Abbey Road released 45 years ago today (1 Viewer)

mjp

Founding member
In the UK, anyway. It was released in the U.S. five days later on October 1st.

I was only 9 years old, so I couldn't get high while I listened to it. Since I wasn't high I thought half the songs were crap. Later I came to appreciate most of them. Well, one of them anyway. Four of them seem to continue to be crap, lo these many years later. I'll leave which four to your imagination.

Come Together
Something
Maxwell's Silver Hammer
Oh! Darling
Octopus's Garden
I Want You (She's So Heavy)
Here Comes the Sun
Because
Medley
Her Majesty

Don't forget, you can spy on the zebra crossing any time day or night.

I first heard Abbey Road on eight-track around I guess 70 or 71. I was never that partial to Something, and Sinatra' s cover didn't help the cause.

I'll leave which four to your imagination.

Maxwell's Silver Hammer
Oh! Darling
Octopus's Garden
Her Majesty

I first heard Abbey Road on eight-track around I guess 70 or 71. I was never that partial to Something, and Sinatra' s cover didn't help the cause.

Sinatra cited it as one of Lennon and McCartney's best. :?:

Notwithstanding that bit of ignorance, listen to McCartney's bassline in headphones. If you actually have a soul, you might change your mind.

Last edited:
Good imagination, but probably not a hard guess. ;)

Something is okay, but that record has one of Harrison's masterpieces in Here comes the sun. Pop music perfection, right there.

13d273b01c4001329d0f005056a9545d.gif

It gets confusing sometimes...

I especially like "Come Together" and "I Want You", but most of the other songs are fine too. However, I could do without "Maxwell's Silver Hammer". I guess I´m not into octopusses gardens.

I Want You is probably the finest moment from Abbey Road for me. I do also really like the way Her Majesty ends things. Of course, you could view it as Paul getting the last word, but Lewisohn would indicate that Paul wanted it thrown away, but there were orders at Abbey Road to never throw anything by the Beatles away (of course, there were plenty of record-overs, so there's that), and the way Sun King/Mean Mr. Mustard and Polythene Pam/She Came in Through the Bathroom Window were cut up and spliced together resulted in the Her Majesty fragment at the tail end of a master. Or something like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back