Snow in Las Vegas (1 Viewer)

Nuthin' like palm fronds coated in snow in December. Lost the SIM card for my electronic cam so I had to run out and get one of those crappy 35mm single use cameras but the pictures will be awesome. Here in Summerlin, at 3,000 ft., it began sticking at 10:00 AM after it first began snowing at 8:30 AM. We should be getting between 3-4 inches here in the western edge of the valley. I would say we easily have two inches here right now just past 1:00 and it's forecast to continue snowing until 4:00 PM. I know, I know, it's snow, so what? But I haven't seen snow in 30 years, being a California boy and all.

we have snow too. i went sledding with the kids today and forgot to put my feet down on the ground therefore scooping up a pile of snow into my pants on the way down. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

i don't like palm trees.

Snow in Portland too. 3 inches and none of these assholes know how to drive.

This is precisely why I left Massachusetts...

But it does look pretty, even if there's little to no salt on the road.

i also hate it when people move here from other states, ahem, to a state i've been living in my entire life, and which ahem you moved to from where you were living for some reason, and then complain that we don't know how to drive in snow.

oh wait. you could have stayed where people know how to drive in the snow?

Well, it was only 40 degrees here in Pasadena yesterday morning, so I am hoping that it will cool down just a bit more and drop a foot of snow on the Rose Parade.

hhmmm.

it almost hit 60 here today.

but I find that people here are always taken by surprise when we get our first snowfall. everything gets canceled, people forget how to drive, etc.

like it's not Canada. but Halifax is the most temperate city in Canada, so maybe we get cocky. I know I do. but that has nothing to do with the weather, and is total disillusion on my part, but it makes me feel good.

Well, it was only 40 degrees here in Pasadena yesterday morning, so I am hoping that it will cool down just a bit more and drop a foot of snow on the Rose Parade.

That's the best idea yet. What global warming?

and Father Luke, my baby girl is in Portland. I don't need to see that right now.

i also hate it when people move here from other states, ahem, to a state i've been living in my entire life, and which ahem you moved to from where you were living for some reason, and then complain that we don't know how to drive in snow.

oh wait. you could have stayed where people know how to drive in the snow?

That's what I'm saying though. The assholes in my former state (Massholes, to most) don't know how to drive in snow either.

Massholes

You just wait until Purple Stickpin sees that.

Massholes! LOL!:D

I love that. That's the word for today. Although, the Brokeback Mountain flavor is hard to beat.

Well, the snow finally passed shortly after 4:00 PM. It was a good little storm, about seven and a half hours of beautiful snow. Around 6:00 PM I went out to get the mail, which entailed walking over a perambulating sidewalk in our apartment complex for what amounts to one city block before coming to the clubhouse where the mail room is located. Yeah. Since I walk with a cane, that "permabulating" part is a bitch on a bright and sunny day but it's downright Disneyland of the Damned after it's snowed.

NEWS FLASH: I just remembered I hate snow. It turns to pebbles of ice at your feet in the night cold with a slight drizzle of rain in the air and that ice on the ground sends up a chill that puts a mean bite in the night air. And you walk like some Frankenstein's beast as the balls of ice under your feet send you swaying to and fro lest you fall on your ass in their vain attempt to fuck with your concepts of laws of gravity.

What kind of passive-aggressive shit is that on the part of Mother Nature? "Here's some lovely snow to look at that, isn't that nice? Hmmmm?" Followed by "Yeah, good luck getting to your car, asshat."

Yeah.

I hate snow!

it's so cold man. and it's going to snow again. no school today, no school tomorrow. thank god we have power.

i have a fireplace though.

and i think i'm sensitive because my best friend is from Michigan and is always bitching that Portlandians don't know how to drive in the snow. well, der. it snows here like maybe twice a year. maybe that's partly the reason you moved here from hell?

(sorry anyone who is in michigan)

and yes goddammit i am a poor sled driver too. lots of screams and oh holy shit i'm going to run into that parked car. and snow in the pants.

What kind of passive-aggressive shit is that on the part of Mother Nature? "Here's some lovely snow to look at that, isn't that nice? Hmmmm?" Followed by "Yeah, good luck getting to your car, asshat."

Yeah.

I hate snow!

Yeah that's pretty much my feeling on the thing too. Snow can be absolutely beautiful. But after making a 45 minute drive in 4 hours because of snow and being surrounded by truckers going the speed limit, or above...

I fucking hate it too.

it's so cold man. and it's going to snow again. no school today, no school tomorrow. thank god we have power.

i have a fireplace though.

and i think i'm sensitive because my best friend is from Michigan and is always bitching that Portlandians don't know how to drive in the snow. well, der. it snows here like maybe twice a year. maybe that's partly the reason you moved here from hell?

