WTF? (2 Viewers)

1fsh2fsh

I think that I think too much
Founding member
SO... WTF? I'm sure that at least a few of you saw this on E-Bay... yeah, well I bit.... an X library book. I cant seem to get the pix of the sig page or another of a red "withdrawn" stamp on the title page to reduce in size so I can attach them, but have any of you seen this before? I'm 100% sure that this is a signed and numbered book (maybe all Dorbins were?) the rest of these stamps baffle me. any insight?

Picture 001.jpg Picture 002.jpg

Whoa; Library of Congress copy. We're talking halls of Washington, DC, Sir 1fsh2fsh. Nice!

Did you buy this? Of all library copies, I would think that this might actually be a nice little add to the value, or at least not as much of a depreciation as other library copies.

I take it you're waiting for this. Please post any pics of the sig, colophon or title page when you get it. From what I've seen, Dorbin is a nice little book.

I'd be diggin' a copy like that! Ex-lib ain't so great, but Library of Congress? Gerald Ford probably spunked on it! (And then dropped it and tripped over it.)

Gerald Ford may have spunked on this? damn man, now I feel kind of yucky holding it...yeah, I have it. (super fast delivery) got it on e-bay last week sometime. just kind of bit the bullet and took a chance. its a book that I have been wanting for quite some time now.I wasn't sure what exactly that I was bidding on as the listing mentioned the "duplicate copy". I just figured that a "Dorbins" for $72 on a BIN was worth taking a chance on. anyway I'm pleased. I can't seem to upload the scans of the title page or sig for some reason but will keep trying..

Yeah, bargain for sure. In other words, I'd have paid $125 for it. No idea if it's really worth that, but it's a strange beast. Bill? mjp? chronic? ROC? All you other collectors?

Most importantly: What does the binding smell like?

This book was also for loan at the " Alexander Mack Memorial Library, Bridgewater, Virginia" its got a couple of typical library stamps and the card holder has been removed from inside the back cover. so I don't know about the extra value. I don't care. I just wanted a copy of this book. and I'm a cheap bastard. the sig is great! signed with the old skippy ball point pen. really indented into the page, man, you can feel it!!
Most importantly: What does the binding smell like?
A cheap tramp, baby.

I'm guessing that its being a LOC book neither adds to nor detracts from the value. It is a rare book. Definitely a point of interest though.

Does the binding smell like Gerald Ford's scrotum?

When you publish a book these days and use a Library of Congress control number you have to send them a copy of the "best edition" (I had to send them a hardcover of my last book so I cheated a bit and sent them a hardcover proof rather than a signed, illustrated copy).

It looks like there was a similar rule for copyright in the late 60's. I have never paid the fees to copyright a book (copyright rules have changed and you don't necessarily have to file with - or pay fees to - the Copyright Office to claim copyright anymore), so I'm not sure.

In any event the LOC had it because the publisher sent it to them. Looks like he sent them more than one if that one was a duplicate. I've never seen a book that was deaccessioned from the LOC, that's a first.

I just figured that a "Dorbins" for $72 on a BIN was worth taking a chance on.
You were right.

I'm sure that at least a few of you saw this on E-Bay...
Not me. If I had, you wouldn't be holding it right now. ;)

This copy is missing some pages (which is probably why it is a "duplicate copy"). Contact me with the missing page numbers and I'll scan them for you so that you have al of the info.

Bill

thanks bill, I will do that as soon as I get a chance to.
I'm sure that at least a few of you saw this on E-Bay...
Not me. If I had, you wouldn't be holding it right now.
Didn't I already lose one of these to you a couple of years ago?...sheez.....

That book was on Abebooks for a while. He listed it in such a way that I thought there might be a drawing by B, and I asked him about that. There was obviously no drawing, and he was careful enough to say so in the eBay listing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back