YouTube Video - One for the Shoeshine Man (1 Viewer)

Hello, this is my first post on this forum, I've made a video for Bukowski's, one for the shoeshine man on youtube. I thought some of you might be interested.

thats the link.

I want to do a few more, I've got a lot of his recordings and I've narrowed it down to:

Trouble,
The strongest of the strange,
and
advice to young men. (that might be friendly advice to young men, I think.)

I think these would all make good videos, are there any that you would like to see a video of? I might not have heard of them. There are loads of Dinosauria and the genius of the crowd, so I'm definatly not doing then.

anyway I hope that you like the video, and I hope that no one will get on my back about any copywrite nonsense, as I'd hate to have to take his voice off and dub it with my own, and it's not like I'm profiting from this in any way.

Chris

Listen Chris, I don't mean to come down on you in particular, because a lot of people do this, and every one of these are - stupid. If that's too harsh for you, substitute "unnecessary."

I just cannot understand what the hell compels someone to set Bukowski's work to god damn music or video? Or illustrations, skywriting, or a toothpick house.

Are you that fucking bored? Get a hobby. Learn to work on car engines or something. Get addicted to a narcotic. Just do something else. Stop taking people's work and fucking it all up to suit your own idiotic artistic vision.

Nothing personal, mind you. ;) This is for every one of you assholes. Yeah, you. Knock it off. Fucking Valerians.

Man I just hated those Valerians in the latest Star Trek movie.
They just Quantumsuck.
:-P

Let's hope we'll have some sunny days in October.
I just watched the clip and it's a waste of time.
You can't eat caviar out of the wastebin and think it tastes better.

I don't know what a Valerian is? is that a medical plant or a Roman Emperor? I like the vitriol, clearly I must have touched a nerve, I had no idea people felt so strongly against youtube videos. You say I should take up a hobby, how is video editing not a hobby exactly?
I'll explain a bit more. I've been making videos for the past month or so for music producers using clips found on the internet for music producers who wouldn't have videos otherwise, people who haven't got record deals, maybe it'll lead onto some other things, maybe not, I just like making things. I do art, I write, I just like doing creative things. I like Bukowski, I thought I'd try one of his and see how it turned out. I'm not trying to break incredible new ground or blow anyone's mind, I just like making things.
I like reading his poems, and watching the documentaries, listening to his readings, but also I like a couple of the videos that are up on youtube. The Dinosauria one from the "Born into this" film is pretty good. I think a poem is quite well suited to a short video, maybe it's not pure enough for you, I think it's just another way of viewing it.

Also a lot of people probably have read a couple of bits of Bukowski and want to know some more, it's just making it easier for people to get into his work if they can look up a video and hear some of his poetry.

and putting his work to music can't be a bad thing as he did so himself in his album "bukowski lives"

One for the Shoeshine Man = the caviar.

Your artsy fartsy clip = the wastebin.

It's dishonouring. You're not him. See?

Hey yossari: what you did is valid if you think it's valid. Point being: here, we go for the word. I've always been bored by stuff about Buk; all I want to do is read Buk. So, knock yourself out. Do what you wanna do. But don't ask for vindication or validation here; you won't get it. As mjp said, don't take it personally.

If you want to do this, go ahead. Just don't expect us to like it. I will say that there have been several threads about Buk's live readings. I pretty much hate them. But his words jump off the page in a way that no other writer can match.

But I really don't want to spend my time watching or listening to how someone thinks or interprets Bukowski. Waste of time.
Best,

PS

Cool, I get where you're coming from, it just didn't occur to me at all. I wasn't really looking for validation or glowing praise, I just thought some of you might be interested, if I'd made a model railway, I'd have posted pictures of it at model railway dot net. I guess I'm trying to sell Bukowski and squezy bacon and cheese, to people who are Bukowskied up to their ears, who like thier Bukowski neat, who've already been pestered by people selling Bukowski with lemon, with lime, in spicy jerk sauce, in french haute quisine. I get it, I think you're wrong though.

In my head you're writing a book using the author name Ronald McDonald.
Title:" How I came up with the Bukowski Burger."
Have to get that nightmare vision out of my mind.

... I just cannot understand what the hell compels someone to set Bukowski's work to god damn music or video? Or illustrations, skywriting, or a toothpick house. ...
listen, mjp, I've got five years of work and god knows how many gallons of white glue into this toothpick house, and you come along and knock the wind out of my sails. Actually, it's a Bukowski Tiki Village, wth surfboards leaning up in a row along the fence, and umbrellas over picnic tables, not that you'd be interested.

Thank you Chris. It was okay but that isn't good enough for a great work of Bukowski.
The problem seems to be that when I read his poetry I picture most of that stuff in my head, my way not yours. So some of that stuff starts to irritate just like when someone is explaining a joke while they're telling it and usually they explain it a little wrong. Do that with a William Carlos Williams poem because I can't understand his poetry as well as I understand Bukowski.

