Publishing oneself - thoughts? (2 Viewers)

.......I've a looooong fucking way to go.

Well then. Now I know.

Thanks for the input, people!

-Ransom

Also.

Well said, Hosh.

And Rekrab,

My approach is to focus on the writing and let the publishing take care of itself.

Gonna have to agree with you here. Not saying that my approach has been just to get published just to say I did it. There's a lot more at work/at play/at stake for me here than just the hollow "glory" of being published.

STEPHENIE. MEYER.

I'm all for self-publishing in a punk rock, DIY kind of way.

But honestly, if you can't get poetry published by others first, you may need to rethink things. I'm not trying to be a dick, but it's pretty easy to get poetry published. There are a million places that are looking for submissions, and if they all - okay, a lot of them - turn you down, you either aren't any good, or you're ahead of your time and no one gets you yet. The odds and the Gods do not favor the latter, I'm afraid.
I've been published in the smallest of publishers, actually one of which was a friend of mine (just to illustrate how small I'm talking here).

Your point is a good one, dickish or not (it wasn't really that dickish. If it was, what business would I have being on a Buk fan site!?) it's a good point.

So I'm mostly focusing on fiction with this line of questioning here.

According to the Canadian Union of Rioters (CUR) the rotating riots happen in Dartmouth next week. Last week was Vancouver. I think the reasoning was a carry over from the cancelled Guns 'n' Roses concert of 2002.

Vancouver-riot-kiss-coupl-001.jpg

Love in the middle of a fire fight indeed.

I might try something like this for the next book I print. I'll get the writer to settle into a full blown riot and sit down with a copy of their book and a cup of tea, then out comes my disposable camera, and- BOOM! We either have a sure fire best seller, or a dead poet. So, Steve, I was asking you about doing a book...

I might try something like this for the next book I print. I'll get the writer to settle into a full blown riot and sit down with a copy of their book and a cup of tea, then out comes my disposable camera, and- BOOM! We either have a sure fire best seller, or a dead poet. So, Steve, I was asking you about doing a book...

I don't drink tea.

When Greg from Mother Road published alternative man, he suggested that I "get on the news" somehow and hold up a copy. His personal recommendation was that I should "get famous" by making an attempt on the President's life, but after considering that for a while I decided that it might be overkill to go to that extreme to sell 500 copies of a 70 page book.

I think he was kidding, but I could never be sure with him.

I once thought about trying to get publicity by setting up my drums at a grocery store, or some public place, and playing in the nude - thinking it would get the news involved. Now it would just induce public vomiting.

Publicity is a whole 'nother animal. You have to get creative and get others to help you out and getting on the news is not really going to get people to read a book anyway. I recently got a book called Guerrilla Marketing, that I have not yet read, hoping it will help me out with some new approaches to marketing my art n stuff. I will let you guys know if there's anything special in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back