Pulp....a future film? (2 Viewers)

Hey people,

Not sure if this has been mentioned or not so.....

A member from the band The Strokes, Albert Hammond Jr. is in the process of writing a screenplay adaption of Buk's novel "Pulp."

He says Linda gave him the go ahead and that he's been working on the screenplay for the past year or so.

source:
New York Magazine

We all know were "Pulp" stands as far as a Buk novel goes, but how about as a film? Film-noir? The story is definitely intriguing enough to be made into a film.

What do you guys think?

Great idea! It seems like the movie could become a reality. If he can dig up three million $, that is. I think it's possible to make Pulp work on the big screen. All the stuff they can do nowadays with computer graphics etc. It won't be a problem to let Lady Death come alive. If it's done right, it could be one hell of a movie. I hope Hammond will pull it off...

Last edited by a moderator:
tom sizemore.. :)
i think with all his troubles he'd be considered a HIGH RISK...
i think it's a WEAK novel, so I'm not sure how it gets better as a motion picture (all starts with a decent script/written word, no?)

how about Harry Dean, how's he holding up!??! Coen bro's like JOHN GOODMAN!

I'm a Sizemore fan, word is he's a dope fiend that's difficult. Feh, some are some ain't...I last saw Harry Dean Stanton in that HBO series my wife likes, about the Mormon Mafia.

Coen Bros. yee-haw!

Shame Warren Oates ain't around...

whoa this is pretty great news, next to Johnny Depp backing the adaption of The Way The Dead Love into some sort of animation.

But, okay guys, I have a questoin, and don't laugh. Who the muff are the Coen Brothers and what have they ever done?

Now, who can I see as Nicky Belane? Well it would be fucking amazing if Jack Nicholson would do it. how rad would that be? yeah, you know he could pull it off.

A terrible idea for a terrible book. It's his most forced, unnatural effort and I'm sure it'll look that way on screen.

Sorry, but that's my two cents.

A member from the band The Strokes, Albert Hammond Jr. is in the process of writing a screenplay adaption of Buk's novel "Pulp."

A terrible idea for a terrible book.
Agreed. The guitar-player-as-screenwriter potential fiasco factor is very high here, and this would seem to be destined to be yet another little indie Art Film that no one will see, further sealing Bukowski's fate in the minds of the general movie going public as someone to be safely ignored (if they are aware of him at all).

But - Joel and Ethan Coen are truly weird, and could make an immensely watchable film out of the hackneyed private eye genre that is Pulp. Take them out of the mix, though, and were back to snoozeville.

Damn, I should write blurbs for Variety...

;)

i think Coen bros did "the big lebowski"; "o brother, where art thou?"; and maybe "fargo" as well.

i agree with mjp: if anyone could make a good movie out of Pulp, it would be the Coen bros.

i think Coen bros did "the big lebowski"; "o brother, where art thou?"; and maybe "fargo" as well.

Yes, they made "Fargo" as well. Great movie! Btw, it's stated in the movie that it's based on a true story. I believed it for a long time untill I saw a tv program about the bros where they said it was a joke! :D

Pulp as a movie will be great! I heard that copyright to The post office was bought by somebody before Factotum goes out. Now Pulp looks more interest than The post office. Can't wait.

Owning the rights to make a movie and actually making a movie (and having it released) are two completely different things. I would not count on the fact that Pulp OR Post Office will be made into a movie any time soon. Also, note that in the article, it mentions that the screenwriter may have permission. Linda granted verbal permission and said that she would talk to his lawyers once he finds a producer.

Bill

Sounds to me like it'd be another terrible movie capitalizing on Bukowski's fame. But I guess that's why I don't go to movie theaters.

On a side note, Bill of bospress.net:
Are you located near Dover Downs?

I don't think they really capitalize much. Any of the Bukowski movies made any proffit? I doubt it. I think people have right to interpret his work as they see it fit.
Btw, does anyone know what was Bukowski 'attraction' with Penn? He -Penn- seem like everything Bukowski was against?

On a side note, Bill of bospress.net:
Are you located near Dover Downs?

Hi,
Yes, I'm so near Dover Downs that I can hear NASCAR running at the track today. There is a blimp hovering within eyesight and I keep hearing little planes that are towing large banners. Today and tomorrow, The Blue Angels will fly over the house that will make the whole house shake. I cannot leave the house as there is no way to get around town without taking hours to get there. We are a small town, of about 40,000 people, who have 400,000 people visiting this weekend.

Yes, this is NASCAR race weekend..