I get it, I think you're wrong though.
I get your video too, and it's a piece of shit.

Take Bukowski out of it and it's still a piece of shit. It's about as creative as one of those electronic picture frames that sits on your boss' desk and cycles through pictures of his family all day.

But when you are discovered by one of those big Hollywood studios who are trolling YouTube for the next generation of genius filmmakers, you will be vindicated, and you can come here and mock and ridicule me and say, "See, I was right and you were wrong!"

Won't that be a great day in your life. Flipping the proverbial bird to me, all those girls who wouldn't look at you in high school, the bosses at your pizza delivery jobs, your Sunday school teacher, mom, dad - every one of us fuckers who didn't recognize your genius.

Yes, revenge is sweet. Your time is coming. Hang in there.

I'm not trying to do or be anything, some people just like making things, these fantasy's aren't mine their yours, and they're boring, second rate imitations, good luck with them.

If you're not trying to do or be anything, you must fill your void. I'm suggesting grains of maize. Swallow as much as you can, set the timer on five minutes and then climb into the microwave. Close the door and it will be a hell of creative fun.

Mjp, You can of course not appreciate his video but using words like "stupid", "unnecessary" or "piece of shit" is unkind, hurting and thus assuredly not the right way to welcome (if one can call it welcome) a new member. Imagine how you would feel if somebody told you bukowski.net is a piece of shit.

Welcome here, Yossari. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's any consolation Yossari, I kinda like video interpretations of poems. I like the one someone posted for The Man with the Beautiful Eyes--with the whole 1950's stylized art thing happening.

I think the trick is to not be so literal in your interpretation. If a shoeshine man is mentioned we don't need to see a clip of a shoeshine man, if a whore is mentioned--well, same thing--we don't need to see a whore. Abstraction goes a long way. The poem has a theme. Tap into it and show representations of that. Also, maybe pick a better poem--One For The Shoeshine Man isn't Bukowski's finest.

Anyway, just my two cents. Keep on keeping on! :cool:

Mjp, You can of course not appreciate his video but using words like "stupid", "unnecessary" or "piece of shit" is unkind, hurting and thus assuredly not the right way to welcome (if one can call it welcome) a new member. Imagine how you would feel if somebody told you bukowski.net is a piece of shit.

Welcome here, Yossari. :)

oh, don't worry about me, I quite like a bit of blunt honesty really.

Imagine how you would feel if somebody told you bukowski.net is a piece of shit.
Oh my! Well, I could only imagine such a thing, as it certainly has never, ever happened to me. I am well loved and respected, and everything I do is hailed as genius. As well it should be.

I am only humble so as to fit in amongst the rest of you. I am pretending to be a man of the people, though - lol - I'm sure you all know that I am so much more.

Ambreen, Ambreen - what would I do without your moral compass my little flower? I sent your family the beads, goat and $500 in traveler's checks, when does your boat arrive in California? I have such big plans for us...

God DAMN! Sheeit! All he did was post a youtube video. Not everyone can be a genius, but everyone can create, and discouraging people from sharing their creations is a mean thing to do. When I read posts like some of the ones above I think the obvious, which is " that person is obviously angry about something other than this person's art. Obviously". I don't mean to come out of the woodwork aggressively, but I rarely have internet access and it seems like aggressive might be the way to go around here. Anyway, something tells me MJP( great site, man) isn't getting the respect and praise he desires from his artistic endeavors. " ...and the word was BITTER", oh yeah, I went there.

Hey mikeypants! Why don't you attack me with something equally dumb? I'm here, I need to get shot. I put all my hatred because I'm overweight and underfucked, haven't painted a picture for years, can't afford a new drumkit, all the girls I fall in love with are lesbians, my mommy lives too far away, Curt Cobain is dead and oh my God MICHAEL JACKSON is dead, they don't have wastebins for plastic here but only those awkward yellow bags and you know what they do? they carry those bags away twice a month! that means I have to store the plastic waste in my cellar, those syphilistic motherfuckers, I totally hate myself, that's why I hate everybody else into my posts concerning poor innocent chris yossari. mjp gets all your attention and I tried so hard to be an asshole, you're just not fair. Now I'm crying into my pillow and it's all your fault.You're the one who's mean! I'm done with you! Forever! You can keep the shit lingerie you bought for me! I'll burn all your love letters! Traitor!

aaahh it feels great to be insane

hum, I've never known people to act like bellends on an internet forum before, this place is wierd, I bet wouldn't get this at ginsberg or corso or ferlinghetti dot net.

...discouraging people from sharing their creations is a mean thing to do.
Or it's a kind thing to do. A favor, you might say.

Please explain why a slideshow of images crowbarred on top of a Bukowski poem should be encouraged. Or why any equally non-imaginative tripe should be encouraged. Why we should hail every dorm room beer-bong creation that flies in through the window. Take your time.

While you're chewing on that, let's pause to give all the children a trophy! No one is a loser, everyone is a winner! Nothing is better than anything else. And for christ's sake, never voice an opinion! Opinions are bad. They could potentially hurt people's feelings.

