Scumfuck (1 Viewer)

mjp

Founding member
Mat Gleason reviews Frances Cobain's art show at La Luz De Jesus.

2010-07-06-FiddleTimCoagula.jpg

...the daughter of two complexly interwoven musical personalities whose impact on culture rivals that of any of the most successful artists of the 20th century.
I'd say that's half-true.

Does she have her father's eyes, or what ? Makes me a little sad. I'm no expert on art but she's working on themes she has seen first-hand (death, celebrity culture), so there's an authenticity there. She might be interesting to watch. I wonder if she will stick with it or end up saying to hell with it and becoming an insurance agent in Omaha Nebraska or something.

Interesting stuff, I like the creepiness. All work has been sold out. Most stuff was priced between $300.00-$500.00, I wonder how long it took to sell all pieces. From the site, I think there were only 12?

At first I thought she was the spitting image of Courtney, but now see the eyes, Kurt resemblence too.

I wonder if she will stick with it or end up saying to hell with it and becoming an insurance agent in Omaha Nebraska or something.
I doubt that she'll ever have to "be" anything to make a living. But whether she becomes an artist professionally will take a while to see. Making 12 small works like that isn't real taxing. That could be her entire creative output or it could be the tip of the iceberg.

At first I thought she was the spitting image of Courtney, but now see the eyes, Kurt resemblence too.
She's got his eyes and chin, and her mother's original nose.

francesbean-cobain.jpeg

If shew does continue on with art, her work will always be that of a privileged person who was saddled with weird parents but never had to work or worry about such mundane things as not having enough money for peanut butter or tampons. Aside from a deranged mother she doesn't really have much to draw on. She didn't know her father, and that's all anyone older than her will ever want to talk to her about.

I guess it will be like being Julian Lennon, only with more money. And he never created anything worth a shit.

What kind of gallery is it?

Ever see Juxtapoz magazine? That's the kind of gallery it is. What they used to call low-brow art (maybe they still do). I like some of the artists they represent.

She looks like she could be the younger sister of a woman that I used to know.

I like the creepiness of her artwork too. It's no astounding flash of genius or something, but far better then I'd had expected.

She seems to have a very intense stare. Hope everything is alright with her and it's just the eyes. It always makes me nervous when people stare maniacally like that. Like they would jump at something the next second. I always think, hopefully not at me.

They seem to have been in business for quite a while.
Chronic, I just checked the mag Juxtapoz, and low brow art. New term to me. We'll see what happens.
They only take submissions for group shows, but still could be fun!
Johannes, I know what you mean about the stare. A little like famous Charlie!

You know... it all just seems a little too obvious. Maybe it really is her style, or maybe she draws what the buyers would expect from the daughter of Kurt and Courtney. If she spent a lot of time with her mother, then she will have more in common with Paris Hilton than her father. She does seem to have talent. I would have thought that it would be amazing if she did a still life in oil or pastel. It would be surprising and would not seem so faux-punk.

Anyone have any idea how much of Kurt's money Courtney spent on plastic surgery? At least she stayed away from Mickey Rourke's surgeon. Courtney looks amazing. Much younger than she did 15 years ago.

Bill

Being the child of a famous artist seems like a short term advantage that will only drag you down in the long run. Although Dan Fante seems to be rising above it.

And Arlo Guthrie has done okay in his own right.

The nice thing about being the child of a celebrity is that it you provides you with a lot of publicity, which is great if you have something to express.
But it could also cause you to remain average, because you are already riding with a good suspension and no need to surpass yourself.
That is how things work.
You need to get some living before you can create anything, but without the work, living could also be about nothing. I think that Bukowski said something like that.
She is young, all the best to her.

I am surprised that she was named Frances, and not Ladedarlinga or Holycocalola...

As good as her art is, it will always fall short of her father's art.

As famous as she gets on her own art, there will NEVER be one interview that she does where her father is not mentioned. It will be much worse for her if she starts a band. She will get signed by a major label, and will sell out every show that she does. They won't be there to see her, but the ghost of her father.

Bill

"17 years old, an emancipated minor, the daughter of two complexly interwoven musical personalities whose impact..." blah,blah. I know many emancipated minors that actually have to WORK for a living.

Besides that, do you think that anyone would 'review' or accept even really good work of some unknown teenager - right!

In this country all you have to do, is be SEEN with somebody famous - and you are famous too!

yeah, the big buyers are usually purchasing art that has a safe market value, based on who's who. So many $ per square inch or foot.

And the gallery also decides who they'll hang on their walls, depending on how many dollars certain artist bring per square foot, and how long a piece will stay on the wall before it sells.

I have also met rich excentric people who will buy only what they like, but they are rare.

It is really up to the artist to know who they are and stay focused. Rich or poor.

black swan: let me see your artwork and i can try to help you out with a gallery idea. billy shire, who owns la luz, also runs a more proper gallery in culver city where he shows some of the same work in less chaotic surroundings. i have shown at la luz early on and it is a bit of a circus. you can get lost in there with all the things that look similar, and then there are all the toys, etc. it's just a lot of stimuli. billy shire might be better, or perhaps an even better gallery. email me.

I am surprised that she was named Frances, and not Ladedarlinga or Holycocalola...
Bean isn't weird enough for you? ;)

The name Frances comes from Frances Farmer, infamous Hollywood wild child who was locked in the nut house for being too much for the Hollywood system to handle.

"Frances Farmer will have her revenge on Seattle" was something Cobain said or named a song, I don't know.

Yup, a track off of In Utero. Apparently Frances Farmer was an obsession for both him and Love. In truth, they could have named their child much worse, especially as both were heroin junkies.

I guess it will be like being Julian Lennon, only with more money. And he never created anything worth a shit.
mjp, how could you!?

[This video is unavailable.]

and as some of you said, that stare she has in the first pic, oh my!

In my opinion, her being emancipated form Courtney Love is a point in her favor. Frances may have the common sense to know her mother is a basket case.

Anyone have any idea how much of Kurt's money Courtney spent on plastic surgery? At least she stayed away from Mickey Rourke's surgeon. Courtney looks amazing. Much younger than she did 15 years ago.
She didn't?
actually, I liked her looks in a certain movie... can't remember, maybe a doc. Oh! The People vs. Larry Flynt (1996)

courtney_love.jpg

I think that she does look a little like Mickey! Or, is it just me?

In truth, they could have named their child much worse, especially as both were heroin junkies.

I did'nt know heroin junkies have a reputation of giving their kids weird names, apart from names like, Dropper, Syringe, and Kick, of course. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
forgive me but they're awful.

i seriously doubt anyone would look twice if the famous name wasn't attached.

(IMHO BTW)

I agree. theyre awful. they look to me like something the kid sitting next to you in high school scribbled on the cover of his note book. ( do kids still use notebooks?)

They're not my cup of tea either, but I'm no art connoisseur.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. theyre awful. they look to me like something the kid sitting next to you in high school scribbled on the cover of his note book. ( do kids still use notebooks?)

I always kinda felt that Kurt Cobain's artwork looked similar, so... maybe like father, like daughter.

... no, she was a higher caliber of evil, her presence put you ill at ease and eye contact with the blob of tornado flesh called Courtney reminded you that you hated yourself.

Ha ha ha.

Reminds me of someone I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back