The Sadness of Rainpipes... - POETRY NEWSLETTER 9/10 (1 Viewer)

Jason

Founding member
uncollected Bukowski poem: The Sadness Of Rainpipes And Murder, And Myself Alive

POETRY NEWSLETTER 9/10, edited by Wally Depew, Mike Perkins, and Linda Bandt
Sacramento: Poetry Newsletter, 1966
First edition, mimeographed side stapled 8.5" x 11" sheets. Contributors include: Charles Bukowski, Judson Crews, Richard Krech, d.a. levy, Gene Fowler.

buk-the saddness of.JPG

Thanks, Jason! - "..like a moth sucked out by a spider..". That's some image!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for my ignorance with this but was the dog he's speaking of Jane's? Remember reading somewhere (source?) that he mistreated a dog and felt guilty for it afterwards. Or was he speaking of Garcia Lorca? Good, full lusty poem. Thanks for posting this.

Sorry for my ignorance with this but was the dog he's speaking of Jane's? Remember reading somewhere (source?) that he mistreated a dog and felt guilty for it afterwards. Or was he speaking of Garcia Lorca? Good, full lusty poem. Thanks for posting this.
The dead dog is Lorca.

The woman is FrancEye, who was not his legal wife. She was the mother of his daughter, Marina.

Bill

Thanks! Some great lines here, especially the following:

but there is more a tendency on my part
to tear off my arms and legs and head plus my
jar opener
and begin again like a
moth sucked-out by a spider and blowing in a bomb of
leaf and thread

Yet another great, uncollected poem. Do these slip by just because they're harder to come by, or are they left on the cutting room floor?

Do these slip by just because they're harder to come by, or are they left on the cutting room floor?
Only Martin could answer that, but it would seem that unless someone (that someone being Bukowski, when he was alive) brought some of this older work to his attention, he simply wouldn't be aware of it, so it would remain uncollected.

Martin has said that he collected "all the magazines [he] could find" when he discovered Bukowski's work, but I don't think he went at it with quite the obsessive drive that some collectors do, so a lot was overlooked.

He did reject some stuff, of course, but much of the uncollected work is of high enough quality to make it into a BSP collection, so I can't believe that it was all considered and what we're reading here just didn't make the cut. But that's just my take, for what it's worth.

Martin did have this magazine, and I would say 90% of the ones in Dorbin plus 50 or 60 mags not listed in Dorbin.

All poems from the littles were considered for The Days. Dorbin went thru' them all (he was a librarian at UCSB at the time) and he chose the strongest pieces. Martin then accepted the bulk of it, rejected a few and suggested others that Dorbin had discarded. The Martin/Dorbin correspondence is pretty funny because Dorbin quickly noticed Martin business-like reasoning behind most of his moves, and he couldn't stand it. They fiercely argued over some of the poems to be included in The Days. Dorbin disliked "O, We Are The Outcasts, O We Burn In Wondrous Flame!" (a looong poem about the Outcast editors) and Martin loved it. Things like that.

Even though Dorbin edited The Days -but he's not credited as such- some editions of The Days included a nice thank you (printed) note by Bukowski... which was surreptitiously removed in later editions.

The Days-verso.jpg

wow, thanks for the heads up, cirerita! i never would've noticed that little note of thanks on the copyright page, that is indeed not in my later printing.
ScannedImage-6.jpg

hey, was your picture up a minute ago? what the....well, attached the note anyways...

Well, I had no idea about this until I met Dorbin and we talked about this and other matters. A few days later, I asked Martin if he had edited The Days, and he said: "Of course I did."

Thanks cire!
As always, you are the magnificent source of inside-information to everything Bukowski.

I am so much looking forward to your publication of 'Who's Big' and the Bibliography.

The dead dog is Lorca.
If the ref. is to Lorca then I think it is treble: 1) Lorca was shot by Falangists like a dog, 2) Lorca was referred to by Dali/Bunuel as "Un Chien Andalou" (Andalusian Dog) in a film and 3) I think the excution scene in The Trial by Kafka refers to K. being killed "like a dog". CB knew at least the first and the third and probably the second.

Nice! I appreciate that a LOT.

Did Buk ever have any serious bouts of writers-block after he started getting more well known? I've read 'Locked in the arms in a crazy life' but I can't remember if there's any mention of any prolonged dry periods or not (my memory isn't great).
It's just when you look at the sheer number of work and the consistancy of most of it you just know that not only was he gifted, but he was one helluva dedicated writer. To think of him bashing out such good works like this, and then just leave them out just demonstrates that mad skill inside of him - each night hammering out beauties like this. Great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back