Robert Stone / Dog Soldiers (1 Viewer)

Apologies if there's already a thread on this but I couldn't find one. Anyway, I'm about half-way through this book and enjoying it a lot. It has a very 70s feel to it (I know it's written and set in the 70s you smart asses) and sort of puts my in mind of Sam Peckinpah's The Getaway. I just wondered if there were any other fans of Stone out there and if anyone had read / could recommend any of his other works.
Cheers guys.

I was kidding. I meant the low budget UK horror movie of the same name. It's a decent enough (and daft) little film though.
Although your version sounds hilarious.

Oh aye that Dog Soldiers. I never saw it but but I remember when it came out everyone I knew was dead excited about it because one of the characters is a geordie (or so I was told). I think I'll have to give it a watch now you've uploaded it.

Aye mate a fellow geordie. I thought you would be as well, or maybe Scottish, when you wrote "daft" in your message. Never really hear southerners or yanks saying it.

I've confounded many a bigg market patron in my time by yelling "I am Arturo Bandini!" in crowded pubs.

Not so much brave as too mapped to know better. No signs of gentrification as of yet but they're trying to class up Pumphreys by enforcing a dress code (no caps, no trackies). I doubt that's managed to lure the Osborne Road crowd though.

Been many years since I read it but I remember liking Stone's "A Flag for Sunrise" just as much as I did "Dog Soldiers." His first novel "Hall of Mirrors" is also a good read but then again I'm a sucker for most any book set in New Orleans in the 1950s thru 1970s.

I enjoyed Hall of Mirrors a lot. It's been a good while since I read it. I may have to re-visit it soon.

I've been trying to find a copy of A Flag for Sunrise for about two years to no avail. I read a great story somewhere out of Bear And His Daughter, but that book is equally elusive.

Whenever I've checked amazon in the past they had no copies available. But just checked now and lo and behold there are copies going from a penny. Got one ordered. Looks like I'll be putting all those Edward Abbey books I had lined up on hold. Thanks for the heads up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back