Upon Splitting With The Last Woman - Wormwood Review No. 132 - 1993 (1 Viewer)

mjp

Founding member
upon-splitting.jpg

Had to look up "lachrymose", never saw it before ... how common is that word in the English language?

Thanks for sharing!

I also know "Lacrimosa", like Mozarts Lacrimosa movement, but I only made that connection after I looked up "lachrymose".

I too feel like the older Bukowski sometimes liked to drop fancy words just for the hell of it, as tony walton said.

He did that sometimes in the very early poems too. Dropped in those words that would make you reach for the dictionary. When he was still trying to be a poet, before he became Bukowski. ;)

This poem is really talking to me and makes me laugh. I live on the 4th floor of an apt building and keep plants in the communal hallway a few steps below because there is a huge skylight there and the plants love it. They grow like crazy. Sometimes I think that I should sit there next to a pot and see what happens to me. Maybe something magic. I often water these plants in my pyjama pants when no one is watching and once my big toe got caught in the pant leg. I nearly went down tumbling but managed to catch the rail by letting go of the water jug. Now I often imagine how it would be if I went down rolling with the jug. In my mind I practice how to grab that rail in different ways depending on what I am carrying.

drop fancy words
I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere (an interview? a poem?) from later years, that he even used to keep a dictionary on his desk for the use of strange and unusual words now and then. Anybody remember where's that from?

and p.s.:
The most interesing thing about that poem (to me) is the revealing title and subtitle.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back