The Dice Man (1 Viewer)

Johannes

Founding member
Holy fuck, has anyone of you read The Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart?
About a psychiatrist who decides to let the dice decide about his life.

Somehow very 70's but some of the most interesting, well-written and funny stuff I've read in a long time. Try it.

I've heard it's a good novel. I actually have it, but I never got around to reading it. Maybe it's about time I did.
The theme reminds me of an old Donald Duck story in which Donald becomes a member of "Flipism", so he starts flipping a coin every time he has to make a decision, and everything goes terribly wrong for him, of course.

Donald-Flippism-3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"Flipism" -- I like that. Not sure I would want to read a novel about a psychiatrist, but I do want to hear more about Donald and that character (a dog?) flipping a coin.

"Flipism" -- I like that. Not sure I would want to read a novel about a psychiatrist, but I do want to hear more about Donald and that character (a dog?) flipping a coin.

You can read it here:

http://disneycomics.free.fr/Ducks/Barks/show.php?s=date&loc=1953/W_WDC_149-01

It's a hilarious 10-page story by the world famous American Disney artist, Carl Barks. It's one of the classic Donald Duck stories from the 1950's. The story is a great spoof on all the systems certain people and organizations wants us to subscribe too, and often for a fee. Things like Scientology, the Moonies, and various gurus and religions comes to mind.
The dog-like character is Professor Batty who is the guy who sells Flipism to gullible people

Donald-Flippism-3-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I first thought of flipping the coin too!

The central point of the book is, that there is no such thing as "personality" or "identity", that it's all arbitrary and random. So acting to the dices possibilities will allow you to be a couple of persons and identities you'd never had been otherwise. Like: rapist, murderer, child-molestor, lover of your neighbors wife, saint, religious maniac ... etc.

It's really interesting and funny, well written (at least the German translation I am reading). Check it out, bros.

Thanks for the link, Bukfan. I'll check that out. Sorry, Johannes, but the novel sounds a bit creepy. Kind of like an excuse to run rampant with no accountability. d gray: "friendo!" I love that movie. Wasn't it a 1940s Mercury dime he was flipping in that scene?

"friendo!" I love that movie. Wasn't it a 1940s Mercury dime he was flipping in that scene?

sorry, but it's too good not to post. i was rewatching it just before this thread started so...

he should've got 2 academy awards for that part.

I thought The Dice Man was a great idea and very funny in places. I just felt that it only really had that one idea and went on too long with it. In short, I was a bit bored by the end and haven't been inspired to read his other novels on the same theme. As for it being very 70s, I know what you mean. It sort of reminded me of Annie Hall / Manhattan-era Woody Allen.

Ah, it's funny. That might help. A serious novel about an amoral shrink wouldn't be something I would want to read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back