Wormwood 46, 1972: Poetry, You Whore ; The Smoking Car; (1 Viewer)

poetry-you-whore.png

Yes, many thanks.
I've read the second one before though. Guess the first one is the uncollected one.
Though that one too rings a bell.
I liked the following line in the first poem:

[...] He is ashamed to brush it
away.

To me that is the center of the poem.
nice.

'poetry, you whore...' was collected as 'poetry'
in mockingbird wish me luck.
it's very close to the wormwood version, except
that the 1st and 8th line are cut from the book
version.

[...] the 1st and 8th line are cut from the book version.
it's interesting, that every now and then a pre-mortally published poem is (slightly) changed.
We should start to collect these too somewhere. Just to keep the record straight.

There are a lot of examples of complete lines being dropped. It seems more an error of transcription than purposeful editing to me, when I come across them.

still I think, we should collect them.
It's the proper thing to do, when we want to argue about certain things. To be able to make the comparison.

If we don't keep record of these, there's always a chance that somebody comes up, pointing to some examples, crying: "But here you see it - there are changes in pre-mortem works as well! They must be legit!" But when we have a full record (well, as complete as possible) of both kinds of 'changes', we can easily answer: "Yeah, but look, those changes are totally different in style than the other. It's a simple proof by demonstration."

I don't think those dropped lines are transcription errors. I think they are edits. No real reason, just feels that way to me.

I've read the second poem before -- maybe in Wormwood.

It would be good to collect the changes made while Bukowski was alive. They may be more subtle than the posthumous changes. Martin may have known he could get away with dropping a line here or there, but not wholesale rewriting and added material.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back