Parachute Opens Differently (1 Viewer)

Anyone know the band, Parachute?

They just stripped down a song for big business.

http://adage.com/madisonandvine/article?article_id=135373

Here's a verbal clip:

Island Def Jam played Parachute for Nivea, which liked the band's sound but pushed to refashion its single "She Is Love." Island Def Jam's artists-and-repertoire agents massaged "She Is Love" this way and that, and settled on an acoustic version for Nivea's marketing department.

????

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

More from the article for those who don't want to click through...

"TV has become the new model" for breaking musical acts, said Jeff Straughn, VP-strategic marketing at Island Def Jam Music Group. And aligning with a brand on TV has leapfrogged ahead of radio in the label's arsenal of hype.

The success of Parachute's deal may mean that retrofitting pop tunes for TV spots may soon be replaced by even greater collaboration beforehand, Mr. Maurer said.

"We're not at the stage where we have the artists developing the music for the commercial, but that's an opportunity for the future," he said.

they changed their name recently from Sparky's Flaw. or, most likely, someone told them it'd be a good idea to change it.

I found both versions, the original isn't is just acoustic guitar and vocals .

a band that would otherwise probably go unnoticed by a larger audience without Nivea, and not the kind of music that forms a cult following.

a band of cute boys that plays music that sounds like countless other bands of cute boys (see Maroon 5, Plain White T's, etc.).

not my bag, but they're making some money and I don't have to buy the cd. or watch the commercial. ;)

thanks, hooch.

everything you said makes sense. especially your last line.

guess i'm just fascinated by how it came to be, and the people now involved in the process....

pax

Remember how controversial it was when The Stones got the Jovan perfume company to underwrite their tour back in '81 or so ? Times change and new acts breaking first nationally on television (MTV) has naturally led to this, I guess. If television is providing a consistent audience, then all aspects of it will be (or have been) exploited - original programming, commercials, station promos, public service announcements, etc...

I'm a big fan of "Nivea For Men" after-shave lotion. Maybe if I save enough receipts, the company will listen to me when I suggest a better band to score their commercials.

If television is providing a consistent audience, then all aspects of it will be (or have been) exploited - original programming, commercials, station promos, public service announcements, etc...

That reminds of what I read about early television. How "sponsors" would drive the show...

Perhaps it's full circle now, but with music, and music is seeking new ways to become relevant. The golden age of musical creativity has turned a corner, exposure is king. Can you see the Dead, Doors, Hendrix doing this? That's not really a fair question, as the times are so different, but worth a quick thought...

From payola to paid programming to commercials to whatever the hell is next.

Who knows, maybe this is the best career move this band has ever made; or the worst...

It's interesting to watch...and remember AM radio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back