The Jacaranda Review Vol. III, No. 2 (1988) (1 Viewer)

Pogue Mahone

Officials say drugs may have played a part
The Jacaranda Review Vol. III, No. 2 was published by The Ecco Press in 1988 (Before it was purchased by Harper Collins).

I did not see the titles of these three poems in the database:
  • Put Out the Candles
  • The Movie Actors
z4.jpg

z5.jpg

z6.jpg

definitely YES to what james said!
Pogue, you're a fine man!

If it wasn't for the fine men who built the database, I'd be shooting in the dark. I just became a dad for the first time at age 47. During all the waiting time at the hospital, I kept going back and forth between ABE and the database, trying to find stuff that wasn't logged. I really pounded the shit out of the database with all the searches, but it kept spitting out what I wanted to know. If some of the titles of the poems hadn't been Martinized, I would have batted closer to 1,000.

If some of the titles of the poems hadn't been Martinized, I would have batted closer to 1,000.
The ones that we know of should be listed (there are currently 449). If/when you come across an alternate title that isn't in the database let me know. According to Abel's book, re-titling was pretty common in the earlier work, and of course we see evidence of it throughout Bukowski's writing. It got a lot worse when Martin started re-titling things.

The cross referencing necessary to find all of the alternate titles wasn't done when the titles were originally entered (actually no cross referencing could be done on the original database, it was very rudimentary). The only way to do that kind of referencing is to search bits of the poem text.

I've considered adding the poem text to the database to let those kinds of matches be made (though it would not display the full text), but that would be a huge undertaking, and it would slow down the database queries. Having said that I am working on adding - and displaying - the first four lines of the poems, which could come in handy when doing reference work.

The only way to do that kind of referencing is to search bits of the poem text.

As some folks know, I turn around and sell these on eBay, which helps fund the endeavor. I've gotten to the point where I post them here first, just in case what I think is an "uncollected" piece is really an "unedited, first appearance." I want to be honest as possible when I sell things, so I really appreciate the help in discerning the difference.

Even when it turns out to be an "unedited, first appearance" instead of "uncollected," I think we all find a lot of value in seeing the original.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back