Wormwood Review (2 Viewers)

Would that be the first appearance of "For Jane?" One of his best, I think. You're right, mjp, that's a very scarce and important item.

It is the first appearance of "For Jane," (most of the wormwood appearances were firsts) but not Bukowski's first appearance in wormwood. That was #7.

I wonder what a full run of wormwoods would set you back these days...

There are really none to be found (Full runs). #1 & #2 are nearly impossible to find. The only copies of those are reprints (edition of 27) that Marvin did. Figure that there were at least 110 actual isues (145 numbers, but some were double issues), and figure between $10 and $75 each. If you could find them at even $10 a piece, you are looking at $1100 for a run, although in reality a full run would probably set you back $3k - $5k.

I have a complete set and it is one of those things that took me years to get and something that I would never part with.

Bill

There was a full run on eBay a few years back, but I don't remember what it went for. I seem to recall it was closer to $1200 or so than $3k - $5k, but I'm sure that your number is pretty close to what a set could fetch these days. Difficult to put together piece by piece, for sure.

Are your #1 and #2 original or the reprints?

reprints.... I know that #1 & #2 were so rare even in the 60's that Wormie put out an offer to buy any copies out there even back then. Not only were they probably gobbled up by the universities, but I suspect that not all 500 were printed or kept. That was before Marvin was the editor. He started with issue #3.

I would love to have an original of #1 or #2, but will live with having my 1/27 reprints on those....

Bill

p.s. Of course, it is also possible that a cashe of the originals will show up some day. Probably straight from one of the original 1st two editors or their families...

Issue #1 Morton Felix, Jim Scully & Alexander Taylor
Issue #2 Morton Felix & Alexander Taylor
Issue #3 Alexander Taylor & Marvin Malone

I believe that after issue #3 or #4, it was all Marvin Malone....

Also, issue #1 & #2 were letterpress printed.....

Bill

Thx for all the Wormie info, Bill. I love that stuff. I've never seen the first two issue and had no idea that they were letterpressed.

I believe there's a complete run up in SUNY Buffalo and there may be one or two complete runs that are still in the family -- in absolute flawless, unread condition. Of course, they will not peel off the first two issues for seperate purchase so if you want those, you'd have to make a pretty generous offer for the entire run.

Hi,
I did not know that the first two were leterpressed either until I read the note from Marvin printed on the inside of the 1/30 edition (not 1/27 as I thought).

Christa Malone probably has one complete run with the original first two as a family set. I doubt that she has any of #1 or #2 outside of that. Also, I agree that she would not sell an original of #1 & #2 if she had a copy unless it was with a full run (I can't say that I blame her one bit.)

On a side note (and of possible interest to collectors), there are some issues of Wormie that are REALLY tough to find. There is no explaining it, really as they seem to be normal issues with the same writers in them, as in earlier issues. Nothing about these specific issues seems to stand out to make them rare (no 1st published poem of Billy Collins, etc.) I always thought that it was a case of one of the poets buying up a bunch of the issue for friends, etc.

Best,
Bill

Someone around here must have bought the run of the first 31 issues that was on ABE. I asked the guy whether 1 & 2 were original and he said, "I am sorry to inform you but I sold the set of 31 separate issues of the Wormwood Review Yesterday; Before I received your e-mail."

He was asking $500 for 1-31.

Someone around here must have bought the run of the first 31 issues that was on ABE. I asked the guy whether 1 & 2 were original and he said, "I am sorry to inform you but I sold the set of 31 separate issues of the Wormwood Review Yesterday; Before I received your e-mail."

He was asking $500 for 1-31.

Not a bad price at all.

Issue #1 Morton Felix, Jim Scully & Alexander Taylor
Issue #2 Morton Felix & Alexander Taylor
Issue #3 Alexander Taylor & Marvin Malone

I believe that after issue #3 or #4, it was all Marvin Malone....

Also, issue #1 & #2 were letterpress printed.....

Bill

here's some info about that from a piece written by Malone in 1970:

Attachments

• WR.pdf
    647.5 KB · Views: 404
Yes, they can be hard to come by...

Bill Gainer - R.L. Crow Publications here. We were privileged to publish Ann Menebroker's 2004 book, "tiny teeth, the wormwood review poems."

