Stallone says Bukowski "was an old drunk" (1 Viewer)

mjp

Founding member
http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sections/art_life/display_ent.htm?StoryID=72065

In an aside, Stallone said that before making "Barfly," he had never heard of writer, poet and alcoholic Charles Bukowski, who wrote the semi-autobiographical film. "I was more into writers like Jack Kerouac and Hunter S. Thompson," Stallone said. "Bukowski played a bar patron on the set and sat there and drank the whole time. It's not like he was some warm and fuzzy character -- he was an old drunk."

That is pretty funny. A wanna-be, never-was insulting a dead man.

I guess when you get movie roles just because your brother is famous it can make you a little self important.

I would be surprised if he actually reads Kerouac or Thompson. I think that it just is something that he thinks makes him look cool....

Of course, he is playing in Frederick , Maryland, which is about as culturally dead as Dover, DE. I'm sure that he is big news there. Bigger news than Carol Channing and Charo, even!

Bill

Of course, he is playing in Frederick , Maryland...
Yeah, at the community center!

Where: Common Grounds Coffee House at Monocacy Valley Church and Community Center, 9861 Old National Pike, Ijamsville

Can you smell the disappointment, desperation and resentment from there? I think I can...

"Bukowski played a bar patron on the set and sat there and drank the whole time. It's not like he was some warm and fuzzy character -- he was an old drunk."

I think that's the best compliment Stallone could make on Bukowski. That Frankie isn't aware of it, is not important at all.

bwahahahahaaa...Kerouac and Hunter S. Thompson are two of the most notorious alcoholics in literary history...I'm not sure why he used them as an example of writers who are the antithesis of Bukowski. Asshole

It's sort of ironic that Stallone is about the ONLY person who didn't get skewered by Buk in Hollywood...and that Buk called him a "beer-o".

Where: Common Grounds Coffee House at Monocacy Valley Church and Community Center, 9861 Old National Pike, Ijamsville

:DThat reminds me of my wife's hometown. You'll drive down the street and see "Billy Bob's Church of Christ and the Royal Squeegie of Antioch" nestled in a strip mall in between a Bait and Tackle shop and a Denture store.

frank! frank! don't be so...

"Bukowski played a bar patron on the set and sat there and drank the whole time. It's not like he was some warm and fuzzy character -- he was an old drunk."

I think that's the best compliment Stallone could make on Bukowski. That Frankie isn't aware of it, is not important at all.

perfect typecasting or what?!

Yeah, at the community center!

Can you smell the disappointment, desperation and resentment from there? I think I can...

I can smell the stink of his failure 150 miles away in Dover. It smells a little like the smell of a chicken farm, mixed with grape lollipops...

Bill

I wonder if Stallone is a warm and fuzzy character?
Anyway, who cares what Stallone thinks. It's not like he's famous or something, like a certain "old drunk" we know...

Last edited by a moderator:
From Frank Stallone's Page on IMDB:

The Road to Freedom: L. Ron Hubbard and Friends (1986) (V) .... Featured Performer (Vocals: 'The Evil Purpose', 'The Road to Freedom', 'The ARC Song')

Think I'll stick with the "old drunk" thanks.

What a cheek!

That bastard! He held back the most important word!
Bukowski was an old LEWD drunk! :D
Come on, guys, I think B. would have taken no offence, he was cool. So there's no need to rescue his "honor" ... ;)

The point is for a never been person whose only little bit of fame was handed to him by his famous brother to sum up a person's character in one sentence is insulting. Yes, Buk would have cared less.

I just hate seeing someone who has done exactly nothing try to ridicule someone who set out to do something and did it.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

Bill

... a never been person ...

Ha! I like that one, Bill. A never been.

Okay, Frank S didn't know Bukowski, and hasn't learned a thing about him since. Nevermind. If he follows his brother's example, we might still see 'Barfly 6: Eddie's Revenge'.

Oh if only.

From Frank Stallone's Page on IMDB:

The Road to Freedom: L. Ron Hubbard and Friends (1986) (V) .... Featured Performer (Vocals: 'The Evil Purpose', 'The Road to Freedom', 'The ARC Song')
What? Stallone is a scientologist? Well forget everything I said then. All bets are off. They will say anything.

wow just look at him. "Ok we will play off your older brother's name but we'll put a zany kick in there! You have a GUITAR! You're a bad boy! Now say something about the only movie you were in."

Bukowski played a bar patron on the set and sat there and drank the whole time.

I'm sorry... is he saying that there is something wrong with that?!

I would have to sit and drink a long time before I could listen to one of Frank's songs... remember this gem from that masterpiece "Staying Alive":

Frank Stallone- Far From Over

http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sections/art_life/display_ent.htm?StoryID=72065

In an aside, Stallone said that before making "Barfly," he had never heard of writer, poet and alcoholic Charles Bukowski, who wrote the semi-autobiographical film. "I was more into writers like Jack Kerouac and Hunter S. Thompson," Stallone said. "Bukowski played a bar patron on the set and sat there and drank the whole time. It's not like he was some warm and fuzzy character -- he was an old drunk."

LMAO!
well WHAT do you WANT him to do? he's bukowski! he sits and he drinks. :)

Amen. And at least he was honest with himself, never pretending to be something he wasn't, like Frank Stallone the Singer. :eek:

lmao.
ya. and its not like stallone has created anything of any value, anyway. a great piece of literature vs rambo? erhh.. i think i'll stick to the first.

Wow. I have no idea if the grammy/Korea part is true, but I never even knew he sang! But (I'm sure you guys were aware long ago, but ah, awful.) Shoot me now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back