You Kissed Lilly (1 Viewer)

On the new ecco editions, the list of Buk's books has been reduced, but includes "You Kissed Lilly" (1978). According to the book this is available from ecco, but I can't find it. What is it and is it available?

Thanks,
G.

That is a typo from Ecco. They have not reprinted it, although it is included in South of No North....

Just someone at Ecco not paying attention.

Bill

I'm guessing that's a mistake. It's a small short story chapbook that came out as a BSP hardcover in a dust jacket. I don't think there was a paperback version. I doubt Ecco would mess with something that small, and the story is likely collected elsewhere. It would be cool to buy a copy even as an Ecco reissue.

Thanks, pity. Ecco could make a few quid re-releasing any small publications that haven't seen the light of day, along the lines of "There's No Business" and "Bring me Your Love". It would give them something else to do after exhausting his pile of posthumous paper.

G.

I'm guessing that's a mistake. It's a small short story chapbook that came out as a BSP hardcover in a dust jacket. I don't think there was a paperback version. I doubt Ecco would mess with something that small, and the story is likely collected elsewhere. It would be cool to buy a copy even as an Ecco reissue.

I recently picked up a very nice copy of You Kissed Lilly on ebay. There were 200 hardcover copies numbered and signed by Buk (well, signed; not numbered by him), and 75 copies numbered, signed, hand-bound in boards by Earle Gray with hand-colored covers by Buk that are also signed on the cover. The second signature is, interestingly, above the Black Sparrow on the coliphon, which to me is unusual (or perhaps not for that era; any thoughts?).

I have copy #10 of 75. Of course, if you check Krumhansl, there were several other copies of both for Buk, the printer, publisher, file etc.

My copy has both a paper and acetate dust jacket; the signed only copies, IIRC, have only the acetate.

Obviously, ecco has not touched this, and there were no copies in wraps. But, I agree that ecco should re-produce some of these titles just so we can have access to some of this stuff as it was originally intended.

As an add-on, several of the later-edition paperbacks that I bought from BSP in the 1980s and early 1990s list You Kissed Lilly in their publication list, even thought there were several other volumes of similar publication that were not "regular issue" and were not listed.

Before the internet was around, I searched around for this title at book stores, and they all told me: "That title doesn't exist." I never thought I'd own one.

Well corrected, Chronic. I think that the signed only copies do not have the acetate DJ. Perhaps I'm wrong again.

Is that your site? It really is a nice compilation. I know some member here administers that site.

I'm not sure if the regular copies had an acetate jacket. Mine does, but it's light-weight compared to BSPs usual heavy acetate. Probably homemade by a previous owner.

Yep, I put the site together. If you have anything you can contribute let me know. I'm a little behind on updating it but hoping to get caught up soon.

I've only seen and held one copy of YOU KISSED LILLY. A friend who was a huge Buk collector (and out of control gambler -- he met Hank at the track a few times) had it. I recall a Bukowski drawing on the cover, maybe silkscreened? Anyway, small and colorful.

Ecco should release a line of Bukowski's early chapbooks with the same general size and format and art as the originals, just the publisher and date different. They coluld sell them for $5 a piece and flood the Borders stores with millions of them. The things would sell like crazy, I bet, to all the Bukowski addicts who will never be able to afford the first editions.

Ecco should release a line of Bukowski's early chapbooks with the same general size and format and art as the originals, just the publisher and date different.
Facsimile editions of the old chapbooks would be great. Ecco would never do it, but I'll bet as a limited edition project someone could get permission to do it.

But yeah, there would have to be a line somewhere to identify them as facsimiles, or a lot of people could get ripped off.

"Why are there 16 copies of Cold Dogs in the Courtyard on eBay?" Ha.

I'm not sure if the regular copies had an acetate jacket. Mine does, but it's light-weight compared to BSPs usual heavy acetate. Probably homemade by a previous owner.

Yep, I put the site together. If you have anything you can contribute let me know. I'm a little behind on updating it but hoping to get caught up soon.

My copy of "Lilly" has a similar, light-weight jacket in addition to the paper; as does my copy of Scarlet (plastic only). These were put out in 1978 and 1976, respectively. Perhaps the type of acetate available on the newer books wasn't available back then. My "Dangling" from 1981 has the newer type. Krumhansl says nothing about plastic dust jackets, so it's hard to know.

My cover coloring is substantially different from the version you have up on your site. The one you have has extensive coloring in the picture, but very little in the title letters. On the other hand, my copy has extensive coloring in the title letters, and modest coloring in the picture. I'll see if I can scan mine in and send it sometime; in this case, it might be nice to have a few examples of the same book that look different.

I've only seen and held one copy of YOU KISSED LILLY. A friend who was a huge Buk collector (and out of control gambler -- he met Hank at the track a few times) had it. I recall a Bukowski drawing on the cover, maybe silkscreened? Anyway, small and colorful.

The cover and interior drawings were all reproduced in black. For 40 of the copies, Buk hand-colored the cover and signed it there and on the colophon.

My cover coloring is substantially different from the version you have up on your site. The one you have has extensive coloring in the picture, but very little in the title letters. On the other hand, my copy has extensive coloring in the title letters, and modest coloring in the picture.

That's my copy on chronics (great) site.
There is little colouring in the letters because Buk has used them to write a message within the title.
Given the amount I have spent on his books it's quite apt, dontchathink?

YOU IS ILL (!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back