Wyndham Lewis (2 Viewers)

Has anyone read Wyndham Lewis? I found a used copy of The Vulgar Streak over the holiday. It was published by Black Sparrow. Apparently he was better known for painting rather than writing but it seems worth investigating. Anyone?

i tried wyndham lewis when i was in grad school, because he really fit in with what i was studying, and my advisor recommended i read his books. i couldn't get past the third page of any of them. i suppose i never gave him quite a chance, but i really found his writing to be next to unreadable, and i have a pretty high threshold for stilted, overly decorative language. his "blast" and "enemy" journals are pretty interesting (also published by bsp), but beyond that, i've never liked him.

Thanks Jordan. I am gonna give him a go. I will check out his journals as well. Was all of his stuff published by BSP? Who else has been that would be worth sinking rotten teeth into?

hobart said:
Was all of his stuff published by BSP? Who else has been that would be worth sinking rotten teeth into?

nevermind, i just searched the catalog. but your authors to try would be nice.

i like john yau a lot. hawaiian cowboys is really good, and i'm looking forward to reading "my symptoms". have you tried fante? he's good too. (some might say "really good" or even "amazingly good.") weep not my wanton by maggie dubris is fantastic, and i also like the "thus spake the corpse" readers.

Thanks a lot man. I have read the elder Fante. I will look into the others. Again thanks, it is always nice to get suggestions from others instead of from bestseller lists. Cheers.

it is always nice to get suggestions from others instead of from bestseller lists.

Been H E R E ?

How about H E R E ?

sign0100.gif

Father Luke ... thank you sir. I appreciate you responding to a post of mine. I will check out the links you supplied. Again, thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back