Rocksteady: The Roots of Reggae (doc) (1 Viewer)

Digney in Burnaby

donkeys live a long time
I thought there was a "last seen" movie thread. If so, mods, move this there.

Made it to downtown Vancouver to see the documentary. Don't know much about rocksteady (or ska or reggae) and am always happy to learn. Off this week from work and most movies don't last more than a week in the theatres so I made the effort.

Glad I went (skytrain failed me so I missed the show I wanted to see but hung in there on the hottest day ever in Vancouver). Learned some things, loved the music, had some smiles and the hair raised on my arms on a few of the pieces the reunion band worked on.

Here's a link:

http://www.straight.com/article-241553/rocksteady-roots-reggae

That hasn't come to the US yet. I'll probably wait for the DVD anyway, since going to a movie theater requires skills I am rapidly losing.

That was a great period in Jamaican music. It's odd to look back and realize that the rocksteady/roots reggae era lasted less than 15 years (bookended by ska before it and cocaine and computers after). Such a heavy influence from such a small island (without Jamaican dub and toasting there would be no hip hop, so what the hell would music sound like now?!). Great days. I look forward to seeing those musicians again, even if it is on my TV.

What a wonderful time, all that peace & Jah-love-attitude.
It's a shame what has become of Jamaica in the last 20 years. Robbery and murder in the open streets.

The peace, love and Jah attitude still persists in Jamaica and a lot of other places around the world. It's just not as popular musically as it used to be.

Jamaica has always been a dangerous place to live. Remember, they (Jamaicans) shot Bob Marley back in 1976. Then they successfully murdered musicians Peter Tosh, Carlton Barrett, Prince Far I, Michael Smith, Hugh Mundell, King Tubby, Junior Braithwaite (original Wailer), Lincoln "Style" Scott...and others.

It's not that Jamaicans are particularly bloodthirsty, of course. You could probably compile an even longer list of American hip hop musicians who have been murdered. It's just poverty in general (and the exploitation that festers alongside it). The same problem that exists in most violent and dangerous places.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back