tales narrated under alcohol (1 Viewer)

I've been looking for texts which are written in first person, and the narrator is who is telling the story is doing that through a distorted perspective. A madman, a drunk, drugged person telling a story.
I don't remember reading anything like that by Bukowski, but I guess he might have something.
If somemone could help me, with anything written by bukowski on any other authors, it would be great!

Bruno Senise

--rio de janeiro---

it might be said that almost all of Bukowski's stuff was written under the influence, a distorted perspective. though in Buk's case the distortion might have been more of a reality to him than not.

In a way we are all from a distorted perspective. I know people who drink to get their thinking right, otherwise stay out of their face.
There was a manuscript by Dr Timothy Leary available at eBay recently- that would be from a distorted perspective.

BTW Welcome to Bukowski dot Net the truly enlightened perspective. Are you doing a research project for school?

The thing is that I haven't been looking for texts WRITTEN through a distorted perspective, i'm looking for stories told through this perspective, stories NARRATED throught that, even if by fictitious characters
Thanks a lot!!

try hunter thompson's story "first visit with mescalito" in his book "songs of the doomed", page 119. it's also in his book "screwjack". he wrote the piece as he was feeling the effects of various drugs. it's quite interesting...

brief excerpt:
"jesus, 6:45 now and the pill has taken hold now for real. the metal on the typewriter had turned from dull green to a sort of high-gloss blue, the keys sparkle, glitter with highlights...i sort of levitated in the chair, hovering in front of the typewriter, not sitting. fantastic brightness on everything..."

I use to love that when that happened.

drolshagen If you want it from alcohol. Then that would be the work of most writers, wouldn't you think?

I've been looking for texts which are written in first person, and the narrator is who is telling the story is doing that through a distorted perspective. A madman, a drunk, drugged person telling a story.

Hi Bruno,

I suggest that you find out more about the works of Fitz Hugh Ludlow, a tremendous writer who died at the tender age of 34 after writing voluminously under the influence of hashish - he became addicted. I've read a number of his writings and been greatly impressed. (It's amazing some of these relatively unknown writers when there are readers who decry the lack of talent out there, past or present. But of course, it's a matter of personal taste as well.)

http://users.lycaeum.org/~sputnik/Ludlow/THE/Biography/biography.html

There's also Samuel Taylor Coleridge who wrote considerably under the influence of opium.

While Coleridge is by far the more famous of the two, Ludlow, in my opinion, is by far the greater writer and light-years ahead of Coleridge's school-bookishly conventional poetry.

In addition there's Bayard Taylor, who wrote The Vision of Hasheesh in - get this - 1854, a man Ludlow read:

http://users.lycaeum.org/~sputnik/Ludlow/Texts/taylor.html

Each of these men were true pioneers in the exploration of chemical substances upon human consciousness and creativity a hundred years before others came along.

In Bukowski's case - he's unprecedented, in my view. What's amazing about him is that even when writing under the influence, he came across as more sane and insightful than 90 percent of the writers who were sober. It's perhaps opposite from what one might expect, and that's a doctoral thesis for someone. In other words, alcohol seemed to release him from his inhibitions and his perceptions became sharper. I can't say this of any other writer I've ever read. It's something of a miracle and the result of the way his brain was wired for genius. Barbet Schroeder's Bukowski Tapes is a perfect example of him in action under the influence, in additional to most of the man's writings. When he was sick at the end of his life, he wrote many of his poems while not under the influence. Can anyone tell the difference between the two? Perhaps and perhaps not. There was also William Faulkner (alcohol) and Jack Kerouac (all-night writing sessions using stimulants).

Good luck, Poptop

Users who are viewing this thread

Back