Soundboard.blogspot (1 Viewer)

Just be careful on those download sites. Some of them will install browser extensions and adware that can be hard to get rid of.

Watch where you click, yo!

yeah thanks - should've added i haven't tried anything yet. clicked to one of the download sites and bailed.

you're much more net savvy than me - think it's too risky?

The one download link I clicked led to a page to install a browser extension, and there wasn't a link to the audio file on that page. So what they were saying is, if you want the file, you have to accept the extension first. No thanks.

On some of the download sites the the big green DOWNLOAD button installs adware, while the link to the audio file is in text way down on the page (or the link to skip to the audio is buried on the page). It's not a new tactic, the big green DOWNLOAD button, but I make it a rule never to click one of those unless I'm familiar with the site and I know it's going to get me to what I want.

There are a lot of bootleg download sites like that one buried in the recesses of tumblr that link you directly to audio file downloads. They aren't easy to find, but once you find one they usually link to others. So for me, a site with too many questionable links just isn't worth the potential trouble.

And if you've ever had to remove adware from your computer, you know it can be way more than a little trouble.

thanks - guess i jumped the gun posting it - i hope i didn't create any shit for anyone.

feel free to kill this thread if you think it's too scammy.

Nah, who knows, a lot of the links may be okay. I just didn't dig any further after that first one. At least if people are aware they can better navigate the rat-infested waters. ;)

From my 16-year experience as a freeloader downloader: free download sites are as dangerous as you allow them to be, no more and no less than that. Install an antivirus program, NoScript, block pop-up windows, and DON'T CLICK SOMETHING STUPID and you'll be fine.

Btw, most of the links (I didn't check them all) from the site d gray pointed to lead to ul.to and zippyshare and those free download sites are OK in my book. I'd skip 1fichier, though.

if you've ever had to remove adware from your computer, you know it can be way more than a little trouble
In 16 years of trawling the Internet only once I had a problem with a nasty malware. It took me two hours of chasing and destroying its offsprings: the bloody thing kept showing again and again under different names and I kept deleting its various .exe incarnations until I finally won. That was the only time my system was infected and it didn't get infected by a free download site. And it was back in 2005.
And before I learned what a decent protection was.

DON'T CLICK SOMETHING STUPID
The only problem with that advice is they do all they can to make the stupid links appear to be less stupid. So casually careful people can be burned.

But I think we're saying the same thing.

I was starting a download (Lou Reed) from a site that said, that a second free download was available ony after some waiting time of 90min.

Despite that I gave it a try and went to download a second one (Pixies) while the first one was still downloading.
That was a mistake.
Immediately a million warning-messages popped up one after another, which I wasn't able to close fast enough, so through that I lost control over the browser. No way to click or make any action or close the browser as this popuping was going on and on. (There also came a warning message via audio-voice, trying to sound like an official microsoft-warning about a so called "DD6VD36"-error.)

So, I had to do a forced shutdown of the computer. The good news is: System was NOT infected after that.

Which browser do you use? In case it's Firefox make sure to install NoScript extension and block pop-up windows (Avira, the antivirus program I have installed on my PC blocks that shit by default).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back