Payday (1 Viewer)

mjp

Founding member
"I still can't help looking back again to that shack in Atlanta, that was truly bottom, freezing and starving, the oil lamp gone out and me writing words upon the edges of dirty newspapers on the floor with a pencil stub. All the other rooms and no rooms, the used women, the used me. All the roominghouses, locked behind a door, 5 cents for food, a Payday candy bar. No steak more glorious than a small nibble at that."
- 1990 letter to John Martin​

Image1079.jpg

very period with the war bond soldier.
Indeed. That would be correct for the time period he's talking about. That's the wrapper he saw every day.

You know, assuming there is truth in the myth. He certainly repeated it enough. Though it's funny, I could only find that one quote where he mentioned the candy bar by name, yet everyone seems to know it was Paydays he was eating.

Robert "Cubby" Colby, Prince's engineer from 1980 through 1988:

I'd bring a PayDay candy bar [to Paisley Park], thinking if I didn't get a chance to eat in one of the breaks I'd better have something. I used to sit the PayDay on the meter bridge of the Soundcraft in the middle of winter so it would thaw. Prince would put his car keys right next to it. One day I got up and did something, and came back and the frickin' candy bar was gone. I'm looking around, and he's looking at me, and he's eating my candy bar. I said, 'my PayDay.' He said, 'No, that ain't til Friday.'

So every day from that day on I would buy two PayDay candy bars and I would always leave one out there. When we were done with rehearsals it was my duty to put the cassettes in the car. So I'd put the six or seven cassettes in the car and I'd find all the PayDay wrappers.

I have always thought Buk was one hell of a salesman in creating his own myth, and Abel's book (I'm only on page 55) really enforces it.

But the thing is, we most likely would have never read a sentence of his if he hadn't.

I know this isn't a revalation to those regulars here and I don't want newer fans to in any way think this takes away from Buk's greatness.

What it should really mean to everyone is how committed the man was to getting his voice out there -- by whatever means necessary because he believed in what he had to say.

Most of wish this for ourselves, but end up pumping gas instead of selling gas.

Found this today in a candy store.
New version of a Payday candy bar, of course I bought one . :p
The dog is a birthday card for my friend, which looked great as a background.

Factotum, page 33

That was all a man needed: hope. It was lack of hope that discouraged a man. I remembered my New Orleans days, living on two five-cent candy bars a day for weeks at a time in order to have leisure to write. But starvation, unfortunately, didn't improve art...

Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
Guess what I had Sunday for the first time in forever? AND it's awesome! One for me, one for the wife. $1.79 if I remember correctly.

payday.jpg

I wonder if Bukowski knew there was a quarter pound version...

paydayQP.jpg

Maybe he couldn't afford that one...it was probably a dime.

Just noticed the old labels say there's fudge in the thing. I guess they took away the fudge later to make it less fudgey...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back