Tom Russell - Tough Company (1 Viewer)

Tom Russell has published three books: A detective novel; a songwriting compendium of quotes with Sylvia Tyson, And then I Wrote: The Songwriter Speaks, (Arsenal-Pulp Press: Canada); and a book of letters with Charles Bukowski, *Tough Company.

Interesting

Tough Company is Tom Russell's first book of poetry and wild tales from the road. Out on that skid row frontier he met Charles Bukowski and exchanged some letters and interviews, also included in this terrific book--a great forward by Dave Alvin.

"Gunslinger of American terror and exultation. Tom Russell's boot heels clocked along a bitter highway. He was strumming a Mexican guitar, being blown by a hot wind. And where the highway intersected with Whiskey Alley, he found Charles Bukowski, spry as if the grave had never happened. How lucky we are that these two haunted wanderers have decided to sing us a duet. It has the beauty of an ancient freight train forgotten and full of coyotes out along the Rio Grande."

--Luis Alberto Urrea, author of The Devil's Highway.

"Tom Russell's latest ranks with Ian Tyson's Cowboyography as the best cowboy record of all time. Russell leans out over the edge, diving into the artistic, sentimental abyss. Every moment shines."

--Paul Zarzyski
Cowboy Poet and Winner of Cowboy Hall of Fame Western Heritage Award.

Previously unreleased material from Tom Russell and Charles Bukowski! Great words; great pictures! Large coffee-table book size!

I have this book and have only kind of skipped through it. it includes 6 letters from Bukowski to Russell from 1982-87. mostly about an interview that Russell sent to him. (Bukowski says in one of the letters that he cannot recall the interview, but if Russell liked the responces that he could print it..) also includes the written interview. the rest of the book is mostly Russells poetry and prose. and an interview of russell by someone. I guess that I can't really critic this book because I haven't really given it the time, but from a quick glance I can't say that it is all that impressive. kinda of seems like another person trying to capitalize on a remote relationship(?) with Bukowski. then again I could be wrong. Russells CD "Hotwalker" is kind of fun to listen to. He also recites "crucifix in a death hand" on one of his other CD'S and I think does a damn nice job with it.

a great forward by Dave Alvin.

"Tom Russell's latest ranks with Ian Tyson's Cowboyography as the best cowboy record of all time. Russell leans out over the edge, diving into the artistic, sentimental abyss. Every moment shines."

Interesting that Dave Alvin has a song on one of his own albums called "Burning in Water, Drowning in Flame".

And Tyson's Cowboyography is great. Song by Russell on it called "Navaho Rug".
bp

Navajo rug is by Jerry Jeff Walker, the guy who wrote Mr Bo Jangles.
Also, JJW sings the song on the album.

Well that's interesting. The Raw Visions CD by The Tom Russell Band 1984-1994 credits Navajo Rug to Russell and Tyson. Same title, different song no doubt. Unless they're the same song. Then the problems start. And the lawyers step in. And I head for the hills.
bp

Digney in Burnaby said:
Well that's interesting. The Raw Visions CD by The Tom Russell Band 1984-1994 credits Navajo Rug to Russell and Tyson. Same title, different song no doubt. Unless they're the same song. Then the problems start. And the lawyers step in. And I head for the hills.
bp

Checked the JJW site. Navajo (with a jay, not an aitch like some dunce Canuck would go for) Rug is credited to Russell/Tyson. No lawyers. Thank christ.
bp

bp

I stand corrected. JJW is not the author. Russell and Tyson are.

I'll be fucked.

Great song.

I've got it. the spiral special edition. its just ok, I'm a sucker for anything buk, but mostly its tom russell. haven't looked at it for a while, maybe I'll dig it out and take another peek.

It's probably a re-release. There are a few interviews -two or three, I think to recall- and a few letters. Nothing extraordinary. I had the impression the interviews were done by mail.

OK, I found it, copyright 2005,cirerita's right (of course) it's got six short letters from Bukowski to Tom Russel, and three interviews, their done by mail in '83, '84 and '91. Pretty much the usual questions, about twenty pages of Bukowski stuff, the rest of the book is Tom Russell. If your'e a B freak its probably worth the 14.60.

Tom Russell

anyone have this yet?
is it worth looking into?
I have not seen the book yet but
I love Tom Russell, i see him in Montreal once in a while, plays in a small cafe, generally accompanied with brilliant musicians such as Andrew Hardin.
I am familiar with his music. He mentions old LA and quotes Bukowski in his Lyrics.
Hotwalker is my favorite cd. Talks of Kerouac , Van Ronk, Lenny Bruce, little Jack Horton, Jeffers.
I'd say this is a must get. He is also a painter and designs all his covers.
Great guy.

Thanks 1 fsh2fsh
I have Indians Cowboys Horses Dogs,
Love and Fear,
Hotwalker,

Above all, I love his story telling. You are just there !

I'll add to the recommendations for Hotwalker. It's an amazing document of some very groovy people by Tom. Little Jack Horton is hilarious. Especially his story about him and Hank hijacking the freight train.

man, I just read that poem a few weeks(?) ago, thought about the connection when I read it. sure don't remember where though. its in one of the BSP books though:o... HS?

From the article . . .

"Hamlin: Please tell us about your new album Modern Art and how it felt to finally record your favorite Bukowski poem "Crucifix In A Deathhand" to your own arrangement. Have you performed the Bukowski piece live? What was the audience reaction like?"

Hmmm. I don't know. I don't even like reading my
stuff, although people say it adds something. I can't
really get into reading other people's stuff.

Maybe he was trying to bring an awareness of
Bukowski's work to people? Or have I read that
somewhere before?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe he was trying to bring an awareness of
Bukowski's work to people? Or have I read that
somewhere before?

really, russell does a great job with this poem, or at least I think so. but the question remains. is it art? :rolleyes:

Where's the horse?

horse.jpg

He's not dead?

That intro by Dave Alvin caught my eye. When the Blasters were just getting started, Dave Alvin was hanging out with a group of poets in Long Beach, did some readings, and was well aware of Bukowski. This was late 70s or maybe 1980? I read with him once or twice in Hollywood and/or L.A. -- very foggy memory -- one night we ended up at someone's apartment where he good naturedly suggested we bust up the furniture (he was just kidding). He's a great musician and songwriter. His post-Blasters albums are classics, and The Blasters are legendary. I'd like to read that intro.

I bought this recently. The intro by Dave Alvin was a surprise and really well written. And Russell's intro is really well written. Russell sent Buk questions by mail that were turned into interviews and they are pretty boring, mainly because of the questions Russell asked. It's still a good little chap for your collection. And I personally like Mr. Russell, even though others in the forum may not.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back