Writers you've discovered through Buk (2 Viewers)

Bukowski's lead me to many great writers, be it through his own writing about other writers or friends of mine who dig his stuff and drop new books on me. I start this thread partly to share my own discoveries, but mostly looking for new writers that I can check out.

Celine I found a little boring. I got 50 or so pages into Journey Into Night and put it down. I still own it, because I've always meant to come back to it and give 'er a second try. Anybody want to encourage me?

John Fante, I fucking adore. I've tracked down all of his books I'm aware were published, and my favorites are Brotherhood of the Grape and Full of Life. I love the wild, mercurial voice he captures, the power of life to invigorate even when it's painful.

Harry Crews was a recommendation from a friend when we were talking about Ham on Rye. He suggested I try out Feast of Snakes, which is an amazing book, though my favorites of his are the novel All We Need of Hell and A Childhood: The Biography of a Place, which is about his growing up on a sharecropping farm in south Georgia. Crews is a top-five writer for me, always entertaining if not always as piercing as I know he's capable. Maybe my favorite thing about Crews is that he's a tough guy nerd, a rugged redneck who always loved reading, a natural citizen of no land, stuck somewhere between The Intellectuals and The Viscerals. He treads this ground with confusion and passion, and he speaks with an assured and sharp voice even when he admits he's talking out of his ass.

Then there's Hubert Selby, Jr, again a suggestion from a fellow Buk fan. Maybe my favorite writer, if not the guy whose books I pick up the most often. Certainly the one writer who has affected the way I live my life the most. Selby approaches the old maxim, "Pain is the greatest teacher," from an unusual avenue. His characters rarely learn, obsessed as they tend to be with pleasure and ego. But they suffer like hell. And they're usually fairly unlikable people. But his writing is so visceral, the suffering of his characters so acute and intense and instinctive, I can't separate myself from them as a reader. I shudder with every punch and cry along with every tear; personalities I'd have cast aside or condemned before coming across them in Selby's work I learn through the literary mirage of shared suffering to love. Requiem for a Dream, made into a decent movie by Darren Aronofsky, is the only book I've ever had to actually put down, because I was so gutturally disturbed by a character's experience. His body of work is small, but consistently strong. My other favorites are Last Exit to Brooklyn and The Demon.

Who's next? I only typed this all up in the name of fair play - somebody's gotta start - but I'm excited to discover some new authors.

Thanks for the link, Emku, but I'm looking for a broader discussion; not just recommendations from Buk himself, from from his fans on this board who've read and enjoyed stuff beyond his work.

I met Harold Norse in a bookstore here in San Francisco several years ago. He struck me as, overall, a pain in the ass, though I gifted him a book by Steven Jesse Bernstein (the introduction to a book by whom introduced me to Bukowski) just to get the man's work seen by a "known" author.

Bernstein is an interesting guy. Did you know him? I have some friends that had read with him in the 90's.

For anyone interested in an amazing listen, pick up his CD "Prison" that was released after his death. It was available on Sub Pop and is almost certainly available somewhere.

Best,
Bill

Patchen's gone, we need you, man,
we all need you for that
good feeling just above the
belly button-
knowing that you are there in some small room in
northern California writing poems and
killing flies with a torn
flyswatter.

from "come on in!" new poems 2006 -charles bukowski

On a side note about Stephen Jesse Bernstein: He was a tortured man who spent time in prison and mental institutions. He was friends with Burroughs. He committed suicide by stabbing himself in the throat three times with a knife.

Sounds like "The Most Beautiful Woman In Town" by Bukowski (she did it with a broken bottle).

Really. Pick up the CD and listen to "the Face" and see if you do not feel for him.

Bill

John Fante would be the only writer straight from Bukowski. And through John Fante his son Dan.

I'm reading Mooch at the moment. Dan Fante's a great writer. If anyone is interested they should get his book of short stories Corksucker (I think it might be called Short Dog in America?).

Also, check out the brutalists (Ben Myers, Tony O'Neill, Adelle Stripe). They're a little group of writers in the UK who've written some pretty great stuff. Tony O'Neill's Digging the Vein and Myers' Book of Fuck are a couple of amazing novels. www.myspace.com/brutalists

The Discovery Thread

Bukowski's lead me to many great writers, be it through his own writing about other writers or friends of mine who dig his stuff and drop new books on me. I start this thread partly to share my own discoveries, but mostly looking for new writers that I can check out.

I discovered Father Luke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back