During the process of putting Menebroker's book together, we did considerable research on The Wormwood Review, became friendly with Christa Malone, and were able to come in contact with many helpful people associated with Marvin Malone and the Wormwood Review.

We have a complete collection of the Wormwood Review. Our collection consists of both the original and the signed reprint copies of issues one and two. We also have the original printing of issue three and a copy of the March 19, 2000 re-release of the signed completion of the 81 sets of papers for issue 3. Our total collection consists of new condition and read examples. We have numerous duplicate copies and continue to collect.

We agree with Bill Robert's assessment of the difficulty in locating various issues and the unexplained rarity of others. It should be remembered that numerous issues are actually stand-alone chapbooks authored by a single writer and other issues have special center sections dedicated to single writers. These two things can drive the price of specific issues to outrageous extremes.

We continue to treasure our collection and find it a valuable resource of both poetry and friends made of those who, like us - love the Wormwood Review.

"We also have the original printing of issue three and a copy of the March 19, 2000 re-release of the signed completion of the 81 sets of papers for issue 3"

I haven't heard about that 2000 rerelease of the signed completion...etc. What's that about?

Number three was originally printed in a run of 500, with heavy stock saddle stitched covers. At the time they didn't print enough covers to complete the full 500 run. In 2000, facsimile covers were Xeroxed and hand wrapped around the remaining original 81 sets of text pages. I am assuming there was a reasonable amount of requests for the additional copies and that there were funds available to complete the job. Remember, the Wormwood was run on an economic shoestring and that the cost of production, more often than not, came out of Malone's pocket.

Hi, it's Christa Malone. If anyone ever has questions about the Wormwood Review, I'm more than happy to answer them. You can contact me directly at [email protected]. I have meant to put Wormwood information online, just haven't had the time or savvy to create a website yet.

Regarding issues of Wormie, I can only make one more complete run of original issues--preferably a patron run, which would include copies of the poet-signed chapbooks--but most individual issues are still available. I only have a handful of Bukowski chapbooks left, but I just finished collating the last original pages of issue #16, Bukowski's first center section "Grip the Walls," so I have a few extra copies. (Most of the issues before #30 were collated on the family ping-pong table on an as-needed basis. After #30, all collating and stapling was done by the printer.)

I have two complete runs of WR: my own copy and my mother's. SUNY Buffalo also has a complete run, do a few other university libraries.

As someone mentioned, there are individual issues that are very scarce--such as 59, 92, 105, 138, and 143--either because the contributors themselves bought most of the copies or because there was damage to the issue (#138 is Billy Jones's yellow sunflower cover, which suffered from moisture damage and discoloration from the staples).

Anyway, as I mentioned, all questions and inquiries welcomed. Thanks for helping to keep the interest in Wormwood going.

Welcome to Bukowski.net Christa :)

Amazed to hear you still have issues left! Sure you'll get lots of interest here.

Well let me put it this way - you have email!

Hi Christa. I might be able to help with the website idea if you're interested. I have a Bukowski related site at http://www.collectingbukowski.com and always felt that the Wormwood Review deserved its own site, but since I only have a few issues it didn't seem like I had the resources to pull it off. Maybe we could collaborate on this?

You can send me a PM if you think you might be interested.

Oh... and welcome to the forum.

Hi,
I meant to set up a website for Christa and Wormie, but got SO crazy here and was in over my head on the whole website thing. Chronic built my current site and is a master.

Bill

Welcome indeed, Christa. I've bought a fair bit of Buk stuff over the past three years, but the last six months have been almost exclusively devoted to the procurement of Wormwood Review issues. Just a fantastic set of publications.

Alas, my wife and I just bought a house, so getting more right now may be tough. But it's great to know that you are out there and some still exist in the mint state.

Also, I have issues 92, 105, and 138; so I must be doing something right.

Hi Christa! Welcome. It's good to see you here! There are some nice people here, and they are huge fans of your father's work.

Hi Christa! It's Mark Begley here. Glad to see you on the forum.
A Wormie website would be awesome, but quite an undertaking I'm sure.
I must say I'm the proud owner of a (nearly) complete set of WRs. I think I have every issue (need to double check) but the first five or so are photocopies. And of course the only reason I have a set is because of you. :) Kind of glad to know #138 is rare, as that was my first appearance in WR. :D
Hope all is well.

