The Criterion Channel (1 Viewer)

mjp

Founding member
The Criterion Channel debuted on Monday, and if you like movies even a little bit it's worth checking out.

I was up until the wee hours of this morning watching shorts and extras and different shows they have. I don't know where else you can see a show about an art house theater in Juneau Alaska, Jane Campion's first short film, or completely unhinged shit like Life and Freaky Times of Uncle Luke (well, obviously you can watch that on Vimeo, but you get the point). I imagine you can see a lot of the things on the channel elsewhere, but I'm not big on watching video on a computer, so for me the appeal is having the HD picture on the TV and being able to sit on the couch and lose sleep trying to go through it all.

Criterion had a previous service called Filmstruck that I gather was pretty much the same thing as The Criterion Channel, but I never took a look at it. Anyway, the channel is a treasure trove. It's a pay service ($10.99 a month or $99 a year), but so far I'd say it's well worth what they charge.

If you haven't already, watch that piece about restoring Mildred Pierce. The restorations are done frame by frame by frame...it's insane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back