U2 concert for BUK (1 Viewer)

(well somehow this belongs to the 'Video, audio, film and other media'-section, but only a little)

We know, there was a U2-concert, Buk visited with Linda and that Bono of U2 dedicated this concert to Him by anouncement to the audience.

According to 'The Captain' this concert musta been shortly before 11-6-92. So I looked online for the tour-dates and found two concert in the Dodger Stadium:

The 30th and the 31st of October 1992.

I also recall from an old Bono-interview, that during this concert they played 'Dirty Old Town' in dedication to Buk. If information I found online is reliable, they did that song on both dates, but on the 30th only in a short instrumental-version by Larry.

So, I'd assume it was 10-31-92, when Buk was at a U2-concert, that the band dedicated to him.

Does anybody of you think, there MIGHT be a bootleg of that concert somewhere?

"ZOOTV - Outside Broadcast" tour - october 31, 1992 - Los Angeles - CA - Dodger Stadium - The second night, Halloween, is also Larry's 31st birthday and the show has a festive mood. Many in the crowd are dressed in garish, loud costumes -- Bono joins in by wearing a "Nightmare On Elm Street" blade-glove. While flipping, Bono stops on the image of American horror mistress Elvira, who is the Mistress of the Night" from the nearby amusement park Magic Mountain. She congradulates Larry on his birthday and leads the crowd in singing "Happy Birthday". She also explains that she thinks she would make a good President because "the voters want two boobs in the White House, and they may as well be mine! I'd do anything to get elected!" At the B-stage, Larry thanks everyone for coming to his birthday party, and dedicates "Dirty Old Town" to all the young people in the audience. Support is B.P. Fallon, "The Sugarcubes", and "Public Enemy".

http://www.historyreginaonumb.globolog.com.br/archive_2006_11_03_6.html

http://www.u-2.ru/bootlegs

strange. this person doesn't even mention Buk on Any of the two dates.
But we know for sure, there WAS this public announcement by Bono.

("Then after a while, the leader said, 'This concert is dedicated to Linda and Charles Bukowski!' 25,000 people cheered as if they knew who we were. It is to laugh." ['The Captain', p133] - PLUS: I definitely DO recall it from one or two old interviews with Bono!)

o.k.,
here's something I just found:
"[...] album, 'Zooropa'. The record entered the UK and US charts at Number One and included the track 'Dirty Day,' dedicated to the late, legendary, American rock 'n' roll author, Charles Bukowski. [which everyone who has that album can confirm! -roni]

'Bukowski's an incredible character. He came to see us play. He said {adopts gravelly American accent), "I haven't been to a rock show since the early '70s", and Larry sang "Dirty Old Town" for him and dedicated it to him. And he is this 75-year-old hard-ass with tears in his eyes.

'He called me once to say that he was dying. It was in my house and it was 6am and it was a little bit loose. The next time he called he said (adopts accent), 'I'm in trouble. I've been fucking with Dr. Death and I think I'm going to lose come June'. And he did, he died, just after that.'
[...] "

source:
http://209.85.135.104/search?q=cach...dedicated+"old+town"&hl=de&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=de

Well, though the passage with the "tears" differs a little from Buk's tough-guy version in 'Captain', BOTH agree that there was this concert somehow related to Buk. - and I still wonder if there's a boot ...

ps:
yes, kids, I do know that Buk wasn't 75 when calling him! Jesus!

Buk had the lamest celebrity fans/friends...the only guy worthy of being on Born Into This was Tom Waits. Bono and Sean Penn can go pound sand...

Roni is trying to get the facts straight, Richard.

There are other "Born Into This" threads.

... Bono comes up to the microphone and he says: " Ladies and gentlemen, i want to dedicate this concert to Linda and Charles Bukowski! " I mean, my knees, they went. I never heard anything like this in my life. I almost fell down on the floor, and the whole Dodger Stadium - whether they`d ever heard of Charles Bukowski - it didn't matter they went wild with applause and cheers!

...and there was Jack Nicholson, with his pink sunglasses on. He winks and gives me the thumbs up. It was mindblowing. It was just like being in a crazy movie. It was unreal.

Linda Lee Bukowski in an interview in " Free Thought magazine " Vol. II, Issue I, Summer 2000

I was looking for bootleg from this concert but nobody from U2's fans in my country could help me.
But it's strange that we wanna to watch some gig only for one dedication at the beginning :)

What would be strange is if a bootleg did turn up and there was no dedication. This would have to go into the myths thread. ;)

There's only an audience bootleg recording from the October 30th, 1992 concert. I'm searching right now some links. I'll return here with news and hopefully with a link to an mp3 containing the dedication... :)

pichon64 said:
There's only an audience bootleg recording from the October 30th, 1992 concert. I'm searching right now some links. I'll return here with news and hopefully with a link to an mp3 containing the dedication... :)

Sorry, I was wrong... The concert I found is from October 31st. I hope is the right one. :o

I found the song (with the dedication by Larry Mullen Jr) and post a link to it on a new thread. Check it!

https://bukowskiforum.com/showthread.php?t=4220

I've got a great bootleg U2 CD
'Camelot Poems'
from Alien Records->
20 songs
'Recorded live at various Locations during their
'92 American Achtung Baby Shows.'

Lou Reed even makes an appearance
(Satellite of Love).

Will definitely relisten to it today...
Anyone want a copy?, pm me

... Bono comes up to the microphone and he says: " Ladies and gentlemen, i want to dedicate this concert to Linda and Charles Bukowski! "
I mean, my knees, they went. I never heard anything like this in my life. I almost
fell down on the floor, and the whole Dodger Stadium - whether they`d ever heard of Charles Bukowski -
it didn't matter they went wild with applause and cheers!

...and there was Jack Nicholson, with his pink sunglasses on. He winks and gives me the thumbs up. It was mindblowing. It was just like being in a crazy movie. It was unreal.

Linda Lee Bukowski in an interview in " Free Thought magazine " Vol. II, Issue I, Summer 2000

Well it seems Linda mixed some facts or is there another dedication mentioned
in the beginning of the gig ?
Anyway great find - thanks !

Last edited by a moderator:
man, i hate bono so much.

i think he's one of the biggest douches ever to be a douche and i take personal offense every single time i hear his name mentioned in the same breath as Charles Bukowski's.

i know that's completely off topic... or maybe not... or maybe just rude... but i couldn't keep my mouth shut anymore.

I understand you, vodka. Although I like U2's music, I completely agree Bono (and U2, of course) has nothing to do with Bukowski. I'll personally never understand his appearence on 'Born Into This', for example. But all this diggin' into this particular U2 concert was because of Linda's 1999 interview on the Free Thought magazine.

And Petey: I don't listen to the entire concert yet. I'll post any other Bukowski reference made in the concert if I find one.

Re: Bono --- I was not a fan of U2, but a friend of mine bought me a ticket to a show on the War tour, and I didn't want to see him waste his $12 or whatever it was, so I went along. It was at a small theater in Minneapolis, a few thousand people at most, and I have to say, it was fucking moving. I did not sense an ounce of insincerity or cynicism from the band. It was quite a thing to see.

Now, I'm still not a fan, but that experience makes me wonder if a lot of people didn't lionize that band a bit excessively. And, as the focal point of all that attention, what better way to diffuse the hero worship than to become the anti-savior. The sleazy media lizard. That will stop the adulation right quick.

Just speculating.

But I imagine that crown gets heavy. Ask any of the (dead) musical saviors.

Well, you can't ask them - they're dead - but you get my drift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back