• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

Two Early Original Typescripts (Not Carbons) & Other Signed Items (1 Viewer)

Pogue Mahone

Officials say drugs may have played a part
I don’t post/pimp my stuff on the forum very frequently, but there’s an auction coming up that may interested some members.

The auction features two original typescripts that Bukowski wrote at his Mariposa address, at a time when he didn’t create carbons (meaning, these are the only typewritten pages in existence).

One of them is the famous long-poem “The Days Run Away Like Wild Horses Over the Hills”, which can be found in the manuscript database.

The second is an unpublished poem “My Yellow Dog and I” from the same period. I’ve passed this on to Hanna to add.

A link to the auction is below. I am also attaching two PDFs.

https://auctions.potterauctions.com/catalog.aspx?auctionid=1103

The first PDF contains three pages of the catalog that includes the typescripts along with some other early Bukowski items. The typescripts have beautiful custom-made boxes.

The second (which the forum should hold on to) is the story behind “The Days Run Away Like Wild Horses Over the Hills.”

The auction takes place on October 10 beginning at 8am PT.

Thanks buddies…

Attachments

• Buk_Items.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 243
  • buk2.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 170
I wrote it. Maybe I should have had a peer review here prior to sharing, but I wrote it very much in good faith. I can't do changes to the auction, but I if anyone has corrections, please note them.

What's the "Finding Charles Bukowski's Lost Horses"? I wasn't able to find it. Never mind, it was in the second attachment, wasn't it?

Have we seen that one-page note to E.V. before? It looks familiar.

Last edited:
I told the auction house that the hand-written letter was from a decade later when E.V. started up Hearse again -- specifically because he found "The Horses" in a file cabinet and it reinvigorated him. I wasn't trying to be shady.

I got that letter on a PBA auction when people were going way over the top for letters associated with Al Berlinski. When this one came up, there was an, uxpected, unexplained pause in the in bidding and I got it for $250 - not knowing what I'd ever do with it.

One more pausable faux pas: This wasn't supposed to be a dissertation, but if it was, there would have been plenty of footnotes that would reference Abel Debritto's excellent research.

The auction features two original typescripts that Bukowski wrote at his Mariposa address, at a time when he didn’t create carbons (meaning, these are the only typewritten pages in existence).

One of them is the famous long-poem “The Days Run Away Like Wild Horses Over the Hills”, which can be found in the manuscript database.

The second is an unpublished poem “My Yellow Dog and I” from the same period. I’ve passed this on to Hanna to add.
Was "My Yellow Dog and I" posted? Or can you add it?

It's going onto the manuscripts page eventually, but here it is.

yellow-dog.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back