Second Coming, Vol. 5, No. 1 (1 Viewer)

Pogue Mahone

Officials say drugs may have played a part
This is a good one to have. It contains 25 Bukowski poems.

According to the database, 10 of these are uncollected.

Most of the collected appeared in Love is a Dog From Hell, although reading through other threads, some of these may have been modified (The Crunch) for the book. A couple others were published in posthumous collections, so were probably modified.

I’m posting the 10 uncollected here, but can do scans if the experts want to compare them to the books.

(MJP, let me know if these are too many files. I'd post as Thumbnails, but they can be hard to read.)

222.jpg

333.jpg

444.jpg

25 Poems. That's a lot. I gotta think he was pushing the envelope with Martin, especially with the upcoming book. Martin either felt like this was free publicity or Buk pissed away his precious rights. My guess is second. Enjoy what Martin didn't ruin...

Using the database here, I've put in hours looking into the various magazines to find out which ones offered the biggest bang for the buck in terms of unpublished stuff. This one rose to the top, along with The New Censorship Vol. 3 No. 1 (10 uncollected poems), The New Censorship Vol. 4 No. 2 (15 uncollected poems) and, to a lesser extent, books/mags like Hearse 17 (five uncollected poems).

MJP, let me know if these are too many files.
No such thing as too many posts of uncollected poems. Though I'll probably end up making these a little smaller and consolidating some of them. I usually do that, and no one seems to be the wiser.
I gotta think he was pushing the envelope with Martin, especially with the upcoming book. Martin either felt like this was free publicity or Buk pissed away his precious rights.
Virtually everything went to little mags before landing in a Black Sparrow collection. You don't give up the rights to collect your work with another publisher when you have it published first in a magazine. Most of the time what happens, technically, is the rights revert to the author after publication. In these little literary magazines especially.

Those magazines wouldn't have survived if they asked for long-term rights to the work. No good writers would submit.

for A.D. is for Al in Love is a Dog from Hell.
goodbye, goodbye clipped-winged bluebird is the singer in What Matters Most (was already in the database as alternate).
I'm as crazy as I ever was is as crazy as I ever was in Love is a Dog from Hell.
V.G.
is Van Gogh in What Matters Most and Pleasures of the Damned.

Purple Stickpin is what we Irish call a Southie (trust me, this is a kind reference). They are the rednecks of the North and if their daughters are not married by 18 and still living at home, they send them to the street to give $5 blowjobs and beat the shit out of them if they charge $10 and pocket extra the $5. My point being, $20 is the subnormal price, but a normal price is $30...

There are four copies on abe (using Second Coming Vol. 5 No. 1 as the search term). Two for $25 (very good to fine), one for $30 (very fine) and an outlier at $40 (very good). Knowing what we know about abe prices, you have your answer. If abe is the "normal" price, I've been going about this all wrong for the past 10 years.

But Bukfan, I wouldn't sweat it - it's a good collection and I would pay $30 for it. My point being that abe suggests otherwise.

for A.D. is for Al in Love is a Dog from Hell.
goodbye, goodbye clipped-winged bluebird is the singer in What Matters Most (was already in the database as alternate).
I'm as crazy as I ever was is as crazy as I ever was in Love is a Dog from Hell.
V.G.
is Van Gogh in What Matters Most and Pleasures of the Damned.
Thank you, mjp. It's always interesting to compare different versions. Regarding the poems for A.D. and I'm as crazy as I ever was I like the (shortened) Love is a Dog from Hell - versions better. I wonder who made changes (in this particular case). Bukowski himself?

Last edited:
I wonder who made changes (in this particular case). Bukowski himself?
Depends on who you believe.

Bear in mind that Love is a Dog from Hell was published around the same time Women was published. Bukowski's irritation with Martin's changes to Women is well known.

Bear in mind that Love is a Dog from Hell was published around the same time Women was published. Bukowski's irritation with Martin's changes to Women is well known.
I was thinking about that too and just reread a letter from Bukowski to Carl Weissner, Jan 1979. Bukowski is complaining about the massive changes and cuts that Martin did to Women.
Well, the answer to my question above seems to be a matter of likelihood...

There are four copies on abe (using Second Coming Vol. 5 No. 1 as the search term). Two for $25 (very good to fine), one for $30 (very fine) and an outlier at $40 (very good). Knowing what we know about abe prices, you have your answer. If abe is the "normal" price, I've been going about this all wrong for the past 10 years.

I have found that abe prices are generally reasonable for Buk items in the $20-50 range. I've purchased Sparrows, Wormies and quite a few
other lower priced items that were almost uniformly higher on eBay. Just anecdotal, but unless we're talking marquee items, I've been mostly
very pleased with abe sellers.
and once again, I've proven my complete ineptitude
in figuring out how to quote and reply.

My apologies for my comments to Stickpin last night...I was suffering from irritable bowel syndrome... aka, drinking too much and shitting from the mouth...

Won't be the last time....

To quote Willie Nelson,

"If I hurt your feelings, I'm sorry. But if I made you mad, fuck you."

But really, sorry... sure...

But Bukfan, I wouldn't sweat it - it's a good collection and I would pay $30 for it. My point being that abe suggests otherwise.

Well, we know Abe's prices are often way too high, but two for $25 (very good to fine), one for $30 (very fine) does´nt sound too expensive to me (but the $40 copy does). Even if you could buy them on Ebay for a few dollars less they're still fairly decent prices.

figuring out how to quote and reply
This version of the forum software has you covered. Just highlight the text you want to quote and an option will automatically pop up.

(Hidden bonus track: triple click on a paragraph to quote the whole paragraph.)

No need to open a kettle of pirhanas on this issue. I agree, abe prices on the $20-$30 items aren't that far off. Regardless, I've made much worse decisions than purchasing Second Coming Vol. 5 No. 1 for $30 or $35. And these are well-documented here.

I had no idea that a copy of this chapbook is so pricey these days.
I bought my copy from a buknet member 4-5 years ago, I believe I paid $8,- or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back