Theme Of Factotum (2 Viewers)

FACTOTUM - noun

1. a person, as a handyman or servant, employed to do all kinds of work around the house.
2. any employee or official having many different responsibilities.

Just that.

The many, many (shit) jobs one is forced to beg for in order just to survive.

Right! That's what the book is about, at least to a large extent.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think is this smokey voiced number...

Hey, 2 birds, one stone! Your Bukowski song and the answer to you new question in 1 convenient package.

I don't think it has a theme. If you are lucky you might get a better explanation, but as I understand it, Bukowski struggled to write Factotum. Many of the scenes in the novel had previously appeared as short pieces in magazines.

And I always thought it had something to do with working a bunch of crappy jobs...Still one of my fave novels, well I guess they all are really, but all this Factotum talk is making me want to go watch the movie, since it's been a while since I've seen it. And how could anything with a Marissa Tomei sex scene ever not be worth watching over and over again.

........ And how could anything with a Marissa Tomei sex scene ever not be worth watching over and over again.

I think that the opening scene of Before the Devil Knows You're Dead with Marisa Tomei and Phillip Seymour Hoffman will change your mind. Not something to watch over and over again.

Hmmmm.... Well I've had quite the Tomei obsession for years, but must admit I've never seen Before the Devil Knows Your Dead... I will have to see it now, and see if I agree...

Bruno, who is the lady in your avatar?

Oh and by the way, I did watch Factotum the other night and wow, to me, it has aged like a fine wine. I would say it's maybe the 4th or 5th time I've seen it and for some reason, this last viewing, I enjoyed immensely!

I just read " Down and Out in Paris and London " by George Orwell and the theme is exactly the same.

Really a powerful book and highly recommended.

If I remember right Buk mentioned " Down and Out " in an interview as an inspiration for Factotum.

f I remember right Buk mentioned " Down and Out " in an interview as an inspiration for Factotum

Yes, I believe he mentioned "Down and Out" in some interview. It's a good book and so is "Homage to Catalonia", about Orwell's participation in the Spanish Civil War. That too, ranks among his finest work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back