Robert Pinsky, former United States poet laureate, loves Bukowski! (1 Viewer)

he's a fucking poet laureate.

he doesn't lack any talent, he just doesn't write the same.

so he's an asshole, so is the rest of the world.

I am glad people do not "get" or like Bukowski. It makes me feel like I have something special with him. Some kind of understanding or connection everybody else does not get.

he's a fucking poet laureate.

he doesn't lack any talent, he just doesn't write the same.

so he's an asshole, so is the rest of the world.

Well if he's a fucking poet laureate then my respect for him goes through the roof.

Tell me... is it part of his on-stage act?

the funny thing is that Bukowski dissed other poets so bad. so basically pinsky's behavior is no different.
ms. vodka,
You are totally correct. and poets slamming other poets in their poetry has always been a part of the form. If Pinsky had written a poem railing & reaming Bukowski,(and for all I know, he may have), then I could at least see it. It's in the terms of the interveiw and the off-handed comment that I've tried to approach this. I've known of Pinsky since he became Laureate, I don't remember his work, but I do remember him saying something about letting poems Sit and Rest, which I dug. I realize the differences in peoples tastes and styles, and so forth. It was his dismisive statement that pissed me off, and his disregard for the importance of poetry in the lives of young men. Sometimes I can't help but look towards my 'betters' with idealized eyes, and I guess sometimes, I expect better from them. Silly, I know, we ARE in an election year:eek:Smiles To You and ALL, CRB

i'm from Omaha. the Rueben is from Omaha. that fucker prolly asks for it on wheat bread with turkey instead of corned beef so he can watch his figure...

Hank probably wrote too much about drinking, women, being poor, working, and trying to figure out just what the hell is really going on out there in this world of ours for this guy's liking.

...you know, just like the rest of us.

he probably pays $7.00 for a beer and $10.00 for a Bourbon and coke, and $1000 for a hooker to make him feel like a man. being a real poet with real thoughts and insights? Priceless.

it'd be one thing if he said, "you know i never got into Bukowski. his style didn't make sense to me..." or whatever. but to dismiss one of the most important names in 20th century literature like that? fuck this guy...his hands are probably as soft as fucking pillow without the feathers. i don't know if Hank would've liked anything i've written, or liked my tattoos, or my taste in booze, but i can say but what i've read that he would've been honest in his approach, not just insulting and slandorous. CHILDREN? is that what this fucker is calling us? because Hank isn't "complicated" enough for the College crowd, or nice-enough for Oprah's book club, or dull enough for the High School? Hank did more living before 40 than most of those elite, efitte, intellectual fuckers did by the time they died.

i'll make you a Reuben that'll make you cum, fucker. then i'll shit on your plate and make you eat that, too.

Here is my beef with all this.

According to definition, Poet Laureates are
appointed by the Librarian of Congress, and are
entrusted with raising the status of poetry in the
everyday conscience of the American public.

To disrespect any poet, or any poetry, in that
position is irresponsible.

I don't care if the man likes Sandwiches
I don't care if the man is a poet
I don't care if the man fucks goats

He is a representative of Poetry.

I may call call Charles Bukowski a Garbage Pail
Laureate, and say that he wrote about flies,
fucking, being drunk, horse racing, and poverty.

But when I dismiss that writing, and those who
read it, I have become dismissive of the position I
represent.

(snip)

But when I dismiss that writing, and those who
read it, I have become dismissive of the position I
represent.

That. And he probably sniffs little boys undies.[/QUOTE]

Well, I don't know that. But I do know that he dismisses
Poetry, and those who read it, and those who have writen it.

I know that you are kidding, but it really frys my ass that
someone in a position of authority has such little regard for
the institution they have been entrusted to.

That and I like to consider myself a writer on occasion. . . :o

In other words, my sentiments exactly. ;)

It fries my ass too, and I've never written a thing (but I can spell fries and written).
And see, Vodka was right too. Assholes to a man! :eek:

Seriously... you are right on the $.

Poets are always sniping at each other. Because of competitiveness and jealousy, I wonder whether they can be "objective" about each others' work. Robert Graves, the English poet, dismissed virtually ALL his contemporaries! I mean W.B. Yeats, Dylan Thomas, T.S. Eliot, Ezra Pound, etc. I think he only liked Robert Frost. One could compile a rather amusing history of poetry by putting together all the weird/asinine/crazy comments poets have made about each other.
One thing Graves did, however--he actually QUOTED and commented on passages of the poets he criticized and tried to show WHY he thought their work was flawed. I wouldn't mind it if Pinsky did that--quote chapter and verse and tell us what your criteria are for good writing and then go ahead and demolish your target. But just taking pot shots is very cheap.

The strongest imagine I got about Pinsky from this article (besides his brown suit) was he was buying a light bulb. I think it says he needs ideas or one of my favorites,"The lights are on and nobody's home." Also, although he's eating a Rueben sandwich the writer emphasizes the cheese.
Yes the article does point out how full Pinsky is, full of himself. On the bright side, Bukowski was mentioned, any advertising is good advertising just spell the name right.

I had to read that article agian. and marqcoiq welcome to the forum. You get to make the Rueben sandwiches for the party but please hold the shit.

That's only if you're talking about this guy:

zreuban7b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back