Uncle Charley (1 Viewer)

Greetings,

To be honest, I can't for sure claim I am happy to be here! I have never claimed myself as a cult follower of anything and so many claim Buk as a cult to be followed. Well I am not a follower and I don't think the man himself would really want to be followed. I would like to see him pop up in here and post something...I wonder what he would think about this hoopla!

I actually don't like much of the man's writing, I can think of others and even better BUT...no one more than I can claim that I am grateful he wrote it.

I came into Buk via the movie Barfly, decades ago now. It was an instant replay from the get go. Shortly after this love affair I found the image of Buk and his woman companion, you know the one by the fridge...c'mon you all know the one! To this day I still don't know the story of this image and I don't really care either. What I care about is that I love the picture. I love this picture so much I have it in a frame in my home along side my other family pictures. You know the ones with the kids on family vacation 10 years ago and Grandpa Joe with his prize fish! So they have all asked a million times, "who is that?" and I have always replied, "oh, THAT, is Uncle Charley.

This image of the man, is familiar to me as all the other Uncle Charley's in my life and I have many of them. I can't claim I have many Aunty's that look like her, but many of my "Uncle Charley's" would often bring by such company and respectfully we made Aunty welcome into our home.

There is an eerie familiarity that goes with this image. Years later I framed the classic painting by Grant Wood titled American Gothic. You know the one with the husband and wife standing like scary statues and pitch fork in hand? The two together mixed in with my family vacation images, to this day makes me chuckle.

I am alone in my amusement. Oh well.

So the movie Barfly, Uncle Charley's picture and Bessie Smith is the final string. I love Bessie for every reason why I adore this man and now that I think about it, I should frame a picture of this old gal along side them.

Maybe I will.

I am not here either to learn facts of this man and I don't much care who knows more about him either, if he walked right foot heavy or ate Oh Henry's for breakfast...I don't give a shit about this stuff...

I give a shit about the fact that in here are claimed Bukowski cult fans! AND...just the thought that others get "it" ...is good enough.

So I am going to take another sip and bite the bullet and join in after lurking out as long as I did.

'You gotta earn your dues to play the blues...'

Cheers to all,

I have never claimed myself as a cult follower of anything and so many claim Buk as a cult to be followed. Well I am not a follower and I don't think the man himself would really want to be followed. I would like to see him pop up in here and post something...I wonder what he would think about this hoopla!

See here for more information about this cult.

I found the image of Buk and his woman companion, you know the one by the fridge...c'mon you all know the one!

Doesn't ring a bell, sorry.

You know the ones with the kids on family vacation 10 years ago and Grandpa Joe with his prize fish!

Yes, of course we all know those, and how is old Grandpa Joe these days? I guess the kids are all grown up now. Time flies, eh?

Welcome here Wonder !

Greetings,
I found the image of Buk and his woman companion, you know the one by the fridge...c'mon you all know the one!

Chronic, Wonder is certainly talking about that photo :

[snip]

Actually, that's not Buk's woman but Georgia Peckam-Krellner, the bestfriend of Pamela Miller (aka Cupcakes), this latter being one of Hank's numerous girlfriends.
Black Swan (a buk.net member I'm soon going to meet :D ) has made a beautiful painting of this photo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks kindly Ambreen for the welcome! YES, yes, yes...that is the picture!

"Cupcakes?" I love it, how Perfect!

Thanks for the hook up with such talent! Wow...Black Swan...I can't find your painting yet but if this avatar is any indication of your work, I do look forward to seeing more. Beautiful!

I actually don't like much of the man's writing...

I am not here either to learn facts of this man and I don't much care who knows more about him either... I don't give a shit about this stuff...

Gee. Erm. How's the weather there? It's quite warm here today, although its overcast at the same time. They say it will be an Indian summer.

I give a shit about the fact that in here are claimed Bukowski cult fans! AND...just the thought that others get "it" ...is good enough.

Listen everyone, we really need to get out more - we're sending out the wrong message.

Chronic, Wonder is certainly talking about that photo...

Ambreen - I guess chronic's sarcasm didn't translate that time.

To this day I still don't know the story of this image and I don't really care either...

Sorry Wonder, but Ambreen doesn't listen to anyone...

Actually, that's not Buk's woman but Georgia Peckam-Krellner, the bestfriend of Pamela Miller (aka Cupcakes), this latter being one of Hank's numerous girlfriends.

I am alone in my amusement.

We're all smiling, honest.

(sorry for all the quotes folks)

Sorry to have offended you so marina but that is my intro and if I come off as an ass hat at the top of it...I would ask you give me a chance, go a bit deeper and beyond one post. If by my 100th post, I still sound like an ass hat...well than...you can call me more names and I won't be offended.

C'mon...where's the love?

Yes hank solo, it was a bit of a spoiler with the image but if I really didn't want to know...this would be the last place to bring it up!

"We're all smiling, honest."...great to hear...me too than!

Cheers,

Sorry to have offended you so marina but that is my intro and if I come off as an ass hat at the top of it...I would ask you give me a chance, go a bit deeper and beyond one post. If by my 100th post, I still sound like an ass hat...well than...you can call me more names and I won't be offended.
C'mon...where's the love?

Deal.

But I otherwise reserve the right to toss around the term 'ass hat' freely because - well, let's face it - it's fun to say. :D

Well...
It was the morning, let's say I wasn't fully awaken !

That is if you want to buy buk scene #1, and that is going to cost you 1 euro per smiley.
So you're a venal woman ? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

10 smilies = 10 euros. You're rich !

Last edited by a moderator:
Professor Wonder;
As JACK MICHELINE used to say "Ezra POUND cake eats bananas in Borneo... Piss BOTTLE ants make nice plates... Arm Buffalo, NY."

Bill

There's a cult? Shit, why didn't anyone hand me a robe when I got here... I'm freezing my ass off and someone somewhere is handing out Bukowski Snuggies...

Excuse me for resurrecting this topic, but it's probably the funniest thread I've read at this forum so far and I just couldn't help it.
I think everyone should (re)read this thread and laugh their ass off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back