poop (1 Viewer)

Yeah, that's done in association with Montfort and (I suppose) Linda. It comes from X-Ray books, they do a semi-regular, quasi-periodic publication that's part magazine, part broadside collection and part art-jigsaw-puzzle.

The publisher sells POOP on his site for $300, so bid accordingly.

And the poem POOP was "previously unpublished" when this came out, like the auction says, but has since shown up in one of the Ecco books.

You mean X-Ray? There could have been, I haven't seen every issue. Brewton always includes Bukowski in X-Ray. I'm sure it's a selling point for any small mag. Even local zine The Rise And The Fall Of The Harbor Area has started running Bukowski poems. Hand picked by Linda for the locals.

memory plays dirty tricks on me. That Poop title reminded me of something, but I wasn't sure of what. I finally found it out: there was a special Bukowski issue back in 1994 published by Ploplop.

well, now...

What do you mean by legit? I did some of the letterpress pritning on this project and can answer some questions you might have...

well on ebay, one can never be quite sure it is an actual copy. some people have lots of time on their hands and like to fool you. that's all I was saying because I had never heard of it or the publisher.

Counterfeiting a letterpressed, boxed item would require quite a bit of effort. Judging by the images in that auction, the poem was definitely letterpressed (by Jason?). So I think it's safe to assume it was legit.

Yes, I letterpress pritned the label on the box top and the broadside. The broadside, which measure about 5"x24" was printed in two-colors on a Vandercook Universal 1, as was the cover label. The colophon inside the box top was printed (on a Heidelberg?) by Toxic Coyote Press... The X-Ray Book Company projects are always interesting with high production values. I printed the cover for X-Ray Number Ten as well...

Nice work. Is Brewton a printer at all or just the publisher? I don't know that much about X-Ray, so I guess I always assumed they did all the printing.

Yes, Brewton is also (among other things) a gifted printer. He just completed a nice Broadside of the Month series that includes a Bukowski poem. Check it out here: www.xraybookco.com. I've collaborated with X-RAY on a few projects over the years (as have a few other printers I know of) and have been invited to contribute to quite a few projects -- and it's always great fun...

Hi,
This broadside is quite something to see. Also pick up "my Cats" by Bukowski. That was also printed by Jason Davis. Really two amazing pieces and they are executed perfectly. I'd frame both of these beauties if only I had more wall space....

Bill

All of the X-Ray projects are top-shelf and worth the money. Letterpress printing is a dying art and guys Like Brewton and company are a vanishing breed. A run of X-Ray #2-7 just sold at PBA for $2K and his beautifully produced Mista Leary He Dead sold for about $800. I thought both prices were very fair (although well outside my range of affordability). If you can spring for the Broadside of the Month portfolio, I'd recommend it.

cirerita said:
anybody care to tell me the link for "my cats"?

There is a scan of the broadside here: http://www.verdantpress.com/images/verdant/mycats.html
though I just realized that the colophon is cut off...

Here's the detail: Bukowski, Charles. MY CATS (Pasadena: verdant press, 2003) first edition, broadside, handset type. Printed in an edition of 500 copies on the occassion of the 36th California International Antiquarian Book Fair in San Francisco. [verdant press broadside number four.] Contact Jeff Maser, Bookseller ([email protected]) for availability.

Letterpress is indeed a dying art, but there seems to be a bit of a resurgence going on, so you never know. I think letterpress will be with us for a long time. As long as the old equipment continues to work.

My girlfriend is an artist, and last year we put together a book with some reproductions of her art and letterpressed pages on hand made paper, etc., die cut cover - the whole nine yards.

It was a ridiculous amount of work, but it's been selling well, and several museums have added it to their book collections, most recently the Getty in LA, which is pretty impressive for something we put together in the garage. ;)

http://esart.com/book/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back