Reality will always be encouraged here.

And I forgive you for being upset. I love you, you know that.

What's happened to you, Post toxic ? You seem abnormally agitated.
I don't think mikeypants' words are dumb, aggressiveness is often the rule here.

Nobody forbids anyone to express his opinion. But doing it tactfully makes the difference.

mjp do you think this is any good:

[some links]

????
Do those have something to do with your slide show? I didn't go to either link. I didn't look at them because you don't want my opinion, you are just waiting to make a point based on my reaction, so why not just make it and cut out the middleman.

Peace and love!

I just wanted to see what your opinion of them was that's all. The first link is to a documentary/arty farty film by Adam Curtis, who's a documentary maker for the bbc. The second one is a clip for Koyaanisqatsi which was an experimental film from Godfrey Reggio. Basically I think they both use the same methods of finding clips and stock footage and making a slideshow of images, though they both are very different to mine, I'm just using it as visuals to back Bukowski's poem, whilst the first one is kind of a paranoid social theory and the second is some kind of image poem, I don't know what you would call it. Anyway my point would be, these are probably the high point of people doing things like this, so I wanted to know what you thought of them. Whether you appreciated them at all, because if you thought they were shit, then that would effect my opinion of your veiws as clearly you're coming from a completely different persepective to myself. You get what I mean? If you were a person who hated all poetry I wouldn't really rate your opinions on my poems. Kind of blown it now though.

Sorry Post Toxic, but It's a rule of mine not to piss off any germans, especially one that has failed at painting. All I really mean is that it seems wrong to discourage someone from doing something that they enjoy and which is harmless. Anyway, Bukowski wrote an okay poem, but Yossari really brought the LIFE out of it. I guess Yossari might be a little bit of a masochist if he posted that here,( or he didn't read much of the forum) but come on. I guess computers and T.V. have made everyone into self-loathing elitists.Way back when, anyone who could play an instrument was cherished, now everyone's brains are rotting because they're afraid to create any type of art because it's not gonna be the best, well, there can only be one " best" and there's always gonna be someone better than the "best".

Greasy glove!

But Anton Schlickelgruber was from Austria, mikey. Anyway... Peace, Love and Pitbulls.

Ambreen, dear. I'm abnormaly normal as always. Read with full attention and you will see how it makes sense and includes fun. And stop teaching what you think is good behaviour, there's no need to hit on my morals because I have none.

War is peace, freedom is slavery, ignorance is strength. Who said that... wait, I'm thinking... ummmm.... it was... pfffff....ehm...

I guess computers and T.V. have made everyone into self-loathing elitists.
Bullshit. Having an opinion doesn't make someone an elitist.

That the form our friend chose to use is lazy and devoid of creativity isn't the point. I didn't like it, said so, and was taken to task, as is pretty common around here when I don't like something. I accept that, and I know it's coming as soon as I hit "submit" button on the post. If my dislike is stated in terms that are too strong for some of you, that's unfortunate, but it's not going to change.

The only difference between "not my cup of tea" and "piece of shit" is degree. To me they both mean the same thing, but one is couched in pleasantry.

Peace and love!

listen, mjp, I've got five years of work and god knows how many gallons of white glue into this toothpick house, and you come along and knock the wind out of my sails. Actually, it's a Bukowski Tiki Village, wth surfboards leaning up in a row along the fence, and umbrellas over picnic tables, not that you'd be interested.
That I would like to see. That's genius, there.

This forum has a history of not being very fond of using Bukowski in your own medium. Like playing a recording of his poem while anything else is pictured. So the more you try to drive it home the more likely we are to grab the pitch forks. I love everyone except Hitler.

Leaving the histrionics aside, just leave Buk to what he did. Verbal, videoed, written, painted. It's enough. To take anything further makes no real sense. It's his; and ours if we decide to procure it. But then, it's still his.

So, leave it alone. So very simple.

mjp said:
That I would like to see. That's genius, there.

When I was a kid we used to build Tiki huts and entire Tiki villages out of toothpicks. They had tiny surfboards carved out of icecream sticks. The huts had straw thatched roofs. They were very elaborate. So when you mentioned "toothpick houses" of course all those happy memories flooded back. I kind of like the idea of making one dedicated to Bukowski. I ran across some photos on Flicker of a diarama that some guy had made out of Legos illustrating a scene from a Richard Brautigan story. It was pretty good. Too unexpected to be just another dull rip-off. Do kids still make toothpick houses? I guess I could Google that and find millions of them.

I doubt if kids still make toothpick houses, but I'm old enough and from a hick enough town to have done it. I never got as elaborate as you did - I'd only seen surfboards on TV - but I could still make a good square wall if you need one.

So when you mentioned "toothpick houses" of course all those happy memories flooded back.

See, this is why I come here everyday; while one poor soul gets his artistic hopes and dreams pummeled to smithereens, another finds all the joy and comforts of home!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back