• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

Wanting to buy. Notes of a dirty old man. First printing. City Lights. (1 Viewer)

Some advice would be much appreciated.

Im after a first printing of the second edition of Notes of a dirty old man (black and white photo cover City lights).

How can it be identified besides the $3 price stamp on the back cover?

Iv seen a copy with the usual "First city lights edition published: October, 1973" and $3 on the back cover but without any printing id.

My second printing has second printing under the First city lights edition published: October, 1973 line.

Iv had a good look here in the forums and google but couldn't find any definitive information.

Thanks for your time.

Hi everyone.

Im looking for a first printing of Notes of a dirty old man. City Lights.

Black and white photo version.

Not fussy. Even a reading copy will do.

Thanks. Any advice would be appreciated.

i got a fourth printing - jan 78 - (very) well read copy of it if you want it.

Hi d gray. Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the offer anyway. I have a second printing. Just after a first.
Im really just wanting advice on how it can be identified besides the $3 price stamp on the back cover?.
Iv seen a copy with the usual "First city lights edition published: October, 1973" and $3 on the back cover but without any printing id.
My second printing has second printing under the First city lights edition published: October, 1973 line.
Im very surprised no one has any idea considering the site.

Im very surprised no one has any idea considering the site.
Well, as you noted in your initial post, that's because a City Lights First Printing is not a First Edition (that was printed by Essex House in 1969). So the City Lights editions are essentially viewed as reprintings by collectors and hold very little cache, as it were. I've never given them any thought, to be honest and I've been collecting since 2004.

These prices are crazy…keep an eye on eBay, they pop up fairly often. 1st printing won’t have a number line.
Thanks very much. Yeah the second hand market for Buk has really shrunk over the last 15 yrs or so. I bought confessions of a man for 200 Australian about 15 yrs ago now its about 1200. Its not so much the prices for me as i cant buy super expensive books anyway its the lack of first print paperbacks that sucks.
Thanks for the advice on Notes of a...

Well, as you noted in your initial post, that's because a City Lights First Printing is not a First Edition (that was printed by Essex House in 1969). So the City Lights editions are essentially viewed as reprintings by collectors and hold very little cache, as it were. I've never given them any thought, to be honest and I've been collecting since 2004.
Yeah fully get what you are saying i just like that its got his photo and its published by city lights the home of the writing. I dont have the pockets to do any serious collecting and for some bizzare reason the Essex house never felt as authentic as the City lights to me. i know thats not logical. Iv got a couple of first print paperbacks and a copy of Confessions Of A Man Insane Enough To Live With Beasts but thats about it for value. All the others i just wanted to get original sparrow covers with that particular paper stock.
That was satisfying in itself.
Still with a site as comprehensive as this and members with a serious wealth of Buk knowledge i expected at least one person to know.
Anyway someone has offered a first print city lights so i might be about to find out.

I have a nice copy and can lower the price outside of ebay. Contact me if you're interested
Thanks very much for your response. Ill have a look at your link and message you.

Thanks iv had a look. It seams the first print is identified by the lack of a printing id under the top line of "First city lights edition published october 73. From the second print onwards it says "Second printing etc" under the top "First city lights" line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back