Greatest Guitarists - Yesterday & Today (1 Viewer)

Bass guitarStanley Clarke
Lead Guitar D.Zappa This young man is 20 times better than one of the other mentioned.
All Time Eric Clapton has to be it. I am right, keep that in mind for future reference.

Thank you homeless mind, good thread. I agree with all but one of the previous choices.

In all fairness to guitar players- I do not like Country and Western unless I'm drinking- Roy Clark is one of the best.

Gerard K H Love said:
In all fairness to guitar players- I do not like Country and Western unless I'm drinking- Roy Clark is one of the best.

From country perhaps a bit of southern...worth a listen to those who enjoy. The second has a quiet metal twist to it...

One is simple; one is gone with tuesday...

Thanks for the props, GKHL.

N Joy.

And for those who want some breeze:

Let me muddy the waters with some hoochie coochie, man...

(ok, before the flame, it's a great song; the riffs are stone cold awesome...and where would george thorogood be w/o him?)

George:

And if you dig the GOV of californication:

although he's not my favourite, Andy Summers' guitar work on Bring on the Night is among my favourite guitar moments. especially his second solo, that starts at the 3:17 mark and plays out. not groundbreaking, but really affects me.

For more of the Californication folks, here is what methinks may be you're biggest secret. Kick my ass and tell me it's not, but man, these guys jam. Incredible. I think the tube video has been viewed by about 500 peeps. That's wrong. When I did some work with D'Addario guitar strings, one of the boys gave me a bootleg of their shit. Still have it; and listen to it like it's from a pulpit.

Tell me if u dig it...

The Mermen:

Pat Metheny, John Scofield, John Williams, John McLaughlin, Paco deLucia, Wes Montgomery, Stephen Magnusson and Bill Frisell in no particular order.

I'm still digging. And diggin' it. Keith Richards gettin' bluesy. Love In Vain, '69 (?). Nice.

Now, gimme some shelter '72 (?):

Awesome...

And now, it's time to thrill you with some BB (deserves its own space, but wtf) Interesting story; I once painted Lucille, and gave it away to someone for free; didn't even know her; hope BB approves:

for the BB devotees, another V:

Pat Metheny, John Scofield, John Williams, John McLaughlin, Paco deLucia, Wes Montgomery, Stephen Magnusson and Bill Frisell in no particular order.

ROC, do you know Kurt Rosenwinkle?

and how come Bern Nix isn't on that list? ;)

ok, ROC has got me thinking about jazz guitarists some more.

one of my favourites and sorely overlooked, Billy Bauer. especially anything with Lenny Tristano, also sorely overlooked.

, Nancy Wilson, Lita Ford, Glen Buxton, Richie Ranno, Joe Perry, Earl "Chinna" Smith, Johnny Ramone...what was the point of this again?

What is your favorite flavor popsicle?

I'm ashamed of myself that I forgot to mention Leo Kottke. It must be the extra strings.
Chronic has some great picks. Mjp has got to be kidding with at least one of his. Maybe.....who knows.

But is all guitar, although he does sing which he describes as goose farts on a muggy day.

Mjp has got to be kidding with at least one of his.
No way. I can defend every one of those. I define "great" my way, and I understand that most everyone on earth has other definitions. Some people enjoy seeing the fruits of millions of hours of practice. I don't happen to be one of them. There is no soul in perfection. And certainly none in the pursuit of perfection.

I see no difference between Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, The New York Dolls, Peter Tosh and Husker Du. They are one side of the coin. People who want to be somehow intellectually challenged by their music are the other. Same coin. I just prefer when the awkward, pimply, sometimes unpleasant living, breathing side comes up.

A lot of people like some really crappy music (and writing and film and theater and art) because they don't understand it, and they think, "If I don't understand this, it must be really profound!" They mistakenly think that the people making that incomprehensible artlike mess know something they don't.

I'm not necessarily talking about the musicians mentioned here or the people who like them, that's just a general observation from 35 years spent neck deep in music and art.

But you know, music is music. It's subjective. Frank Zappa and Abba are both stuck with the same 12 notes.

