Vagabond: Vol. 1, No. 2 (1966): I Will Never Ride A Horse Along The Sands Of Normandy Or Against The Sides Of Your Brain, Lilac-Raining... (1 Viewer)

Pogue Mahone

Officials say drugs may have played a part
The actual full title is (There is a character count on the thread title):
I Will Never Ride A Horse Along The Sands Of Normandy Or Against The Sides Of Your Brain, Lilac-Raining Like It Is Tonight

The themes in this one are all too familiar and would be used many times after (and probably before) this one was published.

What I like about this poem is that Buk seems to be expressing more empathy than judgement. Maybe because it's still 1966. And maybe he's writing about Blazek (who is staying up late nights publishing his work) instead of Richmond or other "friends" that he ends up picking on in the coming years.

This one just feels very "real" to me, rather than a late-night rant about lazy poets whose parents pay the rent.

I'm hesitant to say this because I don't want to play the fool, but think it is one of his greatest poems.

If you don't, that's OK too. Just give it a read.

IMG_20180216_0002.jpg

IMG_20180216_0003.jpg

IMG_20180216_0004.jpg

IMG_20180216_0005.jpg

IMG_20180216_0006.jpg

IMG_20180216_0007.jpg

IMG_20180216_0001.jpg

Great poem, very interesting. I too think he talks about Blazek here, also about his co worker in the post office who found out that Bukowski was a writer. He writes about the "Van Goghs brother gave him free paint!" part several times, also in Post Office. Sounds like the dude really existed.

Title is odd, one of these early poetic Bukowski ones. But even odd for these :D

Also quite some international Vagabond issue. USA, Germany, England, Ireland ... Netherlands? Wow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back