dozen other things that we just don't know about.

All is not lost
so we know the auto harp pisses you off. but, what about that late '70's mini mug she drinks out of, and then the old lady shakin' those hips like only her husband knows?

YouTube - PJ Harvey- The Words That Maketh Murder stuck in my head today at work. damn catchy ass tune. And pretty sure a couple other jewels on Let England Shake. Wait like an animal.

Last edited by a moderator:
But I bet that she still has a bad dress or two and needs to change at my apartment because I'm the tour assistant wardrobe consultant and stuff

I just miss my crazy girlfriend Polly.

well that's just it, the above song lacks the tension that most of her songs have: you always get the feeling that at any moment she could snap and go apeshit and wreck the joint. it doesn't always happen, but she usually leaves room for that possibility. this song lacks that quality.

I couldn't have been more wrong.

I ran out this morning and picked this album up. after the first few listens, I can say that this is her best cd in a long time.

Polly Jean is pissed, but she's not shouting, she's seething. the whole album is a long slow burn.

I've only bought 3 cds so far this year (way below my normal consumption, but times is tuff, y'all) and they've all been good, but this is by far the best.

can you tell I like it?

I thought I was in the "dream I had last night" thread there for a second...

Jeez ! All I was doing was referencing a several-months-old (or perhaps year-old) posting about P.J. Harvey in a video (that you may or may not have read), wearing a dress that someone (I don't know who) didn't like (for some reason or another) in a different thread (can't remember which), somewhere on this site (I don't know where).

Try to keep up, old man.

"Let England Shake isn't just another strong artistic statement, it's the work of Harvey hitting her stride - again."

That's a good line and a good observation about someone who's style changes with almost every record.

She killed it at Coachella. She played most of the album plus Meet Ze Monsta and Down by the Water.

I'm glad that she was my last Coachella experience for the year. It leaves a pleasant taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back