The Death Of Rock (1 Viewer)

mjp

Founding member
The Death Of Mistakes Means The Death Of Rock

That title should say "meant" rather than "means," because the death happened a long time ago. But still a great read, and an important idea to try to get across to people.

Includes an informative video on the evils of overcompression, something I've whined about here before but no one probably understood.

If you could frame blog posts I'd frame that one and hang it on the wall.

Includes an informative video on the evils of overcompression, something I've whined about here before but no one probably understood.
Anyone out there? Is this thing on?

A little compression goes a long way. As a bass player, I need it, but just to keep those over-zealously plucked notes from going nuts.

And Rain is just a fantastic song. I disagree that Ringo is dragging the beat, but point well taken.

Thanks for posting this; this kind of thing is extremely interesting to me and I'm not even a musician or a super-technically-minded person, but that's OK because ultimately this article illustrates a very basic, simple point.

A lot of my favorite music is pre-alternative from the mid and late 80s as well as a lot of the post/art punk stuff, and I always ALWAYS have noticed that music just doesn't SOUND the same anymore, once digital took over.

Also, Rain is one of the best goddamned songs in the world.

N.P.R. and P.R.I.

Do we already have an NPR thread? There is a ton of good info that comes from them and best of all without commercial interruptions-except when they need money every 4 or 5 months.

I think most people like that song because it slows down and then picks back up,like a big truck making a tight turn, which is not what songs are supposed to do. IMO

I disagree that Ringo is dragging the beat, but point well taken.
Well it's not really fair to say anyone is dragging anything on Rain, since the master was intentionally slowed down when they mixed in order to make the whole song "drag" a bit.

But yeah, I thought that comment was a bit off too. Surprising since the author was the guitar player in Sleater-Kinney.

It was a good article with good info for someone like me, not being a musician but music lover.

I suppose that is why I like live shows in small joints.

It also reminds me of why it is some much easier to return a
pre-retainers smile.

A little compression goes a long way. As a bass player, I need it, but just to keep those over-zealously plucked notes from going nuts.
No doubt. They used compressors in the studios in the 60's too, for various reasons. But never in the way they do now, on the final mix, to make the track "louder."

So all The Shaggs needed was a bit more compression?
The Shaggs could not be compressed! The sheer, overwhelming force of their genius would have broken the divinely inspired sounds free from the bonds of compression. It says so in the bible.

The Shaggs could not be compressed! The sheer, overwhelming force of their genius would have broken the divinely inspired sounds free from the bonds of compression. It says so in the bible.

Thus spoke Zappa.

Fuck it, The Shaggs are rock and roll.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back