Bill

p.s. R. Crumb went to high school about 1/4 mile from my house, here in Dover (he graduated from Dover High in 1961). His dad worked at the Playtex factory that is less than a mile from here.

Bill @ bospress.net:

Sorry to hear that. I guess the hooves of standardbreds aren't too bad, though, right?

Bill Sikes:

I wasn't saying that they didn't have a right to interpret. I was merely saying that it'd most likely be a piece of junk, in my opinion. I don't know if the other films have made any money, but many people throw Bukowski's name/works around, it seems, with the intention of "getting ahead" in some way.

i agree with mjp: if anyone could make a good movie out of Pulp, it would be the Coen bros.
They also did:
- Miller's Crossing
- Blood Simple
- Barton Fink --> this one is great! It kind of resembles Pulp in a way.
- The Man Who Wasn't there

I think the Cohens could pull this off. They have a sort of warped, surreal talent/humor. They also have enough cred in Hwood to bring along any actor they want... Can't imagine who just now though. Just know that Jack N. would be wrong... Penn also. Maybe Mickey Rourke could have a new go? He's been doing well lately. :D

If it's the Cohen brothers, then we'll have to give Steve Buscemi a role in it. Certainly he's Not the Nick Belane character. What could it be? Dante /Fante?

For this one I could also see Terry Gilliam as a director. Very surreal yet dark guy. Or even Steven Soderbergh. (Have you seen his 'Kafka'? He is fine at black&white movies.)

I too have mentioned Jack Nicholson before (as a good Hank Chinaski for 'Women'). You're right, he'd do fine in 'Pulp' as well, I guess.
I could also see Robert de Niro for this character. (He'd also make a good Chinaski for 'Post Office', eh? - But Taylor Hackford has been sitting on this one for over 30 years now, so I doubt we'll see a 'Post Office' too soon. What a shame!)

Back to 'Pulp': Who would make a good Red? Can anyone else see Harvey Keitel?

how about george clooney??? i can TOTALLY see him as Nick Belane ;)

Big time.
He would be perfect.

Likewise Keitel as Red.

(and I still maintain it is a good book - I read everything published and then along comes this book - a summary and farewell to all of us - the fans).

Now that's a good bid! I just love that Swearengen character...

Too bad Deadwood is dead. That was a great show, and now they kill it before the story ends.

Well, the combine that is known as HBO be crankin' 'em out. They've got some other stuff up their sleeves. Most of television has been pure shit for the forty five years I've watched it, I have to admit the folks over there have done well.

Deadwood was great, you could just smell the whiskey and horseshit.

Too bad Deadwood is dead. That was a great show, and now they kill it before the story ends.

They killed "Carnivale" as well. It just kept getting more and more interesting through both seasons and then... PLONK! It's a pisser when they do that. At least they let "The Sopranos" run its course.

Ah, Carnivale too, yes. I don't understand that, as HBO is not ratings driven. There's no need to stop these early. They also let Six Feet Under run it's course, and that was a great, great show. It had one season that lagged, but it was top quality overall. Really good.

Right, Deadwood, Sopranos and Six Feet Under are all great series! I just watched the last episode of Six Feet.. last week on a swedish channel. Now I'm waiting for Sopranos season six. I've taped the first five seasons and now video is on the way out - typical. I think both Deadwood and Six Feet.. easily could have run for a season more but maybe the ratings were going down since they stopped...

I talked to a guy who was a production assistant on Deadwood and he said it ended simply because the guy who created it lost interest in the project and wanted to move on to other things.

The last episode of The Sopranos runs here this Sunday night. I'm looking forward to it. I had a heart attack about five years ago and resisted going to the hospital until the last minute because I was going to miss The Sopranos. Luckily it repeats.

The last episode of The Sopranos runs here this Sunday night. I'm looking forward to it. I had a heart attack about five years ago and resisted going to the hospital until the last minute because I was going to miss The Sopranos. Luckily it repeats.

You behaved like a true Sopranos fan...kudos! ;)

ah, so you're already going to watch the last episode. We're still waiting for the sixth, and final, season over here...

You behaved like a true Sopranos fan...kudos! ;)

Actually, it was pretty stupid of me. Had I not gone to the hospital when I did, I might have made it half-way through The Sopranos and then no more TV (or anything else) ever. Went to the emergency room around 7:30 pm and had a quadruple bypass at midnight.

I swear, I thought it was just bad indigestion up until the point where I couldn't breathe.

Thank God, you got the operation that fast! It's my impression that those operations usually are planned well in advance. So you must have been a pretty serious case for them to perform the operation right away.
Anyway, now you can enjoy the last episode of Sopranos sunday evening, without any worries of that nature!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back