Wow (2 Viewers)

mjp

Founding member
Most users ever online was 673, 06-27-2007 at 12:13 PM.

What the fuck?

June, July and August are traditionally the slowest months on the world wide interwebs, but for some reason we're just beginning to peak. Who says people don't read anymore.

I would say that was some sort of bug, or at least that's what it seems to me. I was watching closely the number of users online -because it was unusually high for July, as you said- and we were in the 200-240 region, I think. All of a sudden, it jumped to 673 users... Of course, it might be real, but I suspect it was a bug.

The number of users online at any given time has increased quite a bit in the past few months, and I don't see anything in the server logs to indicate any glitches, so the 600+ seems feasible. If it is topped in the next couple months, then we'll know for sure.

we could try to make a date (for some reason I'm thinking of August 16th), where as many members are supposed to be online at One time.
Maybe when 1000+ people all over the world are here at the same time, His spirit appears! (but then - does the form wane? .-))

The form may wane if the spirit appears, yes. In addition to a lot of atheists converting...

Most visitors are not registered users, so who knows, maybe we could hit 1,000 if there is some big mention somewhere. A couple hundred online at one time is a pretty big deal by itself. Nothing to sneeze at, as the kids say.

I don't know about other countries, but here in Finland, when you go to a book store at summer asking for Buk, the usual answer is : "All sold out"
People read Bukowski in parks. They read it out loud.

Most users ever online was 673, 06-27-2007 at 12:13 PM.

What the fuck?
According to some forum admin forums (yes, there are such things, and yes, they are as dull as you imagine they are), Yahoo unleashed billions of spider bots on the 26th and 27th, so it was probably just those bots kicking up the total.

I enabled a little feature to make the bots show up in "who's online" now. So if it shoots up to a million suddenly, we'll know who to blame. ;)

100+ online at once usually now though, and that's still pretty amazing.

100+ online at once usually now though, and that's still pretty amazing.

yeh, the cats starting to realize now, THIS is the place to be!

I'm still thinking of an experiment like they tried in China to make all people jump at the same time to look if this causes an earthquake - which of course didn't work, b/c it was an 'urban legend'.
But imagine: a thousand cats ALL over the world, saying "Haaaank" (instead of "Oooom") - what a brilliant joke! What FORCE this could unveil...

roni, i think you've had a few too many glasses of pernod...

i've been noticing for awhile now that whenever i come a-lurking round these parts, there's always more than a hundred other people doing the same thing.

roni, i think you've had a few too many glasses of pernod...
Lovely, you sure Got me!
- though my amount of Pernod today wasn't worth mentioning (exactly ONE)
- but White Wine and Vodka is...

...and I still am working on my survival ... - tonight ...

i hope the vodka and white wine are being drunk out of two separate glasses!

shouldn't you be saving your drinking for sunday night?

Slurp spider is very busy at the moment. Just a few guests online....about 15. And 1 google spider, 2 msn spiders, and 4 or 5 members.

i hope the vodka and white wine are being drunk out of two separate glasses!
shouldn't you be saving your drinking for sunday night?

The wine was at my cafe - so it was glasses. Then, home, the vodka came out of the bottle. Sunday is still far and I never saved anything. (that's part of the problem.)

Thank you, my lovely, for making me a supporting member!
Yes, all world should know: ruby made me the very coolest birthday-present ever and brought me into this exquisite club of the chosen ones!
xoxo ruby!

awww... it was but a little token of my appreciation for your friendship! and also a thankyou to mjp for helping me organise it on time (our mod is a champ).

ok, now let's go have a smoke :p

Since that number was nothing but search engine spiders, and I've since added code to the site to prevent hundreds of them from descending on us at once, I changed the "most users online" to 99, which, if memory serves me, was a legit number.

But I will say "wow!" about recently hitting 20,000 posts. Who'd a thunk it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back