Who's Andre (1 Viewer)

In his short story "The Day We Talked about James Thurber", appearing in "Erections, Ejaculations and General Tales of Ordinary Madness", Bukowski mentions a French poet living in LA, called André.

Who's André?

This question may have been raised before but I'm new here and my reaserches on this subject lead me nowhere. I apologize, in case you've been through this before.

Thank you very much for your help.

'I want to teach karate...its all i want to DO!...'he said

I have listened to Bukowski read that poem several times.
Comic little piece...no idea who andre actually was or
what part he played in Bukowskis life...
I'm sure someone in here can shed some light

Andre was a student in Kansas. I am not sure if he went to Kansas State or KU. Andre was from Latvia and had a very thick accent( if you have heard a recording of "My Friend Andre", you can hear Bukowski attempt to replicate the accent). Andre would later get his Ph.D in theater and spent the majority of his life teaching theater in the Mid-West. He passed away in 2002. He was a hell of man with a great sense of humor.

In his short story "The Day We Talked about James Thurber", appearing in "Erections, Ejaculations and General Tales of Ordinary Madness", Bukowski mentions a French poet living in LA, called André.

Who's André?
"Andre" is Harold Norse. Bukowski made fun of him in several poems and stories.

I also always wondered who Andre was. I know Buk liked to poke fun at Harold Norse quite a bit but had no idea he was "Andre". How'd you figure this out David?

"Andre" lives near Venice Beach, makes a point of mentioning the great writers he has known, is gay, etc etc.--all true of Norse.
Bukowski used to visit Norse in Venice, so it all matches.

David already told you: the "great French poet who was living in Venice, California", the one from The Day We Talked About James Thurber*.
*a short story from The Most Beautiful Woman in Town

I would like to clear up exactly who"My friend Andre" from the poem is. He was my father in law. His name is actually spelled Andrejs and his last name is Sedriks. JB Tyson up there got it mostly correct. He was from Latvia and taught theatre. He knew Bukowski because when he lived in LA with his wife(these are my husband's parents), they looked him up in the phone book and showed up at his door with a bottle of wine and surprise, he let them in. I was looking for a recording or copy of the poem today to show his grandchild, my daughter, when I found this forum and felt the need to clear things up, especially since the one correct answer was crossed out. I have not read the story, so I do not know if it's also him, however he most certainly was not a homosexual, so that may clear things up? He did however, always want to teach karate. Thank you.

the one correct answer was crossed out.
There are two correct answers since there are two different Andres: one in a story (not your father in law) and one in a poem (presumably your father in law).
JB Tyson up there got it mostly correct...
Yes, but he got only one of Andres. And I don't see that anyone crossed that out.
I have not read the story, so I do not know if it's also him
It is not.

BTW, the person who started this thread was looking for Andre from the story.

Last edited:
There are two correct answers since there are two different Andres: one in a story (not your father in law) and one in a poem (presumably your father in law).
Wow..um, thanks for clearing up what were some MAJOR confusions on my part. For some reason the answer about my Father in Law was crossed out on my screen. And don't "presumably" me, sir, it's a fact. It would appear that you like to have and hand out all of the facts, so hold on to this one, it will make you sound smarter.

cool story, thanks for sharing!
Thank you for letting me share, there are other good family stories about Mr.Bukowski. The family has a killer collection of his, many first editions that are signed, I hate to admit it but that probably played a major role in my falling for my husband(some day to be ex).

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks a lot like a 1970s Buk...

andre-mug-sized.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back