Well, there's being in control of the material you possess and then there is how much material you possess.
Both play a role in my judgement of what I consider great and otherwise.

A good friend of mine practices guitar for 6 hours a day, most days and he's almost incapable of making music; he's terrible.

But no-one ever got anywhere without being in control of their materials - even if that's 'just' playing the blues over and over or country or whatever. And that takes practice.

I get bored with players who are very obviously limited or confined to doing only a handful of things for lack of craft, imagination or exposure. And that is 95% of popular music guitarists.

As for "no soul in perfection" or the pursuit thereof, one need not waste words arguing with that sentiment. Rather, simply say "Bach".

Of course, you may be talking just about guitarists, but I assumed otherwise.

I like Bach, but I would rather listen to Mozart or Beethoven, for the same reasons mentioned above. But classical composers aren't really a good comparison to guitar players because we'll never really hear their music played under their control, on the period instruments with rats nipping at our ankles and influenza about to kill us...that experience is long gone. Imagine someone two hundred years from now playing Jimi Hendrix songs from sheet music. That would sure be wild to hear, but it probably would not remind us of Hendrix playing.

Yes, you can hear a large amount of classical music under the direct control of the composer. Shostakovich, Stravinsky, Schoenberg (conducting), Busoni, Part, Rautavaari, Messiaen and Ravel (playing) to name just a few. Some even playing their own music in the case of Busoni and Ravel.

But it seldom sounds as good because they spent their time practising composition not specific instruments.

But you start by saying one can't compare classical composers to guitar players and then do so.
Two hundred years from now, playing Hendrix from sheet music would probably fail simply because there is no conventional notation for many of the effects Hendrix used.

Of course some players (if they are in control of their craft) will be able to get very close by listening to the recordings and imitating. In fact, we are there now.

Anywho... we like what we like and there rarely needs to be (or can be) a solid justification for it. So I'll shut up now :)

I like Bach, but I would rather listen to Mozart or Beethoven, for the same reasons mentioned above. But classical composers aren't really a good comparison to guitar players because we'll never really hear their music played under their control, on the period instruments with rats nipping at our ankles and influenza about to kill us...that experience is long gone. Imagine someone two hundred years from now playing Jimi Hendrix songs from sheet music. That would sure be wild to hear, but it probably would not remind us of Hendrix playing.

Solti may be as close as it gets.
Here's a brief behind the scenes of the man:

[This video is unavailable.]

Beethoven & Solti:

More Bee & Sir Georg:

Pax, hm

I see no difference between Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, The New York Dolls, Peter Tosh and Husker Du. They are one side of the coin. People who want to be somehow intellectually challenged by their music are the other. Same coin. I just prefer when the awkward, pimply, sometimes unpleasant living, breathing side comes up.
In that case I sure you could fit Neil Young in there somewhere... maybe after Bo Diddley?

Michael Hedges and everything stopped when he died.
He was going to places with an acoustic guitar no one had gone before.
And he could sing too.

Yes, you can hear a large amount of classical music under the direct control of the composer. Shostakovich, Stravinsky, Schoenberg (conducting), Busoni, Part, Rautavaari, Messiaen and Ravel (playing) to name just a few. Some even playing their own music in the case of Busoni and Ravel.
Since you brought up Bach, I was thinking more of his general contemporaries, the old dead guys, a couple hundred years in the dirt.

But you start by saying one can't compare classical composers to guitar players and then do so.
I brought up the Hendrix analogy to show why it wasn't a good comparison.

But I've kinda forgotten what we're talking about...

Oh, the pursuit of perfection. When I think of that I don't think of someone like Bach, but more of someone like Robert Schumann, who refused to accept that his physical injuries would prevent him from being the great pianist he thought he could be (and by all accounts he would have been), sitting at the piano with a counterweighted pulley system he devised pulling his lame fingers upward as he struggled to pound them down onto the keys...

But then I appreciate that kind of crazy, tunnel-vision single mindedness, so maybe that's not a good example. And he wasn't really striving for perfection, he was trying to overcome adversity, so scratch that.

Anyway, again, my tastes are not typical and I know that, so I go into any conversation like this already on the defensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back