Power is a wonderful thing. I have friends back in MA who lost power in the most recent storm out there. I don't know what I'd do without electricity. For heat, mainly.

And yeah I moved from MA to avoid the snow. But it backfired spectacularly.

What really stuns me is that a day later, major roads still have snow on them. MA response time for snow is crazy. This would have all been cleaned up in about 4-6 hours in MA. But as you say, it is a rarity out here.

yah i hear from people who've driven the main roads and freeways that they are fine, but my kids' school will be closed for a second day tomorrow.

dude, christmas vacation is coming. and christmas vacation, god bless their sweet little faces, lasts a long time. do we really need to tack another week on to that?

what you think down there Rodger? global warming?

I think you nailed it, FL, a cold day in Hell ...

As for global warming, Vodka, I'm not qualified to answer. We're undergoing a period right now of rapid change: political change, climate change, trade balance change, energy change ... it's as if history is in a constant fluid state right now and it's too much to keep up with.

lord knows i won't be doing the driving. someone from MA came and picked up my license this morning.

edit: i agree with you Rodger. i think you should write about it. do you keep a blog? i cannot remember.

Ummm ... my blog URL is at the bottom of my sig. You don't pay attention to me, I knew it. You don't care, not enough that you have to ask "do you keep a blog? i cannot remember". Ha! I knew it. I mean nothing to you. My words are insignificant to you, my ponderings are but mere rock ice beneath your tennis-shoe clad feet, my ...

Did I mention it snowed all day today? Yep. It did.

laughing so hard. i knew i saw it somewhere all the time.

i know, i know, i know i matter so much to you that you visit my blog every day.

oh wow we're both on wordpress. fancy that, neighbor.

Oh, so now you're saying you'll be more emotionally "direct" with me if I visit your blog every day. Well, okay, you have a point there.

You have a blog?

laughing out loud. uh. yes. yes i do.

and i have troubles with being emotionally direct. i'm more the emotionally out of control type. i can't really direct them anywhere, they kind of all just go flying.

Saturday I was arranging an annual get together with a friend for Sunday xmas mince tarts and coffee. We do get together at other times of the year (for walks and birthday burgers) but she likes sweet things. Of course snow was the issue, and in the forecast.

Watching the late news for weather assessments I channel flipped past the Seattle stations, all of whom had cameras on various hills to catch cars doing 360s or sliding backwards with the brakes locked. They even showed some Portland video of people polishing the glare ice (that's it, stomp on the throttle harder! As the curlers are often wont to scream, "HURRY HARD!!!!).

Of course the stations do the same up here.

Ended up my neighbourhood only got a dusting and her's about 3 inches (she's higher up the mountainside). The east side of Vancouver Island got the worst of it what with the outflow winds picking up moisture on Georgia Strait. Ten, twelve or more inches. Now that's serious paralyzing snow.

But I try not to be a wimp when it comes to someone with a good heart especially since it's gone a bit wonky the last couple years. So we had our tarts and coffee, a seasonal tradition.

Today, and the next few days, the issue is the cold (minus 6 Celsius right now) plus the windchill of the east wind. Snow coming at some point this week as well. There's always a price to pay for something sweet.

Yes, but I do!!

Snow case ambivalent here. No snow around me at the moment, but other (southern) states drowning in it. Can't understand. Global warming.

End of report.

Last edited by a moderator:
of course, most people don't know how to drive anyway, no matter the weather.

Quite true. I mostly know how to drive if I'm going down the highway (in fact, I'm too defensive), but around town? Well... I'll always be a Masshole at heart (better than a Connecticunt, amirite?).

Just kidding. I love you Connecticutters.

Another escapee of the Bay State weighs in: Nope, I don't miss the snow either, after forty plus years of shoveling, arthritis...

My Camellias are blooming here in North Gerogia.

Yes, but I do!!

Snow case ambivalent here. No snow around me at the moment, but other (southern) states drowning in it. Can't understand. Global warming.

End of report.

Just to be clear, if one believes in a man-made influence or not, global warming manifests itself in an approximate 2C temperature increase in overall Earth temperature. It has important ramifications at the poles in terms of ice-pack, but the resultant changes there then lead to changes in global weather patterns.

I'm not going to say that snow in Vegas is proof of global warming, but it similarly has nothing to do with refuting it either.

Last edited by a moderator:
growing up in tennessee (born 1975) it would snow every winter, sometimes feet of it. it's almost become a rare occasion that we get snow now. a few inches if we're lucky. global warming? i have no idea, but something's different...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back