Places online for writers? (1 Viewer)

After 15 years of being a non-stop musician, I've finally taken a turn and started to really enjoy writing. I've tried to find forums and the like online for writers, but it's all just nothing but pretentious snobs. Anyone know any cool places to check out for that kind of stuff? And oh yeah hey thanks in advance.

-The Riff-

-The Riff-
Finding an online forum for writers is tough. They seem to want like a big circle jerk to me. Those that are insiders are told at every turn how great their writing is, while those that are new to the forum will either be ignored, or will be ripped apart. That is just what I have seen. myspace is no better.

I am not a writer, but every time I go into one of those forums, I watch them feed on someone new. The forums seem to exist to let the existing members know how GREAT they are.

Maybe one of our writers here knows of one that is decent.

Bill

while Bill is pretty much correct, www.literarymary.com is very welcoming and unpretentious. the people there are very receptive to new members, and make an effort at responding to work. they are encouraging rather than critical. they have the slant that it's a "workshopping" forum, rather than just a place to post and boast.
nothing is perfect of course, but LM is a pretty good spot.

www.literarymary.com is very welcoming and unpretentious. the people there are very receptive to new members, and make an effort at responding to work.
I think the woman that runs that posted here a couple times then disappeared.

After 15 years of being a non-stop musician, I've finally taken a turn and started to really enjoy writing.
I did the same thing 12 or 13 years ago. I think 15 years as a musician must be some kind of breaking point. ;) Though the experience was great, and I'm working on a book about those years right now.

That's the musician's advantage, you have a lot of material to write about. If you did it right.

Or wrong.

Ha.

I spent about 25 years as a musician, as evident my mind broke awhile ago.

If I were to write a novel it would definitely be about my early days.

Look forward to reading it.

I don't write about my musical stuff at all. I am still very much an active musician, day in and day out, and it is VERY nice to have a complete escape from it. I love music, it's my passion and it pays my bills, I would die without it. So I leave that at the door when writing. I do think having all that experience at being creative is hugely helpful though. Having a head start on the creative process in general. ok I'm drunk and rambling now, time to play guitar or write or both. All this talk has me drunk and excited.

Even though it's old, Xanga has filtered out most of the people that shouldn't be there and it is populated greatly by writers who will give honest feedback. You just have to join certain "blogrings" that will get other writers to read your xanga.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back