Reserve your seats now (1 Viewer)

mjp

Founding member
This just in from REDCAT (CalArts downtown venue in the Disney concert hall):

------

April 18
Music
Ordinary Madness: Musicians Meet Bukowski

A quartet of Angeleno composer-performers pays homage to the city's most beloved dirty old man of poetry, Charles Bukowski, with a night of music performance and poetry based on some of his most incendiary writings. Performing under the direction of Joanne Gordon (Love Bukowski, Short Hairs and Long Shots) are Martin Herman, Art Jarvinen, Amy Knoles and Marc Lowenstein, with baritone Paul Berkolds.

Friday, April 18 | 8:30 pm
$20 [students $16]

------

"Dirty old man" - yawn.

I've seen a couple of good shows at REDCAT, but I don't think I'll be making this one. Where's VALERIAN when you need him?

Well, at least they're paying homage to Buk. That shows the impact he had...

Last edited by a moderator:
If I was there, I'd go.
Sounds like a worthy curiousity
and I guess I could
find worse ways
to spend ten bucks or so

If anyone hits the lottery and
wants to pay my airfare/hotel
Chicago to Los Angeles
I'll review it in person !

;>)

...and there's going to be a "baritone" which tells me it's going to suck maga dog balls in a kind of classical-but-not-really-classical-bukowsical-VALERIAN kind of way.

Listening to Bukowski read again on these new DVDs it occurs to me that there is not a "suitable" music to lay under, over or around his words (and especially his voice). He wrote with an innate rhythm and read with the same rhythm and his own melody. Okay, it was pretty much the same rhythm and melody over and over, but it's there.

Every time I think of VALERIAN's rape of bluebird (and trust me, that's as infrequently as possible) I want to hunt him down, reach down his throat and rip out his voice box so he can never do that to anyone again.

It's not good, it's not cool, it's not cute, it sucks from front to back, and so will this thing at REDCAT. The people who undertake this kind of thing are clueless. They are "appreciating" Bukowski on some Westside shopping mall level, only enough to benefit themselves by associating their sad work with his name. Like wearing a Charles Manson or Che Guevara tshirt. Because you see, to them, Bukowski, Manson, Guevara or Andre the Giant are interchangeable. They are just images to silkscreen onto a special edition iPod.

Of course, if it was convenient to get to and free to see, I would go, just so I could tell you first hand how bad it was (and eat enough crow to admit to anything good that came of it). ;)

The people who undertake this kind of thing are clueless. They are "appreciating" Bukowski on some Westside shopping mall level...

Like wearing a Charles Manson or Che Guevara tshirt. Because you see, to them, Bukowski, Manson, Guevara or Andre the Giant are interchangeable. They are just images to silkscreen onto a special edition iPod.

nicely said.

Hey Valerian sent me a nice e-mail with his busy schedule-since he thinks I care. Maybe he'll be in town April 18th, But then there's the Linda King thing on the 19th and Valarian's hero's birthday is the next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back