popmarket.com (1 Viewer)

I ain't sure whether it was Brian Eno or someone completely different, but there's a famous musician who once stated:
There were only a few people who bought the first album of The Velvet Underground - but Everyone of them founded a band after that.

(btw. I'm pretty happy that I bought 'Peel Slowly and See', which has a beautiful booklet, for a reasonable prize shortly after it came out.)

There were only a few people who bought the first album of The Velvet Underground - but Everyone of them founded a band after that.
There are a few bands like that. VU is one, a lot of today's punk rock musicians would cite the Clash, older ones the Stooges or the New York Dolls/Heartbreakers and the Ramones. None of those original CBGB punk band sold any records. At least not at first. On the west coast The Runaways also inspired a lot of the women who went on to form bands.

But probably the biggest such effect was after the first Van Halen album came out. It seemed like over the next 5 or 10 years every hard rock guitarist on the planet tried to emulate that sound. When I came to California in 1984 there were 650 little Van Halen inspired bands crowded onto the Sunset strip. It was worse than the zombie apocalypse everyone is afraid of now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back