What a terrific site! Surprised I didn't know about it earlier. And thanks to all for your kind words about my father and Wormwood. He would have appreciated them.

Christa, here's a question for you. Did any issues of Wormwood ever have photographs in them? I can't recall having seen one, but I haven't looked at all issues. Marvin used drawings very sparingly, I know. Did he generally dislike the use of photographs in literary magazines, or was he interested in preserving as much space for poetry as possible? Any thoughts on that?

Christa, here's a question for you. Did any issues of Wormwood ever have photographs in them? I can't recall having seen one, but I haven't looked at all issues. Marvin used drawings very sparingly, I know. Did he generally dislike the use of photographs in literary magazines, or was he interested in preserving as much space for poetry as possible? Any thoughts on that?

Nope, no photos in Wormwood. The only one that appeared was the photo of my father that I put in the last issue. The earliest issues had a fair amount of graphic design in them, but there was an issue with #3 (the issue for which not enough covers were printed, and there were various designs for that cover). Evidently, my father and Alexander "Sandy" Taylor (now the founder of Curbstone Press) felt that the art overshadowed the poetry, and from then on, most graphic material was relegated to the cover with an ornament on the first page. There are exceptions, though, such as when drawings complemented the poetry, notably Bukowski's drawings and Rody Stains drawings for Phil Weidman's Backtrack chap.

I don't think my father had an aversion to photos. It's just that Wormie was cheaply produced in black and white, and line drawings are a natural fit for that format. He loved graphic design and collage. I don't think he wanted to deal with making halftones of photos.

But here's a dirty little secret: Most of the time, my father created the covers himself. But every once in a while, he used sections of artwork by other artists which he himself owned, including drawings by Virgil Finlay, Jules Pfeiffer, Edward Gorey, and Steinberg. I don't think he realized that that wan't kosher, much less legal. But those images made some great covers.

Originally I thought the Feiffer and Steinberg covers were solicited by your dad, but I recall him telling me once they were from his "collections." I always wondered how he got away with using them! Guess no one noticed or cared. :)

Like many people, I'm sure my father thought that since he outright owned the artwork, he could reproduce it, use it for his own purposes. I'm sure he didn't know that he was doing anything wrong at the time. But having been in publishing for many years, I know that copyright law doesn't work that way. Copyright remains with the artist. Likewise, most people think that if they receive letters from someone else, like Bukowski, that they can publicly reproduce those letters. Wrong. Permission from the sender or heir is required.

People were generally far less conscious of copyright back in the 60s - 70s. There was wholesale infringement in the small press and underground newspapers. It's not like the editors were consciously pirating stuff -- they just didn't think about it. Blame it on the freewheeling times. Recently I saw a new book with a statement on the copyright page saying it was okay to photocopy x number of pages strictly for personal use, but you must send a $10 base fee plus so many cents per page to some copyright payments clearinghouse. Yeah, like that's going to happen. Unless they program all the Xerox machines to digitally rat you out.

Thanks for explaining about why Marvin Malone didn't use photos in Wormwood, Christa. Cheap halftone photos do look crappy. Makes sense.

Can anyone here point me to any Bukowski poems, quotes, articles, letters etc on the subject of Marvin Malone and/or Wormwood?

Hope it helps:

Basinski, Michael. "A Preface to The Wormwood Review, Marvin Malone and Gerald Locklin." St. Vitus Press & Poetry Review 6 (Fall 2005): n. pag.

Dalton, Brian. "Marvin Malone's Wormwood Review." Beat Scene, Charles Bukowski Special issue (Mar. 2004): 46-47.

Malone, Marvin. "Bukowski Comes to Wormwood." Glazier, All's Normal Here 14-16.
"”. "Charles de Gaulle and The Wormwood Review." California Librarian Oct. 1970: 230-35.
"”. "The Why and Wherefore of Wormwood." Kruchkow and Johnson 223-231.

Last edited by a moderator:
but what I really need is something written by Bukowski on the subject of MM or WR.
In the letters?
Oh, sorry, you already mention letters.
Some of us know Buk's letters so well,
bukfan for instance?
And cirerita of course...

I don't recall any piece by B about MM or WR, though B did always talk about MM in laudatory terms in his correspondence. If you're interested in that, I could try to find the few excerpts I used in the thesis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back